Forums

is artificial engine noise/sound coming(I hope not)?

is artificial engine noise/sound coming(I hope not)?

Someone told me it is possible to add a speaker & engine sound emulator to Tesla cars. Is it True?

I have been giving feedback to mayor in my town:
Please make car exhauster laws more strict. It is very annoying in my opinion to listen people revving loud engine cars and motorbikes. It looks silly and childish in my opinion.

I cant wait for a future in which cars are quiet EVs.

Atoms | July 24, 2017

Please add selectable engine noise Elon. Ice cream truck could be an Easter egg!

Ross1 | July 25, 2017

Noise does not accelerate the advent of electric vehicles

andy.connor.e | July 25, 2017

This is so stupid though, as the loudest noise you hear outside of the car are the wheels on the ground. You barely can even hear the engine..

neil.weinstock | July 25, 2017

Do Teslas emit any sort of sound at low speeds to warn pedestrians? My Prius emits a very nicely designed, subtle spaceshippy sound. I didn't even realize it was there until someone else pointed it out to me.

mntlvr23 | July 25, 2017

A subtle sound (only at speeds of 15 mph and less) that is audible outside of the car and barely perceptible inside of the car would be fine with me.

.... sorry to the purists

MKM3 | July 25, 2017

In dense medial city centers here, cars, cyclists and pedestrians often share the same lane.
Having an option to switch on an artificial sound at low speeds would really be nice.
It'd certainly be a LOT quieter than having to honk at every cyclist / pedestrian to get them to move out of the way.

gavinmcc | July 25, 2017

As an electric motorcycle driver for 6 years, I have had this conversation toooooo many times ("loud pipes saves lives" bullcrap....do you think the person in their car with the windows up, the radio on, and is texting will hear or care about your loud pipe? Nope. Over half the motorcycle accidents here are Harley's and they are plenty loud. Paying attention, safe driving and thinking all car drivers are actively trying to kill you saves lives...but back on topic).

I have always advocated for making the world quieter instead of louder. Don't add more noise the the jangle of city sounds, instead make as many external noises as quiet as possible. It is easy to dismiss sounds when there are so many of them, but a quiet city will be better and also more likely to keep people observant. Plus half the people wear headphones today...so how do we combat that?

In some ways this is a problem that Tesla and others will "cure" in the next ten years. If all cars in the city are autonomous, pedestrians will be "seen" even if the driver is not paying attention. Pedestrian and motorcycle accidents should go way down.

We just need to get to that 10 years in the future date...

G

I do agree for an audible sound when needed...see kids on the corner, meep, meep....drive in mall parking lot...meep, meep....but all the time? nope. I drive a stick shift...I often coast around town...when coasting I am as quiet as any electric...but manual cars don't need a sound generator, so electrics shouldn't either.

jordanrichard | July 25, 2017

Starting in either 2018 or 19, EVs or Hybrids while in EV mode at low speeds will be req'd to emit a noise to warn pedestrians.

As for adding a noise, no you can add an automated noise to your Tesla. One could honk their horn, turn the volume up on the radio, etc.

BTW, the notion that it is only because EVs are silent that reason people get hit in parking lots, is a joke. What then is the reason for people presently getting hit by ICE cars......? Solve that problem first then see if there is still a need for an artificial noise on EVs.

MKM3 | July 25, 2017

It seems to be a cultural thing. Honking here is considered *really* offensive, so it's only used in emergencies.

Also you won't see total, fully autonomous traffic in inner cities in Europe for another 25-30 years. It's simply not allowed here.

So what's the deal with just implementing a sound generator you can turn on and off as needed?! It's pretty much a choice, just like excessively using the horn.
I was talking about driving at extremely low speeds in roads, simultaneously shared by everything and everyone that could possibly jump out on the road at you.

jordanrichard | July 25, 2017

While on paper a noise generator sounds great (no pun intended), that doesn't solve the problem. If every EV and Hydrid had noise generators sounding off in the local mall parking lot, the pedestrian won't here you. It just because white noise.

When car alarms first got introduced and one went off in a parking lot, it got peoples attention, which was the point. However, now no one pays attention because it is too common.

Should we put audible alarms on public fountains to warn people they are approaching the fountain, whilst looking at their cell phones.

Perhaps instead of lowering ourselves to the lowest common denominator, how about people being held accountable for not paying attention when walking in around cars.

MKM3 | July 25, 2017

That's exactly the point. I guess you're from the US where people walk around cars, here it's the other way around.

Garyeop | July 25, 2017

How about sight instead of sound. Lasers that print a target on those in your drive path? A flashing pink light to grab attention? Words printed on any phone shaped object saying look up.

Also, if the breaking system can locate objects...could it help project a focused sound at that object? Imagine hearing a whisper in your ear of "Hey sexy, look at me!" Or other attention getting words.

This could become fun.

Ehninger1212 | July 25, 2017

While I haven't found it hard to realize a car is coming, Tesla or not. (Deaf people do it all the time). It's called paying attention.. I do think that the sound could be fun. People could start customizing what they want. Jetsons, tie fighter, x wing, millennium falcon. Could be fun. Of course I'm young and annoying soo... yeah.

LostInTx | July 25, 2017

I want a quieter world, one where Darwin looks down and eliminates inattentive people for cause, in this case for not realizing that cars travel on roads and electric trains travel on tracks. Parking lots are repositories for cars but every vehicle arrived on site via some form of motion. Presume they'll leave applying similar physics.

Put me down for "no noise makes for a better world".

Garyeop | July 25, 2017

Could we make the Tie Fighter sound AS we run over the pedestrians?

Ehninger1212 | July 25, 2017

@garyeop

Lol, or we could make it sound the imperial alert siren mixed with the tie fighter sound as the car accelerates towards cross walks! Hahah!! I'll bet everyone will hear that!

Atlanta09 | July 25, 2017

I'd be okay with it if it came with the option to turn it off and on. In urban driving environments or when driving through areas with inebriated pedestrians or kids it would be nice to be able to turn on.

Mike83 | July 25, 2017

The horn works fine and so does the radar. This quiet car thing is just a scam.

bj | July 25, 2017

BEVs need a second "horn" noise for this purpose (alerting pedestrians). Something much less aggressive than the traffic horn, i.e. quieter and "friendlier", that is emitted only when you push the relevant button (i.e not emitted continuously at low speed).

I'm thinking of a cowbell noise :) and even better, upload your own MP3 to the car as your pedestrian warning noise.

Ross1 | July 25, 2017

I'm thinking a horse noise.

@ LostInTx | July 25, 2017
I want a quieter world, one where Darwin looks down

Dont think Darwin was in to that :)

andy.connor.e | July 26, 2017

Maybe those on the road who are not in a car, should be a bit more aware of their surroundings. Pedestrians shouldnt be walking in the road, and maybe bicyclists should be required to have side mirrors on their handlebars. A problem like this is not singular. Everyone has to do their part.

Mike83 | July 26, 2017

Bicyclist HATE noise. I've ridden 10s of thousands of miles and when someone beeps it can be dangerous and cause an accident. If your not a good bicyclist you may become roadkill. You don't need a mirror to know of cars and obstacles in your path particularly potholes or broken glass that can damage a rim/tire. It is called defensive riding. Stop with noise BS.

andy.connor.e | July 26, 2017

Maybe the problem is not that EVs are not loud enough, so much is that pedestrians are not taking the necessary personal responsibility with new technology. Maybe they are blaming the car loudness just as people blame Tesla Autopilot when they crash their car.

???????

Ross1 | July 26, 2017

When I was a little kid at primary school, I was riding my bike to the bus stop, a car blew the horn to let me know of its presence (well as it wasnt autonomous it must have been the driver), and I got such a fright I fell off right in front of the car :). Yep, nearly roadkill. And you would never have got to enjoy my numerous posts :) :)

Atlanta09 | July 26, 2017

Pedestrians are often the ones to blame, but you're still in for a bad time if you hit one. No one follows the speed limit and every rule of the road 100% while driving, so fault is often not so black and white. When you get sued by a texting pedestrian you hit even though they were "at fault", you'll wish your car had made more noise if it could have prevented the accident.

More or less just playing devils advocate.

Ehninger1212 | July 26, 2017

That's why if you hit them you make sure they can't sue!

jkjk!!!

Really though, I have been able to notice EV's in parking lots and such just fine.

mntlvr23 | July 26, 2017

I don't think that cars need airbags - I think that everyone should just be more careful

bj | July 26, 2017

There's been quite a few times in my Leaf when I have been crawling behind a few unaware pedestrians and felt powerless to let them know I was there, short of honking the horn, which as others have pointed out, is too loud, very aggressive and unfriendly, and complete overkill for that situation. Even winding the window down and saying "Hi" might not work.

A driver-initiated warning sound which is much quieter than the horn and more freindly like a cowbell would be perfect for those situations.

jordanrichard | July 27, 2017

The original Mercedes-Benz 600 had both a "country horn" and "city horn". So the concept is not new to have 2 horn types in a car. Perhaps Tesla could put a "pedestrian horn" button on the center screen which could still use the existing horns, but at a lower volume.

All of this doesn't matter anyways, come 2018/2019 the cars will have to be equipped with a constant noise of some sort, when traveling at parking lot speeds.

DTsea | July 27, 2017

Maybe car should just turn on AC compressor below 18mph