Forums

Will Tesla Service Install OEM products?

Will Tesla Service Install OEM products?

I noticed the Aluminum Pedal Set that looks 'exactly' like Tesla's official ones are available on Amazon for almost half the price! If I buy these, will Tesla Service install them for me? I'd rather someone more handy than I, install them.

Anyone buy these OEM pedals yet?

Thx.

Silver2K | March 6, 2017

they wont install stuff you don't buy from them. they gave me a hard time about my nokian winter tires when they had to correct the alignment they screwed up. The interesting part was they said it was ok to use those tires and would not effect service when I originally called them about the tires before I bought them.

lilbean | March 6, 2017

They will install the performance pedals for you if you order from them.

tes-s | March 6, 2017

When they replaced my windshield, they would not re-attach my Blackvue dashcam.

ST70 | March 6, 2017

do the performance pedals give you more performance :-)

Silver2K | March 6, 2017

ST70

it give you the feeling of power!

Yes!

Silver2K | March 6, 2017

effect/affect!

dpena23 | March 6, 2017

I like the cleanliness of the aluminum steel... and easier to clean. It's just a looks thing.

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I guess it's either I get someone else to install them or I wait for the official ones to be back at the store.... =_='

lilbean | March 6, 2017

I bought pedals from Jerry at formytesla.com and installed the brake pedal myself. It was easy. All I had to do was remove the rubber brake pedal and slip the aluminum one on. The accelerator was a whole other story. I worked on it for over an hour and my fingers felt like they were ripped to shreds. They were bright red and painful. I was nearly in tears. Never again. I would definitely go to a Tesla Service Center to have them install the genuine Tesla pedals. I would rather pay double than go through that again. My husband finally put it on for me but it wasn't easy. There isn't a lot of room to work down there.

dpena23 | March 6, 2017

@lilbean.

I've read the same story from the reviewer on Amazon. He said, as nice as the pedals were, they were a pain and quite a bit of work to install by himself. Urrgh...

Millionmilesorbust | March 6, 2017

Sometimes it's just worth it in the long run to let the professionals do the work. I had service install mine that I ordered direct. I agree that they look nicer and are much easier to keep clean.

lilbean | March 6, 2017

dpena, Installing that pedal tops my list as of one of the most physically frustrating, annoying things I've ever had to do. Part of it ripped because it doesn't fit right. Even though it's installed now, I still want to rip out this aftermarket pedal and have Tesla install the genuine part. It was that annoying and it came with some scratches on it.

akikiki | March 6, 2017

dpena23, I think lilbean can confirm, but the Amazon and the pedals lilbean has are not pedals. They are covers that fit (with some degree of difficulty) over the original metal pedals. I think the Tesla solution is they actually remove the existing pedals and replace them.

lilbean | March 6, 2017

Correct, aikiki. The accelerator pedal is a cover and the brake pedal is the actual pedal. That's why the accelerator cover is nearly impossible to put on.

spineeric | March 6, 2017

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10018335/3786400-car-brake-accelerat...

I'm 5'7", 135 and I installed these after market aluminum pedals myself just yesterday. The brake pedals is easier to install as lilbean mentioned. The accelerator cover took a lot of effort and even more cussing but I finally got it on. I can explain how I did it if you want my instructions. I tried using gloves because one of my fingers started hurting (know what I mean lilbean??) and then I tried using a panel removal tool. In the end all you need are your strong fingers without gloves. I could install another much quicker only because I finally figured out how to do it. Isn't that always the case? : )

If you are a larger guy with large hands it might be difficult because there isn't a lot of room between the accelerator pedal and the center console. But if I can do it, anybody can do it! And I'm sticking to that story!

lilbean | March 6, 2017

I know what you mean, spineeric! :-)

Silver2K | March 6, 2017

spineeric
what's a center console?

Silver2K | March 6, 2017

for goodness sakes, just buy the Performance version of the vehicle and save yourself a headache!

:)

Silver2K | March 6, 2017
dpena23 | March 6, 2017

What's the password???

Okay! I'll wait for the original version, even though they're over-priced. At least installation is free.... ^_-

Now the waiting game......

dpena23 | March 7, 2017

Waahh.... the Aluminum Pedals on Amazon I was looking at yesterday went from, 10 In-stock to 3 In-stock. I wonder if some forumers read this post and decided to order em anyway.... humm...

Tropopause | March 7, 2017

Independent studies have proven that the rubber petals give the driver more control because of the added traction between pedal and foot! ;)

reed_lewis | March 7, 2017

Personally, I prefer the standard pedals compared to the all metal ones. The rubber gives me control.

trinity_snow | March 7, 2017

@spineeric: Can you please explain/post your instructions?

If straight-forward enough, I may pull the trigger and get the 'cheap' pedals.

dpena23 | March 10, 2017

Yay the Performance Pedals are in-stock!!! Start ordering! Woohoo mmmm :)

spineeric | March 10, 2017

The back of the aluminum accelerator pedal has a rubber lip all the way around that has to wrap around the existing accelerator pedal. It grips onto the existing pedal. You'll find photos of the front and back on line.

I was in my car head first, face down in the footwell resting on my elbows.
1) I hooked the bottom of the aluminum pedal onto the bottom of the existing pedal.
2) Then I used four fingers of each hand, grabbed the rubber behind the pedal and spread the rubber on both sides of the aluminum pedal at the same time.
3) While spreading the rubber, I pulled upwards on the pedal to keep it securely on the existing pedal.
4) Then I pushed the aluminum pedal onto the existing pedal, still pulling upwards, and let go of the rubber when I could feel the rubber wrap around the existing pedal.

I hope those instructions make sense.

At first, I tried hooking the bottom and right side of the aluminum pedal (towards the console) onto the existing pedal, but then I could not get the left side of the pedal secured. Digging and prying the rubber to wrap around the existing pedal was exasperating - and that caused my index finger to feel pinched and sore.

If the 4 steps above make sense, that method took me about 15 seconds to install the aluminum accelerator pedal.

May the Force be with you! : )

lilbean | March 10, 2017

Just reading that made my palms sweat.

SeaDoc | March 11, 2017

Spineeric, right on with the procedure as you described - I did pretty much the same, other than I went wild with my right index finger trying to wrap the last piece of rubber around the top of the accelerator pedal resulting in a terrific blood blister... Looks great (not the finger), and worth the effort... The blister will eventually heal...