Forums

Level 3 Automation?

Level 3 Automation?

Hey all,

Just been thinking and reviewing the M3 story thus far with the recent flurry of tweets too. As with most owners I am looking out for any info for M3 as a prospective owner and trying to piece snippets together, I may be completely wrong but is there a possibility of level 3 autonomous driving within M3 hence making it the best car for the price.

Rationale:
1) Reference to the best car for price (appreciate it would be an option i.e enhanced autopilot moves to next stage)
2) Theoretically the hardware will be present as with all models since last year and therefore just an update for model s/x owners and not a new feature that would pull away demand from other models.
3) Musk in past has inferred the technology and vehicles will be here quicker than we think (stated last year)
4) Hardware would be there but option to be unlocked once approval from regulators?
5) This could be one of the reasons for west coast deliveries first as that is where they have the most information/testing to their disposal?
6) It could be the big standout option to differentiate from competitors cars and he sure loves to have a x factor.
7) Would drive the demand further for Tesla and allow it to stay ahead of the pack (mobile eye had indicated level 4 autonomous driving by 2019 and ford target level 5 by 2021).

Like I said I may be completely out of my depth but doesn't seem unrealistic and this could also be the rationale for the higher spec (ones who take on option) to be delayed whilst regulator approvals get granted?

Disclosure: M3 reservation 31/03/16 pre-unvail in store, location: uk, not current Tesla owner.

hoffmannjames | March 26, 2017

Level 3, like the current autopilot, is guaranteed. But better yet, I believe the goal is level 5 autonomy for the model 3, ie full self-driving with no driver. We know the Model 3 has the extra cameras and sensors to support it. The Tesla website says that all tesla cars will be able to have self-driving. And Elon has tweeted that the lack of certain features, like a dashboard, in the Model 3 is because the goal is self-driving.

rennerfra | April 8, 2017

What's about marketing strategies: M3 has AP HW 2 on board, but might not get level 4/5 next years as to differentiate related to model S/X...

tstolz | April 9, 2017

An M3 in 2-5 years will likely be fully self driving due to OTA updates ... pay for it and you will get it. Imagine the value of that M3 on the used market compared to a non-self-driving ICE or other EV!

The M3 will pick you up and drop you off before parking itself. It can go to get its tires changed on its own. It can pick up your elderly mother and take her to an appointment. It will drive you while on vacation while you sleep ... Oh .. and when you want to have some fun and drive hard .. it is .. well ... a TESLA! Other cars are already obsolete .. they just don't know it yet.

Red Sage ca us | April 9, 2017

Actually, Level 3 is likely to be skipped entirely, along with Level 4. There is no requirement to meet those designations and they complicate matters. Better to just go straight to Level 5 and save yourself a bunch of headaches.

Carl Thompson | April 9, 2017

tstolz:
"An M3 in 2-5 years will likely be fully self driving due to OTA updates"

Not unless you're running your own ride sharing company. See my post in this topic

- https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-network-resemble-uber

for why it doesn't make sense for ride sharing companies (including Tesla) to pay you more than $2-$3 an hour to use your car. So don't expect Tesla or anyone else to pay you anywhere near what Uber drivers make if they borrow your car for the Tesla Network.

Carl

Oops, I totally misread what tstolz said so my post doesn't make sense in this context. Sorry about that.

Carl

SamO | April 9, 2017

@tstolz,

+1

This hasn't been digested by the general public. Maybe less than 1% of the people I talk to, even Tesla enthusiasts, realize how close we are to total domination of the ride sharing and autonomous vehicle production.

SamO | April 9, 2017

Rather than regurgitate Navigant, it's better if you think for yourself.

"Who is really #1 in self-driving cars? You wouldn’t know it from this week’s unintentionally entertaining Navigant Research Leaderboard Report on Automated Driving, which placed Ford first, GM second and Renault-Nissan third. Waymo? Seventh. Tesla? Twelfth. The media—most of whom appear not to have paid $3,800 to read the raw report—lapped it up. Wired’s summary ran with the mother-of-all-clickbait heds, “Detroit Is Stomping Silicon Valley In The Self-Driving Car Race.”

The Navigant report is well researched—it’s Navigant, after all—but it has one major flaw: It doesn’t really make sense.

The problem isn’t with Navigant’s research, it’s with the report’s scope and methodology.

The overall thesis—that self-driving technology is nothing without the might of a traditional manufacturer behind it—is as myopic as Silicon Valley’s belief that technology investments alone can “disrupt” the car industry.

This type of disruption mythology makes me sick. Disruption isn’t magic. Disruption isn’t the art of executing an idea competitors can’t or won’t. Disruption is the science of executing an idea better than competitors can or will. Disruption mythology harms both sides of an industry under attack, because it masks the nature of realities everyone must face if they want to survive and prosper.

Navigant’s report is a perfect example of counter-disruption mythology, a document that satisfies a calcified industry who want to believe buying is as good as building, money can solve for time, and being a Foxconn in a new transportation paradigm is for losers.

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/9024/who-is-really-1-in-self-driving-car...

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/9109/navigants-self-driving-report-spells-t...

Bighorn | April 9, 2017

@Carl
Reading comprehension, please. Electrek was reporting the results of a marketing and consulting firm's "research. " Electrek's writing conveyed their incredulity at the result i.e. Tesla was not included in the rankings. Navigant also said that LG is the biggest supplier of EV batteries, so you might consider the source.
https://electrek.co/2015/11/26/lg-is-the-leading-battery-supplier-for-el...

Yes, I should have phrased that "Navigant does not agree."

But the point is don't expect Tesla to have "total domination of the ride sharing and autonomous vehicle production." There are plenty of competitors out there with quality tech.

Carl

Red Sage ca us | April 9, 2017

From a post I made elsewhere on the same subject:

Level 3 and Level 4 will be skipped. They aren't required steps, just defined parameters. It causes a whole bunch of issues and headaches to try to meet those definitions and restrictions. Better to just go straight to Level 5. Someone published an article about it a few months ago... Yeah, even Ford figured this out, so Tesla has probably chosen a similar tack:

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/02/20/ford-skip-level-3-autonomous-cars-e... awareness/

https://www.wired .com/2017/01/human-problem-blocking-path-self-driving-cars/