Forums

5-20 adapter

5-20 adapter

I travel for work and my employer is kindly letting me charge my TSLA S 75kw at work, I live 150 miles away, and stay at my work locations 3 days a week in an apt, on the second floor, no garage. Thus I cant charge at the apt.

At work I plugged in my 5-15 adapter, but noted it had 5-20 plug. In the interest of saving a few $$ can I use http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?id=28519, or will only the tesla adapter work, because at 5-20 I will get 5 miles per hour at 16 amps, vs the 3 miles per hour Im getting at 12 amps, given I have 125 miles to the supper charger enroute home, I need that extra mileage.

Thanks

Bighorn | January 14, 2017

Your 5-15 adapter will likely limit the current to 12 amps--don't know that you can override that.

mdd | January 14, 2017

Try and find a hotel/restaurant with a destination charger in the area. Ask them if you can charge up for an hour (or two) before leaving.

KP in NPT | January 14, 2017

I would not use that adapter. There are adapters made specifically for EVs - maybe others here can say for certain.

Bighorn | January 14, 2017

As long as the 5-15 adapter is in the line-up, the car will use that as a reference point. You'd have to either use the Tesla 5-20 adapter or make an adapter that converted a 5-20 plug to 14-50 plug, if you're trying to avoid buying a $45 adapter.

mscott | January 14, 2017

Just spend the $45 and get the Tesla 5-20 adapter. I have it, used it once. No need to mess around with unwieldy adapters and remembering to turn down your charing amperage. You're getting the electricity for free, you're going to use it nearly every day, and you'll get 33% faster charging. Is it really worth trying to save $38?

Besides, you'll likely spend at least $45 trying to adapt a 5-20 to a 14-50. As BH said, as long as the 5-15 adapter is on the UMC, you're going to be limited to 12A. I'm all for saving a few bucks, but in this case, it will be more trouble that it's worth.

vchowdry | January 14, 2017

Bought the adapter, I was just curious

There definitely are times to purchase non-Tesla adapters, but those are pretty much where Tesla doesn't make an adapter for the plug you need. The biggest omission in their line-up is the NEMA 14-30 (and, now, it seems, the NEMA 10-30, too). These are for dryer plugs at 30A and are the highest current outlets you'll likely find any any residence. (And there are very few houses which don't have one of these plugs.) I know Tesla used to sell a 10-30, but I think they're not available now because they've been recalled. I've never seen a 14-30 (although they might have had it many years ago), which is a real shame because that's what you'll find in many newer houses. I bought a 14-30 to 10-30 adapter on Amazon, but if Tesla had offered the 14-30, I definitely would have gone with that. The Amazon adapter is huge and cost about $70.

Bighorn | January 15, 2017

Tesla sold a 14-30 adapter on again off again but I think it's tied up in the recall.