Forums

Recent Austin to Vail Trip

Recent Austin to Vail Trip

I took delivery of my MX 75D 5 seater on December 22, 2016. On January 18th I started my trip from Austin to Amarillo. The on board Nav system wanted to route me up I-35N to Waco, Denton, and continue to Oklahoma City then I-40W to Amarillo. That seemed a roundabout way. I consulted the Supercharger Map and saw I could eliminate 45 extra miles by traveling diagonally from Austin to Cisco-Childress-Amarillo.

Austin to Cisco is 179 Actual Miles (AM). I started fully charged (237 miles) at 5:40am in heavy scattered rain and 58°. I arrived in Cisco with only 18 Range Miles (RM) remaining.

My next SC was in Childress, 191 (AM) distance. I was nervous going there directly since my first leg left me with only 18 remaining miles. After charging (217 RM) in Cisco I decided not to chance Childress directly but charge in Vernon after driving 145 miles. The Hampton Inn in Vernon has a Tesla charger. Diverting to Vernon only added 10 extra miles, but the slower charging option added 95 minutes. I briefly Supercharged when reaching Childress, then continued to Amarillo where I stayed overnight. This part of my journey took 13 hours travelling 502 miles, door to door.

I kept a log and made an entry for each leg to the next SC. I entered STARTING & DESTINATION data points for:

Actual Miles (AM)
Range Miles (RM)
Range Miles Balance (RMB)
Charging Time (CT)
Range Miles charged (RMC)
Range Miles Driven (RMD)

I wanted to get incite on how efficiently I was driving so I could more accurately predict where to SC next.

As an example on my following days journey from Amarillo to Vail, one leg was from Las Vegas, NM to Trinidad, CO. The AM is 124. I started with 214 RM. When I reached Trinidad I had a RMB of 69.

I created a data point I call my Efficency Factor (EF). I simply divide Range Miles Driven by Actual Miles driven, for each leg. In this example I started with 214 RM after charging in Las Vegas. I reached Trinidad with a RMB of 69. Subtracting 69 from 214 gave me 145 RMD. The actual miles driven is simply taken from the odometer readings.

In this example dividing RMD (145) by AM (124) = 1.17 EF. This means the energy needed on this leg is 17% more to achieve the actual miles driven. So the next time I drive this leg I can predict if I need to stop in Trinidad or wait until Colorado Springs. I can also see various trends when comparing the EF of my different legs.So when driving a new leg I can more accurately predict if I need to charge SOONER rather than LATER.

Incidentally my Amarillo -Vail journey was 651 miles and 14 hours 16 min., door to door. So my 2nd day I drove 149 MORE miles with only 76 more minutes than 1st day. I was more efficiently managing my SC stops.

Needless to say, these were 2 very long days especially since I was driving myself. However I was not as fatigued as I would have suspected, since I could rest during my SC.

Hope you can gain from my experience. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm still learning but so far enjoying the adventure.

Solarman004 | January 22, 2017

Great review, Saxman. Another interesting parameter for you to log would be net elevation gain for each leg between charging stops. Coming back to CO from TX is uphill. You can plug each leg into EVTrip Planner to get the elevation delta between your stops.

jRoGville | January 22, 2017

I hope you were doing this on an Excel spreadsheet on your iPad!

Leeo | January 22, 2017

What works for me as I just make sure I have 20% remaining when I get to the next supercharger if possible. I don't use the miles remaining because it's not an accurate number. I'm on Tesla number three and this has worked well for me.

burdogg | January 22, 2017

Saxman - another thing yo needed or in the future need is the temperature throughout your trip - collect it through each range, the highs and lows you see as you drive each leg. This will have an effect on your efficiency. Colder air is more dense and thus more drag on your vehicle. Also recording speeds you choose. I know you know this, but you are making this trip at some of the worse time. You may be pleasantly surprised when you make this trip in the spring or summer :)

Just some more data I would collect though to help you if you plan on using this info constantly for this trip you make. Great info for some out there.

Teslapalooza | January 22, 2017

Nice analysis @Saxman. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Based on the few 250 mile round trips I have done in my area so far (weather 45 to 50F, and 70 MPH average highway speed, mostly level roads except for a 5 mile uphill stretch one way, cabin temp set to 70F, standard 20 inch wheel), my observation is I get 40 fewer actual miles that the Car says it has at the beginning of trip. In other words, I charge it to 237 miles (as shown on the display) and I actually get about 197 mile in actual distance.

campusden | January 22, 2017

Were you in range mode for this trip?

Saxman | January 22, 2017

Thanks for your input everyone:

Burdogg-yes I did record beginning and destination temp. I did also make note of range of mph, predominantly used.
I usually went 70 max, even in 75 zones, just to be conservative.

MrrJm- the way I made the RMB more accurate was to divide that # by the current leg EF. So if my RMB was 50 and my EF was 1.17, then 50 ÷ 1.17= 42.7 miles remaining ... not 50.

Campusden

I did not set range mode but kept off cabin heat & only used seat & steering wheel heat.

I didn't mention that regeneration played a big part on certain legs and actually got more that rated range miles, as a result.

Campusden

I did not set range mode but kept off cabin heat & only used seat & steering wheel heat.

I didn't mention that regeneration played a big part on certain legs and actually got more that rated range miles, as a result.

Well done Saxman :)

Burdogg- thanks for your inspiration and great feedback, since my time on the forum.

Bighorn | January 22, 2017

Your efficiency factor is so simplistic as to be useless and ill-advised. Get on evtripplanner.com and study how altitude, speed and temperature factor in. Then consider weather and prevailing winds and road speed relative to average. Payload is minimally impactful. Normally expect to average 50MPH over distances.

lilbean | January 22, 2017

FYI. Bighorn holds the record for most superchargers visited. 262 +

I agree, but the hard part is evtripplanner does not have the Model X on there to be as helpful as it is with the S. Right now, the X owners are al trying to figure out how everything is affecting them. It is hard to find out how those things effect the X on evtripplanner until more data is available from them.

But yes, I wouldn't come up with my own multiplier as variables are constantly changing.

lilbean | January 22, 2017

Oh. I had no idea. :-)

Wasn't aware that Ben hasn't gotten the X up on the site. It's still going to provide a lot of insight and data, especially on the details tab showing ups/downs and prevailing speeds. I'd be looking for what vehicle was comparable either directly or with a speed factor fudge factor for the increased frontal area.

Saxman - THe data you collected is good for you for that trip. It will help you know that trip and better manage it constantly. I would be careful applying a multiplier from that trip to a trip say up to Wyoming :) Different variables. As you continue to collect data though and be aware how things effect your range, you will better be able to navigate your range and how it all comes together. So, don't be discouraged with what you have - continue to build on it and plan and pay attention.

poloX | January 22, 2017

Saxman, thanks for the info.

Bighorn
I never said my EF was a panacea for ALL TRIPS. It is based on a specific leg, from one SC to another. I recorded in my log, EACH leg and specific as to temp, wind, and my speed.

I consulted the EV PLANNER prior to my trip. It agrees with Nav System and routes me 45 miles out of my way. It has me stopping at 6 SC stops between Austin & Amarillo. My route has me stopping only 3 times.

Thank you, but I prefer my route, simplistic as it may be.

@Bighorn - yeah he only has a P90D and even warns it is just in beta as there is not enough info on it yet. The X is just so new, there is still some trailblazing needed to get more accurate data. The downside too is that we are in the worse weather conditions so everyone is getting less than the rated and wondering if they will ever get rated miles :) I keep telling them to be patient and see how it all plays out through the seasons to get the best feel for the vehicle.

Burdogg
I was actually encouraged by my data, rather than discouraged. Since I plan on making this trip at least twice a year, I think consulting my logbook will be helpful.

And yes, I do know that when I do this trip again in spring, my range should improve.

:)

Good to hear Saxman :) - It will be very helpful and as you do it more, you will come to know what to expect without even the logbook - it will become second nature to you :) Good to hear about your experiences. Keep the log. Go look at evtripplanner and contact him to see how you can share your info with him to help out there. The more data he gets, the better he is able to get the Model X on there and specific battery too. Then evtripplanner will become much more helpful to ourselves, and all future owners.

Good idea Burdogg, I will contact him.
:)

He's a busy Stanford student. Here's what you need...
https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/tracker/tracker_about.php

Solarman004 | January 22, 2017

@Saxman, for the MX 75D with 20" tires on EV Trip Planner, I've found the following vehicle combo to be fairly accurate, but conservative:
MS 70D, 21" tires, speed factor = 1.1 (summer), 1.2 (winter)

Great job with your cross country. Hopefully you'll see some new SCs (Lubbock maybe?) that will allow you to cut the corner in the future.

Thanks Solarman. I appreciate the info.