Forums

No key fob seems to be a bad idea

No key fob seems to be a bad idea

- I doubt a plastic a decent key fob would cost more than
$50 to produce. Even if price reduction is the goal,price could
Be repassed to consumers.

- manual trunk control only is backwards. Please charge more but deliver a trunk with same experience as the Model S. I thought goal was to compete with BMW and Benz.

- What happens when I go for a run but have no pockets? I like to attach the keys to my shoestrings. Where would I place the car card now?

KP in NPT | July 23, 2017

Why would a small sedan need an auto-lifting and auto-closing trunk? Does BMW 3 or Audi 4 have that? My Lexus doesn't. I expect it will have a button to open and it will unlock automatically when you approach, as the model S/X does.

As for running - plenty of clothing manufacturers put hidden pockets in the waistband for cellphones. Put the card there. Many S/X drivers don't even bring the fob and only use their phone app - though personally I don't do this.

andy.connor.e | July 23, 2017

Whether you think its a game-changing aspect that the trunk is auto-lifting, the reality is that whether its auto or not, its going to be inconsequential. Having it may be easier because you can just hit some buttons and it opens, but ultimately when you leave the grocery store, its not an aspect that is going to piss you off per say. And if it does, i think you've got bigger problems than a auto-lifting trunk.

No pockets? Geez what a hard life man. Try adjusting your lifestyle to suit a new technology, instead of expecting everything to be modified to suit yours. God forbid you get clothing that actually has pockets. It'd be a shame to wear pocketless shorts with a belt, so you can clip it to your belt loops.

Way to just complain for the sake of complaining. Very Very VERY inconsequential details are being addressed here. Life is hell...

Rutrow | July 23, 2017

What if I run Bay to Breakers in the naked category? Where am I supposed to carry my "key' then?!?

carlk | July 23, 2017

KP You know what? You just gave me a good idea. I'll just stick the card to the back of my phone, actually put it inside of the phone cover. I think it will work great that I put the two must carry items together. The second thought is why people who have troubles are always those without a brain?

noleaf4me | July 23, 2017

it will all be good - don't worry too much folks. Tesla is doing things years beyond the competition. My bet is this is the next logical step before your phone can just do it all....

billlake2000 | July 23, 2017

May I say that some of you are funny. And some of you are really funny. @carlk, like to see thinking in action.

andy.connor.e | July 23, 2017

@carlk - "The second thought is why people who have troubles are always those without a brain?"

Because those are the people who cant think about a situation, and figure out how to make it work. They always have so many problems, because they cant think about how to make it work.

georgehawley.fl.us | July 23, 2017

If the card is small enough, minor surgery could be used to put in under one's skin in a discrete location.
It could even come with a defibrillator option to revive one if they get too excited about diving a Tesla.😝

iaeen | July 23, 2017

“Please charge more but deliver a trunk with same experience as the Model S.”

They do. It’s called “go buy a Model S”.

Dr. George you might have to come out of retirement for that! I need my card imbedded - the question is where?

GetLib | July 23, 2017

Can someone update me on the "car card"? I've not heard anything about the key/fob/card...

Nothing is confirmed...but it's believed there will be no fob, instead there will be a card. Because of this:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-svp-spotted-entering-model-3-rumored-key...

burdogg | July 23, 2017

KP - I am sure we can find a place to imbed it for you :) Maybe they will make "enhancement" keys next :) Male and female version.

Wait, did I just say that all out loud - please all disregard my thoughts.

Sandy’s 3 | July 23, 2017

Really? These are major concerns for you?

Sorry! My bad.

PhillyGal | July 24, 2017

I'd like to see the trunk "pop" open when unlocked. At least a little so that it doesn't take much effort to open yourself, like perhaps an elbow when your hands are full. But no, the trunk design, key fob (or lack thereof), roof options or any other feature will deter me from this car. All I require is that it:
Starts around $35k
Does not have or use gas at all
Drives like a Tesla: quiet, quick, smooth

elephant in a bottle | July 24, 2017

@rutrow , in the middle pocket? jk jk :)

Rutrow | July 24, 2017

@ EIB, sounds like that might cause chafing.

If I were a robot I wouldn't be having these problems.

@rutrow yup, warranty violation possibly :)

Reg. the robot thing, I believe Elon is already working on that via neuralink. His proactive defense to AI , in case AI goes bonkers.

@rutrow yup, warranty violation possibly :)

Reg. the robot thing, I believe Elon is already working on that via neuralink. His proactive defense to AI , in case AI goes bonkers.

High Plains Drifter | July 24, 2017

You can't expect an lower end model to have the same appointments as the flagship model which sells at a 3x's higher price point. The Model S is minimal luxury so the Model 3 will have to be even less then minimal. Think all electric Honda Civic only with less options.

rpad.tv | July 24, 2017

I have zero problem with a keycard over a key fob. Keys are archaic. Key fobs are old fashioned. Without knowing what kind of proximity features the Model 3 will have, it's too soon to judge how effective or ineffective a keycard would be.

andy.connor.e | July 24, 2017

I love this sentence:

"Please charge more but deliver a trunk with same experience as the Model S."

I should pester car companies to have the truck bed experience with their sedans.

RedPillSucks | July 24, 2017

Perhaps I'm dense, but I'm having difficulty understanding how seeing a picture of a card with a tesla logo
morphed into "the key fob is being replaced by rfid card"???
Isn't it possible that the card could have been for something completely different, like a tesla badge?

gar1116 | July 24, 2017

Alternative Facts!

PhillyGal | July 24, 2017

@RedPill - You didn't miss anything. People's imaginations running wild.

jordanrichard | July 24, 2017

RedPillSucks, the video of the VP of engineering is at least the second time this card has been seen. Obviously it is something required for the car. Since the car the VP of engineering was driving was a production car, it adds to the validity that it is the "key" for the car. Tesla would not go to the trouble of coming up with a embossed plastic card with the company logo and Model 3 name on it, just for R&D purposes.

Ehninger1212 | July 24, 2017

Ahhhhh..... streamlined goodness. I hope this card key is true!

Xerogas | July 24, 2017

Has nobody proposed this key card thingy might just be a 'master key' that Tesla employees use to make it easier to move cars around the facility? Otherwise they would have to carry a giant keyring with unique fobs for every car they might possibly drive that day.

Might just be a simple solution to a logistical nightmare.

markr7 | July 24, 2017

Bring on the Key Card!
Death to the Key Fob!
Let's move into the 21st century!

Mr.Tesla | July 24, 2017

@jordanrichard

I won't make the call one way or the other, without further information (Friday, hurry up!). However, I must say that I think there are some leaps in your logic that are not "obvious."

MTTPA | July 24, 2017

Key card? Darn, I was hoping for biometrics of some sort. Guess the Model 3 isn't going to be a James Bond car ...

If I were a robot, I wouldn't need a car key.

MarlonBrown | July 24, 2017

How about the pregnant woman with hands full of groceries? A button is needed to open trunk as she walks from Whole Foods to the parking lot. Unless Tesla will make the trunk pop using hand gesture. Hmmm...

KP in NPT | July 24, 2017

but you'd need a free hand to actuate the button on the fob, wouldn't you? ;-)

The trunk unlocks when I approach with my fob on my 10 year old Lexus. (And our S.) I am sure at the least, it will be the same for the 3. Yes, you still have to press the button for both to actually open the trunk. But that has never been an issue for me even with armloads of groceries.

The configurator will probably say, optional accesory : keyfob , price $400 usd.

Ugh..! accessory (I'm not a robot, proves)

sosmerc | July 24, 2017

I hope that "card" doesn't require a battery!! Just wave it in front of the driver side door handle and then stare into the rearview mirror until the door magically unlocks. If you wink at the mirror, all 4 doors will unlock.

erichaux2369 | July 24, 2017

Couldn't the card just be his access card to the building?

gar1116 | July 24, 2017

I'm still pushing for the Tesla Ring Fob. Push the stone for fetch mode....

georgehawley.fl.us | July 24, 2017

I think that with a key card one will be able to butt dial the trunk lid.

rpad.tv | July 24, 2017

@MarlonBrown Tell the pregnant woman to use a cart.

georgehawley.fl.us | July 25, 2017

I finally figured it out. It has to do with Elon's Neuralink connection.
The key card is a step toward a chip embedded in one's brain.
I think. Therefore, I drive a Tesla.

Rocky_H | July 25, 2017

@MarlonBrown, Quote: "How about the pregnant woman with hands full of groceries?"

Huh? Does pregnancy change the number of arms people have?

keithbennettmagic | July 25, 2017

Why does the fact that he had a card in his hand make everybody forget he couldn have had a key fob in his pocket

MarlonBrown | July 25, 2017

Rocky, it is about creating personas. You had no empathy for runners wearing shorts with no pockets. I tried the middle class pregnant woman to see if you wanted to make a functional way for her to open the trunk. Who knows she could wave her fingers/hand and trunk could pop...

Rocky_H | July 25, 2017

@Marlon, Quote: "You had no empathy for runners wearing shorts with no pockets."

That's quite an insinuation. You should quit while you're only slightly behind.

Quote: "I tried the middle class pregnant woman to see if you wanted to make a functional way for her to open the trunk."

There are MANY functional ways for "her" or anyone to open the trunk of a car. One of those ways could be to put down one of the bags of groceries for a few seconds. The other far more likely way is that a pregnant woman who is so overwhelmed at the idea of carrying bags of groceries would pretty likely be pushing them out to the car in a grocery cart.

The bigger point of this is the irritation many people have at these demands people have that some edge corner case some smaller percentage of people have equals that a manufacturer of a device needs to solve their problem instead of the individual putting forth just the slightest effort to come up with a solution.

If the runner wants to have a key with them, they should solve that with some way to carry the key. If the pregnant woman wants to be able to open the trunk, I am quite sure she will figure out without too much trouble how to do so. She had intelligence enough to drive to a store and purchase groceries, right? You're not giving her enough credit in being able to figure out opening a trunk.

MarylandS85 | July 26, 2017

+1 Rocky
I like innovation that brings conveniences none of us actually deserve. I don’t like people assuming a car maker designing a specific car that they’ll probably buy anyway (because it has the best IMPORTANT tech in the world) should have XYZ nitpicky features to satisfy their whims.

We are getting a car that is all electric, costs as little as $35k before taxes, fees, and tax breaks, can go over 215 miles, and can accelerate from 0-60 mph in under 6 seconds (probably 5.6 seconds). The car’s exterior is designed to look sporty, not bubbly and functional-futuristic. Beyond that, nobody promised us squat.

Pages