Forums

Nevada Lt Gov Wants Gigafactory To Be Tourist Attraction - Electrek

Nevada Lt Gov Wants Gigafactory To Be Tourist Attraction - Electrek

dyefrog | April 20, 2017

I somewhat selfishly hope that Tesla continues a similar program that the Freemont factory uses where you must be an owner to get in(or a member of each 4 person group). This will help feed my materialistic, entitled, narcissistic ego certainly but more importantly (barely) would be to lure more of the public into the fold. $35k for the golden ticket is a little steep though.

bmalloy0 | April 20, 2017

I do wish to at some point to be able to tour GF-01, but I also completely understand Tesla wanting to keep it under wraps for as long as possible. It's their biggest leg up in the BEV world

Carl Thompson | April 20, 2017

I'm not sure that most (non-enthusiast) people would care about such things. I'm buying the Model 3 but have not the slightest desire to see the factory other than perhaps to pick it up.

Carl

KP in NPT | April 20, 2017

The factory is actually pretty cool. I have never been to a car factory besides Tesla - am going again when they start making Model 3s. ;)

I'd go to the gigafactory - but there isn't much to do around that area, unlike Fremont with San Francisco so close. So it would have to be part of a cross country trip.

Mike83 | April 20, 2017

A good idea. They could even do bicycle or running races around the building. This is a paradigm shift in technological progress and I am sure tourists from around the world would like to visit. Also Reno is nearby for other entertainments. Nevada is getting smart.
I wonder if flying a drone there is restricted.

dyefrog | April 20, 2017

Mike83:
Interesting concept. How far would it be to circumnavigate the perimeter. To say it's 1 mile to lap the building seems pretty big. If it weren't for the solar panels, they could have a running track on the roof, or even a football stadium.

Elizabets07 | April 20, 2017

@akgolf I'd go, too. Could be part of my first road trip!

Bighorn | April 20, 2017

@dye
If it ends up at 5.5M square feet, a square footprint would be approximately 1.75 miles in perimeter.

swingshiftworker | April 20, 2017

I'd love to take a tour of the Gigafactory and I currently lease a Bolt. LOL!!!

I'd also love to tour the Fremont factory. Are such tours available?

PS: I did go on a pre-production tour of the the Tesla offices when they were iin Menlo Park and when I was a member of Club Sportiva in San Francisco many years ago. It was very interesting.

KP in NPT | April 20, 2017

@swingshiftworker only Tesla owners can tour the Fremont factory. They can bring up to 3 guests if you know someone.

If any Tesla owners here are going to the factory, I'd love to bum an invite. Lunch is on me!

carlgo2 | April 20, 2017

This is a good idea. Big and modern factories with all those red robots going, the noise, the cars/batteries being put together...interesting and good advertising as well. School field trips would be good too, get kids interested in things other than staring at meaningless iToys.

Lunch AND drinks on me (your car had better be autonomous).

Mike83 | April 20, 2017

The GF is so very very enormous why not have rides like Ferris Wheels and Roller Coasters all powered by the Solar panels and batteries. Maybe a race track for roadsters.

Coastal Cruiser. | April 20, 2017

"Nevada Lt Gov Wants Gigafactory To Be Tourist Attraction"

Hell yeah!

Coastal Cruiser. | April 20, 2017

And as a bonus they could build an ICE car Museum nearby.

Maybe that would make the $35 ante more worthwhile.

Red Sage ca us | April 21, 2017

These are good ideas that could certainly be made to work in Nevada. I just worry about security concerns relative to both industrial espionage and domestic terrorism.