Forums

Some small questions

Some small questions

Just curious:
1) Maryland has front license plates. The front bumper is curved. Any idea how it gets mounted?
2) Does the GPS system make the use of Waze needless?
3) Is there a place to put your cell phone? Does it interact with the cell phone in the car?
Can it answer the phone?
Can it read/send text messages from voice commands?
Small questions which will be answered when I get mine next year, just curious.

bbjj33 | August 14, 2017

1: tesla will probably provide a bracket and probably preinstall it for those states.
2: no waze
3: yes, premium comes with phone docking which you can choose from iPhone and android and USBc. Interaction-no apple CarPlay to prevent hacking.

Xerogas | August 14, 2017

3: there isn't really a cell phone in the car, per se. Yes, the car has an LTE data connection, but not for voice calls.

On Model S, you link your phone's Bluetooth to the car, and then use your phone's voice commands as usual. You're just using the car's audio system to interact with your personal phone. There are nice little steering wheel thumb wheel controls for answering and hanging up the phone.

carlk | August 14, 2017

In car voice control can let you to do navigation, play steaming music and make phone calls via bluetooth without using the phone's voice control. You can also use the screen or steering wheel thumbwheel/button to make or answer phone calls,

JayInJapan | August 14, 2017

I can't be sure, but I think steaming music is how mascara gets on the headliner.

Frank99 | August 14, 2017

;)

flwrman | August 15, 2017

A different question please: Will there be any tracking mechanism to let someone know about emergencies? Like On-star tracks the car and will ask if there is an emergency? I am thinking about a widower senior taking road trips or cross country trip and having a medical emergency.

JuJo0 | August 15, 2017

@flwrman

I believe the AP hardware is tracking you. I'm not sure there is an automatic emergency contact though, but they will definitely see where you are.

jordanrichard | August 15, 2017

JuLo0, the tracking is not necessarily via AP, it is done via the cell signal the cars have. Your can be off and using your Tesla app, will be able to see it's literal location, down to what parking spot it is in.

RedPillSucks | August 15, 2017

I think the tracking question is more about what happens if you're in an accident, or you've pulled off the road and are having a heart attack. With OnStar you just push a button on the dash or rear view mirror, instead of fumbling for your phone (if you can find it) and trying to dial the emergency number.

flwrman | August 15, 2017

@ RedPillSucks: You are right on in what you wrote ! That is the question that I have, and want to know, is rhe M3 capable of providing the same type of system or can OnStar be added as an option.

Carl Thompson | August 15, 2017

@flwrman

I think OnStar is GM vehicles only but other manufacturers have similar services. Hopefully a Tesla owner will chime in and let us know if they have anything similar (simple single button push to connect you immediately to an operator that can help you in an emergency.)

I will say OnStar and services like it are really nice even for non-emergencies. "Hello, OnStar? Can you you make a reservation for me at a quality French restaurant in San Francisco and send the directions to my car's onboard navigation system? Thanks!"

Carl

wwu123 | August 15, 2017

BMW Assist is another one, that also has cellular voice for emergency and concierge services, in addition to cellular data and GPS features. The Model S/X don't have any cellular voice presently, at least not that's been exposed, though they're well-advanced in the data and GPS features (and thus far haven't charged subscriptions yet for those services).

carlk | August 15, 2017

No Tesla does not have that. BTW if you can call a French restaurant in SF for a table and drive there right away it likely is not a quality restaurant unless you know the owner. ;)

carlk | August 15, 2017

@wwu123 What do you mean by cellular voice? Does that mean voice activated dialing? Tesla does have that.

carlk | August 15, 2017

@wwu123 What do you mean by cellular voice? Does that mean voice activated dialing? Tesla does have that.

wwu123 | August 15, 2017

No, I think folks are asking if there's a button to press to immediately be connected to a human Tesla representative by voice through the car's LTE connection (not your mobile phone's), who you would then speak with, and that Tesla human would call 911 or look up directions for you.

ron369 | August 15, 2017

I believe that the OP is asking if Waze is not necessary when using the onboard navigation? I am not yet a Tesla owner, so this may not be correct, but I believe that the onboard navigation uses Garmin data for its mapping (and I read that they are integrating some open source mapping data and will probably use their own mapping data that the Tesla fleets out there are discovering for Tesla).

The mapping data does have traffic data as well, but I'm not sure where that is sourced from.

My guess is that the onboard navigation is probably not as good as Waze if you really want to avoid traffic and find the fastest route. You can always use Waze on your phone if you are really in a rush.

carlk | August 15, 2017

@ron369 Tesla Nav is not as good as waze but it's still very usable. It uses Google map and does show traffic data and uses it to plot route and to give you ETA estimation. The only problem I had is it does not allow you to input route preferences. The nav screen is the best in the industry though.

@wwu123 No Tesla does not have that but I'm not sure how much more useful a real person to help instead of you to call 911 or other services yourself is. I would think it's probably better for you to call than having to go through a third party, no?

carlk | August 15, 2017

Forgot to mention the nav screen and traffic data are from Google. The turn by turn instruction is from Garmin. Tesla integrated the two to make its own system.

Carl Thompson | August 15, 2017

@carlk
"@wwu123 No Tesla does not have that but I'm not sure how much more useful a real person to help instead of you to call 911 or other services yourself is. I would think it's probably better for you to call than having to go through a third party, no?"

There are two advantages to OnStar and similar systems. First there is large easily reachable button that's quick and easy to push in an emergency. There's no finding your phone, unlocking it, dialing, dealing with bluetooth, etc. Second if the car detects a crash or other emergency situation you don't even need to push the button. You will automatically be connected and the operator will ask if you're all right. If you don't answer then they automatically dispatch emergency services even if you're unconscious or incapacitated.

Carl

Vikman | August 15, 2017

Waze integration would be awesome. IMO hands down the best navigation tool available. Saved me from being stuck in traffic so many times.

JAD | August 15, 2017

Tesla is notified if the car is in an accident and can call for help, but no, there is not a service they charge you for like OnStar, nor an emergency button you can push. You could push the voice button and say call 911 or other contact in your phone.

The rumor that a lot of apps will be available soon has been around for awhile. The waze app may soon be available, but there are also tesla specific waze website with most of the functionality, just not intergrated with guidance.

cafutter | August 28, 2017

I just found this information on the Tesla Motor Club Site and it was referred to in a conversation with a Tesla "sales person" at the Tesla Store in Bethesda, MD
If your car manufacturer does not provide a means to attach the plate, you only need to have the plate in your frunk!!! The new law took effect on 10/1/2013.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/hb/hb0577f.pdf

Rutrow | August 28, 2017

When I took a test drive in Charlotte NC the salesperson said I wouldn't need Waze because the Navigation used Google Maps traffic for routing. I didn't ask but guess that there's no way to notify of hazards and such.