Forums

AP question to those out there who use it

AP question to those out there who use it

Does AP work if there is no cell service? Out here in the boonies I had to program it by driving the route myself. This way the car learned how to get there and remembered. Anyone else experience this?

KP in NPT | October 20, 2016

No.

andy.connor.e | October 20, 2016

i would ask this in the Model S or X page where there are more Tesla owners.

dd.micsol | October 20, 2016

Thanks mp and andy. AP doesn't work very well where I am. No signal most of my area. I probably won't want it on my 3 as it doesn't work well here. If it comes bundled I might have it anyways.

If AP is using cameras and radar, why does it need a signal? It isn't tied in to the Nav.

Well all the cars will come with the hardware pre-loaded, so if you ever change your mind you can just activate it. But expect that to be a significant cost.

I thought about not getting AP right off the bat, but i considered how hard it will be to come up with the cash later on, whereas you could just finance it with the car upon purchase. Will make it much more affordable in the long run for an extra $50-70/month.

PhillyGal | October 20, 2016

@mp - It doesn't.

I miss McLary.

iaeen | October 20, 2016

Can anyone even answer this question?

All future cars will have EAP or full autonomous mode rather than AP 1.0. We're talking about an entirely different system than what was previously offered, so who knows what it will be capable of (other than Tesla engineering)?

DTsea | October 20, 2016

ap doesnt use cell service. works fine. doesnt work at night in heavy rain when camera cant see well though.

Can't use the nav how does it know where to go? I put in the address then it hangs.... and hangs... and hangs... then returns to main screen. no wifi in garage-too far away-about 150' and we have aluminum siding and a small solar farm. To use it I have to drive to a location where there is service then tell it where to go. Then the mS now can do it by itself. I hope the new system is better. I love the boonies and won't move anytime in the next 20 yrs.

Ok, so you are having NAV issues due to poor signal. But NAV and AP have nothing to do with each other. You asked if anyone was having AP issues due to no signal and the answer would be no since signal has nothing to do with AP.

I'm trying to use ap to get to work-issue is it doesn't know where the car is when I start the trip from my house.

Linemanap | October 20, 2016

It uses gps so as long as your on the earth AP should work and maps would be stored on the computer and updated over the air

Where I am gps usually can't find me. My cell can't. My wife's cell can't. My garmin can't. My wife's tomtom can't either.

AP will not help this issue.

Linemanap | October 20, 2016

Take off the tin foil hat next time you drive

PhillyGal | October 20, 2016

Owners can just read their owner's manual. It's posted under your VIN number on your MyTesla page.
That'll tell you all you need to know about why AP won't get you to work from your house.

PBEndo | October 20, 2016

@dd.micsol
Does your Garmin require a cellular data connection? Most dedicated GPS devices will work just fine in the boonies since the GPS satellite signals are available on the entire surface of the earth.
Do you live underground? Middle Earth, perhaps?

He's in a vortex. Clearly.

SbMD | October 20, 2016

@dd.micsol - Pretty sure that since you claimed to work at MIT, you should have been able to figure this out. And as others point out, AP has nothing to do with cell signals or NAV.

Don't you know how to get to work from your house? Why do you need NAV? And Boston/Cambridge isn't exactly "remote".

Linemanap | October 21, 2016

I live and work in the real boonies and have a laptop with gps and stored maps and it has never failed to work so the only thing it could be is that you are really dumb or it is broken ( yes i know this is false logic)

tstolz | October 22, 2016

Your M ☰ will be able to drive at a L5 (fully autonomous) level by about 2018 pending regulations. This includes in the boonies where cell signals are weak to non existent.

There will be shoulder issues in the early years which will demand regulators ensure a licensed driver is in the vehicle to take over should the vehicle become confused. The vehicle btw will simply pull over and stop if it doesn't know what to do ... just like we all should.

Shoulder issues will include blinding rain, snow, and dust storms .. severe black ice .. plus wrong or inaccurate maps .. as can happen in the boonies. I suspect the car will be programmed to be conservative in all of its driving and will not self-drive when conditions are not safe and/or when lost.

ccsccs7 | October 23, 2016

I only have GPS issues in the hills (where cellular signals do tend to be sparse or nonexistent). This only references my phone, not any kind of navigational services or Autopilot on a Tesla.

PBEndo | October 23, 2016

@ccsccs7
In the hills, your GPS is still working, but your phone can't download the maps to show your location and the surroundings. That is why dedicated GPS devices (like a Garmin or Tomtom) have stored maps. Most of those devices don't have a real-time data connection. That is also why they still work in the boonies, out at sea, etc. In very steep valleys, tunnels, urban canyons, etc. the GPS signal may be blocked or less accurate, but those situations are rare, especially in nature. I have been hiking deep in the Rocky Mountains (I ran into Pungoteague_Dave there - what a small world!) and never had a problem getting coordinates via GPS on my phone thought the phone could not download the map data.
BTW - there are apps that allow you to download and store maps on your phone for this purpose.

ccsccs7 | October 24, 2016

@PBEndo: I'm referring to the accuracy or accessibility of the GPS signal. Even with downloaded maps (I'm very much aware of dedicated GPS phone apps that don't rely on downloading maps on the fly), sometimes it gets very turned around or loses GPS signal—a rare occurrence, yes.

Haggy | October 31, 2016

Autopilot on current cars works fine with no cell service. There could be some car features overall that might not work as well, but the camera reads the lane lines and speed limit signs, and the radar doesn't care about a cell phone connection. But there might be more white list data if there's a cell signal. I've never had problems in an area without cell signal.

There are two components to the navigator on the Model S/X. The navigation software as well as the maps that are displayed on the dashboard are all local. The Model S/X center console uses Google maps and overlays the route information from the navigator. If you are in a remote location with no cell signal, the Google maps won't load. But the navigator will work fine. You just might not see it on the center console. It's rare enough that I don't remember what you see, but I think you see the blue line for the route without the underlying detail.

In any event, until we know more about the Model 3 interior, it's hard to say how this will translate. It's almost definite that the navigator will work without a cell signal and that autopilot will work fine. As for full autonomy, I have no way of knowing what data it will need to get, but I assume it will get all the data at the beginning of the trip and cache it if at all possible. I don't imagine that Tesla will design a car that will crash without a cell phone signal.

Since the Model S/X displays the map on the dashboard with or without cell signal, it's not the end of the world if you go deep in the woods and have no cell signal. With the Model 3, we don't know but I assume that there will be at least one display with local maps.