Forums

California EV rebate for M3

California EV rebate for M3

It is official. Model 3 is listed as being eligible for $2500 rebate in California. So potentially one could get $7500 Fed tax credits and $2500 State rebates. Sweet deal.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligible-vehicles

Open! Open! Open!

socaldave | July 26, 2017

Must reside in CA and hold onto the vehicle for 30 consecutive months. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy! =)

M3forMe | July 26, 2017

As a bonus -

Consumers with household incomes less than or equal to 300 percent of the federal poverty level are eligible for an increased rebate amount as listed below. The option to apply for an increased rebate is shown on the online application based on the income information the applicant provides. Applicants who are claimed as dependents are not eligible for increased rebates regardless of their income. Increased rebate amounts are available for fuel-cell electric vehicles, battery electric vehicles, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.

M3forMe | July 26, 2017

November 1 2016 – Present Standard rebate amount** increased by $2,000

LA-Fohlen | July 26, 2017

Why did I decide to leave California. I don't to offend Texas and Texans but this is one of the state you can't even buy the car.

Sometimes I think I'd rather pay the Cali sales tax than doing that here where the state just block the way to the future.

hsadler | July 26, 2017

Also, check with your elec utility. In Calif many are giving out checks (Example - PG&E $500)

M3forMe | July 26, 2017

yes also check with the elec utility. SMUD (Sacramento area) offers - A $599 incentive to charge free for two years (more than covers the average cost to charge your plug-in electric vehicle for two years) or a 220 volt high-powered electric vehicle charger when you purchase or lease a new plug-in electric vehicle.

SamO | July 26, 2017

And they may turn this into an instant rebate as early as 1/1/2018

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/28/california-ev-buyers-instant-rebates/

robert.s.bjekich | July 26, 2017

Residents of Fresno and San Joaquin counties are also eligible for an additional $2,500 rebate. It appears these two air quality districts are the worst in the country.

SamO | July 26, 2017

Just under 2 million California residents in those two counties about 5% of California population. Or, more people than these 14 states/districts:

Idaho 39 1,612,136
Hawaii 40 1,404,054
State Population Ranking Population
Maine 41 1,328,302
New Hampshire 42 1,323,459
Rhode Island 43 1,051,511
Montana 44 1,015,165
Delaware 45 925,749
South Dakota 46 844,877
Alaska 47 735,132
North Dakota 48 723,393
District of Columbia 49 646,449
Vermont 50 626,630
Wyoming 51 582,658

Great catch robrert

Nexxus | July 27, 2017

@LA-Fohlen,

"Why did I decide to leave California. I don't to offend Texas and Texans but this is one of the state you can't even buy the car."

Of course you can buy a Tesla there in Texas. Order it online and they will deliver it to where ever you designate: home, office, nearest service center? You just can't have any service centers/showrooms in Texas. The state of Texas can't prohibit you from buying a Tesla and registering it.

noleaf4me | July 27, 2017

Or you can come to GA where they tax you $208/year (increasing at 4% per year) for an EV! What a GREAT STATE for promoting a cleaner living!

ReD eXiLe ms us | July 27, 2017

Nexxus: I think Texas has done away with their EV Rebate program as of 2015... But Tesla vehicles were not eligible there, because it specifically called out that only vehicles sold through licensed 'independent franchised dealerships' would qualify. But yeah, Tesla isn't allowed to SELL in Texas, though Customers there are allowed to BUY from them. It is a very slight difference, but with no bonus incentives for EVs at all.

LA-Fohlen | July 27, 2017

@Nexxus well, I know, that's what I did but I still think it is dumb to have these rules and in my opinion a state should not benefit from sales tax if it prohibits Tesla from selling their car within the state. I'd rather pay it somewhere else.
Then, the incentive programs in some other states (in particular California) are a lot better unless you live in GA of course, I'm sorry noleaf4me but I'm not planning to move ;)

I think that California's move is doing a smart move with the rebate, I hope that Tesla will keep the pace with upgrading their SC network.

Wimpy ti | July 27, 2017

So Texas does have service centers and showrooms. I believe you cannot purchase the cars directly from them though, you must order online.

KMTG | July 27, 2017

I just wish they didn't implement the salary restriction, it didn't exist when I got my Model X. I guess I will have to ask my boss to pay me less this year...lol

warren_tran | July 27, 2017

Lame, there aren't any Oregon state tax credit for EV anymore.

insanityabounds | July 27, 2017

Southern California Edison also offers a $450 rebate. https://www.scecleanfuel.com