Forums

Window Tinting

Window Tinting

Expecting a new S75 soon. Does anyone know what level/darkness is allowed in CA? Any recommendations for tint shops in the SF Bay Area? Any particular tinting products, methods or materials to use?

Lastly, is there a search feature hidden in these forums? I looked everywhere.

Thanks.

thalore | August 6, 2017

70% VLT in the front. I personally went 50 rear and 70 front.
http://www.californiacarlaws.com/window-tint/

conman | August 6, 2017

There is no search feature. These are without doubt the crappiest forums I have ever frequented.

redacted | August 6, 2017

Spectra photosync is well-regarded. A bit expensive but so worth it if you get sunny days in California.

NKYTA | August 6, 2017

Search tips and many other links found in this OP

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/how-use-your-tesla-and-forum

Most tint shops will know what is legal in CA. I'd give you our Peninsula one, but that is a bridge too far, from Tiburon. ;-)

PatientFool | August 6, 2017

Windshield | Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows | Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows | Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window | Any darkness can be used.

In the past i've done 20% in the back, 35% in the front and haven't been bothered but i'm sure it depends on what the law is like where you live. at 20% people won't be able to see you. 35% they can but not well. at 50%+ you won't have any real privacy so it depends on what kind of look/privacy you're after.

JayBee75D | August 8, 2017

I use Mr. Tint in Santa Clara. They are by far the best in the Bay Area in my opinion and have a lifetime guarantee. They have have done several of my cars and even my house. I highly recommend. I can refer you if you like.

Victorg-90D | August 8, 2017

The simplest way research tint is to look at factory tinted rear windows on Model X, which is 70%. I suggest you do the same level on both front and back windows so they match. 70% is not legal for front windows, but nobody would stop you for that or give ticket.

buickguy | August 8, 2017

I did 70% on my fronts; 40% on the rears and hatch; nothing on the windshield or sunroof. Worked very well, very effective. Note that the tint industry uses the percent term as how much light is allowed in. Therefore, a 70% tint is less tint than a 40% tint.

f3rretus | August 8, 2017

I used precutautotint.com. Two years later, no signs of fading. It only cost $35 for the pre-cut film and $55 for local tint shop to put it on. I can't bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars for tinted film.

SoFlaS | August 10, 2017

If you can find a shop that installs "Huper Optik" film do it. It's from Germany and uses nano ceramic particles for the tint. That means that you will not block any telecommunications between the fob and the car in addition to the fact that it has great UV and heat rejection properties. Additionally it's super clear and will never change color as some of the other tints do. I have used it for years in my German cars and while it is somewhat expensive (we get what we pay for; yes?) it is worth it.