Submitted by D.bakhai on March 26, 2017
Just been thinking and reviewing the M3 story thus far with the recent flurry of tweets too. As with most owners I am looking out for any info for M3 as a prospective owner and trying to piece snippets together, I may be completely wrong but is there a possibility of level 3 autonomous driving within M3 hence making it the best car for the price.
1) Reference to the best car for price (appreciate it would be an option i.e enhanced autopilot moves to next stage)
2) Theoretically the hardware will be present as with all models since last year and therefore just an update for model s/x owners and not a new feature that would pull away demand from other models.
3) Musk in past has inferred the technology and vehicles will be here quicker than we think (stated last year)
4) Hardware would be there but option to be unlocked once approval from regulators?
5) This could be one of the reasons for west coast deliveries first as that is where they have the most information/testing to their disposal?
6) It could be the big standout option to differentiate from competitors cars and he sure loves to have a x factor.
7) Would drive the demand further for Tesla and allow it to stay ahead of the pack (mobile eye had indicated level 4 autonomous driving by 2019 and ford target level 5 by 2021).
Like I said I may be completely out of my depth but doesn't seem unrealistic and this could also be the rationale for the higher spec (ones who take on option) to be delayed whilst regulator approvals get granted?
Disclosure: M3 reservation 31/03/16 pre-unvail in store, location: uk, not current Tesla owner.