Forums

Charging Adapter: 220v 1030

Charging Adapter: 220v 1030

My 220v 1030 adapter (the one with the strangely slanted plugin pins) has failed, and Tesla no longer makes the adapter. Yet it's the only plug I have in my house to charge from. Does anyone have one that they're not using? Would be willing to buy one (or two) or swap for another adapter that I have and am not using.

Tesla has tried to find one for me, but so far no luck. Hoping to find a private owner out there who might have one that they're not using.

Thanks.

Jeff Hudson | August 29, 2016

If I was in your situation I would ask an electrician to change the outlet to a NEMA 14-50 and use the Tesla adapter that came with the vehicle.

larrylaskowski52 | August 29, 2016

Yes, of course. But I'm in a rental house and that would be difficult. Meanwhile I've found something on amazon that might work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STD8S7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s...

Fingers crossed.

UnshodBob | August 29, 2016

@larry - you will probably have to set the amperage to 24 in the charging screen once, and the car should remember that setting at that location from then on. I have not tested this, but the manual says that's what it will do. Good luck. I wish they would bring the 10-30 adapters back. I'd like to get a spare or two. The 14-30 adapter was recently made available again.

KP in NPT | August 29, 2016

is this the one? just made available again - within the past week.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/produc...

Bighorn | August 29, 2016

@mp
Close, but no That's the newer dryer plug-4 prong vs 3 Needs a 10-30,

Yes, close... but no.

Changing settings will not help. The actual hardware adapter has failed. So i need to find something I can plug into that peculiar outlet.

@lary - after you buy the non-tesla adapter (10-30p to 14-50r cord) and plug it into your wall outlet, you'll use the Tesla 14-50 adapter to plug your UMC in. That adapter expects a 50 amp circuit which allow 40 amps charging. You don't want to draw 40 amps from a 30 amp circuit. You need to dial the amps down on your charger screen in the car to 24 amps because you only have a 30 amp circuit. The car will remember that setting at that location so you'll only have to set it once. If Tesla offered the full array of adapters, you would not have to set the charging amperage.

Thank you. Thanks makes good sense.

vperl | August 29, 2016

Do not quote me or anything.

If one follows instructions, you may design your Adapter, they claim to have 10-30 adapter

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/Service-Build-a-custom-30A-adapter-A-30...

@vperl - that wouldn't be a "smart" adapter, though. I wonder what is inside the Tesla adapters that tell the car or the UMC box with the LEDs how to set the amperage properly.

vperl | August 29, 2016

It is and adapter, plug it to you UMC

But, I guess you are better informed

One might read what this outfit does.

10-30 amp

@vperl - the Tesla adapters automatically set the charging amps in the car to the proper amount for the 15, 20, 30 or 50 amp circuit you will plug into. I think there is something inside each adapter that tells the system what to set the amps to. The adapter is the only difference in the wiring so it must be in there.

Like maybe just a resister across the two big wires that has a different value for each amperage. Just guessing, 15000 ohms for 15 amps, up to 50000 ohms for 50 amps. Or 80% of those to reflect the continuous load amperage, so 12000 ohms for 12 amps on a 15 amp circuit, to 40000 ohms for 40 amps on a 50 amp circuit. The system would apply voltage to the two big wires during charging prep, read the resistor's value, set the proper amperage, and then begin the charging cycle.

If we knew the secret, we could make DIY "smart" adapters. That would be safer than the current method of buying or jury-rigging "dumb" adapters that can, if misused, cause a fire.

vperl | August 29, 2016

Glad, we have electrical engineers on this site with expert advice.

The company below is not any good, report them... Selling faulty adapters .

Tesla forums have folks that are experts, glad I found out all the facts.

@vperl - I'm no engineer. I have no idea if that company makes good or bad adapters, but I assume they work fine and are safe electrically as far as they can control it. The problem with any adapter that uses different amperage outlet configurations is that the end user can plug in a device that will exceed the safe amperage level for that circuit.

For example, the adapter needed here has a 10-30 plug connected to a 14-50 outlet. The circuit in the wall can only safely supply 24 amps continuously. The 14-50 outlet can have a Tesla plugged into it or some other device, such as a clothes dryer or an electric oven which may draw 40 amps continuously or even 50 amps for a shorter time. Those levels can melt wires or start a fire at the outlet or in the wall. The Tesla has a screen that the user can use to set a SAFE charging amperage to prevent disaster. If the user forgets to set it, bad things can happen.

@vperl - Your last comment sounds like sarcasm, but I'm answering seriously, just in case. Electrical fires are no joke.

vperl | August 29, 2016

I is no expert, on any subject. Just put link down.

Rocky_H | August 30, 2016

Wow, I'm surprised it has gotten this far down the thread and no one has suggested the safe solution. Since the official Tesla adapters set the current level, you now have a solution that will work for this. You can buy one of the Tesla 14-30 adapters they just made available again. Then, you can get an adapter pigtail that has a 14-30 receptacle on one end and a 10-30 plug on the other end. Since it's adapting 30A to 30A, the current will be safely limited without your having to dial anything down on the car's charging screen or having to worry about if it accidentally resets itself to 40A or something dangerous.

Rocky_H | August 30, 2016

Or, you could take the outlet out of the wall and mount either a Tesla wall connector or some other J1772 charging station onto that circuit at 30A. That would also manage the current properly.

vperl | August 30, 2016
UnshodBob | August 30, 2016

@Rocky - that's because you're smarter than us yokels. :)

vperl | August 30, 2016

Gee whiz, wonder how that was figured out.

vperl | August 30, 2016

Charging adapter great idea

larrylaskowski52 | September 2, 2016

An update: The adapter from Amazon works just fine, and the car does seem to remember the 24A setting. So I'm good for now. Thanks to all for your input.

UnshodBob | September 2, 2016

@larry - glad to hear the GPS remembers the lowered amperage setting. I think you are the first person I have read about that is using this pigtail type of adapter as their normal home charging method, instead of just using it temporarily at a campground or at a relative's home. (Probably there are dozens or hundreds, in reality.)

ram1901 | September 6, 2016

As @vperl noted above: evseadapters.com
is the go to place for high quality adapter cables.

It is where I purchased any adapters or adapter cables not provided by Tesla.
They are well made, heavy duty and reasonably priced.

vperl | September 6, 2016