Forums

How long does it take to get Tesla powerwall after placing order?

How long does it take to get Tesla powerwall after placing order?

Hi,

I am considering install a Tesla powerwall as I see there is SGIP rebate. Do anyone know how long it will take for Tesla to deliver powerwall after I place the order?

Also, is it easy to claim the SGIP rebate?

Thanks!

Bluesday Afternoon | August 27, 2017

I'm a week into the process. Two days after initially signing the agreement the Survey team came out to take measurements, check the roof, secure a safety line, inspect attic and electric panel. They are now designing the solar array (24 panels) and two PowerWall 2's based on the survey report. I'm not sure how long this stage will take but the entire project could take 90-120 days. My SolarCity rep said she'll walk me through the SGIP application process. We'll see how that goes.

With the California SGIP plan available it was an easy decision to add the PW's. I understand there is risk involved with the SGIP rebate and how much I'll qualify for from the state/SCE. Even without the rebate I would have added one PowerWall 2.

nwfan | September 11, 2017

I'm in TX and currently waiting HOA review / approval.
Once it's received my install thru Tesla Energy/Solar City
on 10.8 kw solar panel array and two PW2's would start
quickly. Local survey team said all materials were on
hand including the PW2's.

eric.zucker | September 11, 2017

Depending on your location this may take time, and not necessarily a production issue.

I am installing 24 panels this week, and my order for the powerwalls is in Tesla's hands.

One issue is that current power walls do not have three phase charger/inverters, and my country normally does not allow 5kW inverters to be connected to a single phase.

I might be able to get a waiver to install one powerwall per phase. Or wait for Tesla to offer a Powerwall with three phase support.

mark.willing | September 18, 2017

I've had 2 on order since November of 2016. I'm in Michigan. No installers. I may have to try to contract out of state,...I don't know what to do at this point.

tchaimd | September 18, 2017

Nwfan,

I am working with Treehouse/Lighthouse in Austin, and they recently installed the 10 kW solar panels on my roof in Missouri City, but no word on the PW2. And still waiting for final inspection.
Which company are you working with? They actually have the PW2 on hand? Seems like they are communicating well with you. I feel a little left in the dark here, with Treehouse - not going as smoothly as I had anticipated!

nwfan | September 18, 2017

@tchaimd,
Solar City/Tesla Energy and field office/warehouse is located
in Ft Worth. The Solar City vehicles are getting new wrap
to reflect current owner Tesla Energy in the next 2 months.

Solar City cost more than 2 other bidders for my 10kw system.
But wanted the PW2's and they were the only group
who could provide the units. Also figured in 5 years they
would still be around to answer any trouble calls.

The other bidders for my 10kw system offered Sonnen batteries with
top capacity of 16kw at twice the price and size of a refrigerator.
Sonnen makes a proven battery with over 10k installed in Europe.
The composition of the battery is different from the PW2's and
my system design requires 2 PW and probably expansion to 3 at
a later date.

Kept my energy requirements with Tesla. Hopefully with combo of
PW2's and TX sun my charging needs will be filled and on can stay
off the grid.

Tesla-David | September 19, 2017

I am in similar boat to @mark.willing, I live in Edmonds, WA, and have been waiting for more than one year, approaching two years when considering I had previously signed up for the earlier Powerwall design. It is completely frustrating, getting any kind of feedback from Tesla-Energy. They seem to just ignore my frequent emails. I am envious of those of you in States getting installations. Their customer service really sucks IMPO.

mikereuter | September 19, 2017

I strongly advise not to order the Powerwall 2 right now. The SGIP rebate is not approved for any Powerwall as of today and in addition the setup and install is a nightmare. I ordered two Powerwall 2s and 4 1/2 months ago Solarcity started the install. The entire process has turned into a nightmare and after 4 1/2 months the system is up but failed the city inspection and Solarcity has to reinstall the Powerwalls to get it approved. Since the inspector failed, I have not been able to have any update me with status. The install team continues to ignore my request for a status update. The Powerwalls are working but I cannot recommend as the install is not complete. I'm a very frustrated customer.

Tesla-David | September 21, 2017

@mikereuter, very sorry to hear about your negative experience on your Powerwall-2 installation. Not sure why the installations are so uneven, as many are reporting positive experiences, especially this utube from Australia. Something strange is going on at Tesla-Energy, and I hope they are able to iron it out soon.
https://electrek.co/2017/08/25/tesla-powerwall-2-owner-experience/#ampsh...

Bluesday Afternoon | September 21, 2017

@mikereuter

Please provide your location. Thank you

mikereuter | September 21, 2017

@Tesla-David, Today the install team came and finished my installation. They also setup the inspection for Monday so fingers crossed that this time everything will work. The local inspector is absolute hardcore and I feel sorry for Tesla and SolarCity to deal with him. The overall experience is great and I am a happy customer again. I hope the SGIP program will be passed for the Powerwall 2.

Tesla-David | September 23, 2017

@mikeruter, very happy to hear that! ;0)

Courtneys | July 13, 2018

I signed a contract for solar and 2 Powerwalls in Feb 2018 and was told at that time the Powerwalls would not be available until April or May. In April, I was told it would be July or August for Powerwalls. Now, in July, they told me they are no longer giving dates for Powerwalls and would get back to me in 6 months (almost a year since signing a contract) when they have a better idea about availability. Of course there’s still Tesla sales guys in the Home Depot’s, standing next to fake Powerwalls trying to sell they to everyone who walks by.

Tesla-David | July 13, 2018

We finally got our two PW2's installed and turned on 6/22/2018, after an almost 3 year wait, and have been operating in self-powered mode for past twenty days, and have been absolutely amazed at how well they have performed with our 13.2 kWh solar system. We have not used any, nada grid electricity since turning on the powerwalls, and are sending ~63 percent of the electricity we generate off our solar panels back to the grid. We have been operating as a microgrid, drawing no electricity from grid, and exporting electricity back to grid for others to use. This is an absolutely amazing product IMHO, and think it was worth the wait. Two Tesla-Energy representatives (Nicholas & Evan) were out to evaluate our PW2 installation two days ago, and told me that PW2 production was being impacted by the recent successful M3 production effort, to get to 5,000 M3's/week. They are acutely aware of the backlog of customers waiting for installations, and hope to get PW2 production ramped up soon.

Brad | September 23, 2018

I have had our 2 powerwalls on order since April of 2016. Still no firm installation date as our contractor keeps telling me that they have not had a delivery since January of 2018. I am disappointed with such a long wait. My family also has 4 Model 3's. Service issues are not going real well. 2 of the 4 have been at the Tesla Service Center for a few days. A another one needs to go in as the horn is malfunctioning.

Madatgascar | September 23, 2018

I think it’s vaporware. I’ve had money down for over 2 years, no sign of it. You hear about sightings in remote locations- sort of like Bigfoot. Will believe it when I see it.

Tesla-David | September 23, 2018

@Brad and @Madatgascar, my wait was almost 3 years as I started with the PW1, and finally got action after elevating my concerns up to Tesla-Energy management. Once I talked to regional manager (Nicholas) things happened very fast for me, and we got our two PW2 installation in June 2018. I certainly share your concerns as that was my experience as well. We are now over 3 months post-installation, and IMHO the wait was well worth it and we are absolutely loving the PW2's which are a perfect complement to our solar system. Good luck to both of you, and hope you get your PW2 installations soon.

Brentt | September 26, 2018

I received the email below July of 2017. It’s been over a year and I haven’t heard a word, and they no longer respond to emails. I want to use Tesla, but I have another company bidding the job and may have to use them.

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response but right now we are still trying to find and train certified installers in your area. It looks like installation of your Powerwall 2 should be occurring within the next few months. Again we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you but please notify us if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you for your time,

RJ Hamel | Inside Energy Advisor | Sales
6569 S. Las Vegas Blvd. STE 200| Las Vegas, NV 89119
b (725) 333-7749 | e rhamel@tesla.com

greg | September 26, 2018

Basically the machines that make the batteries for the Powerwalls at GF1 are being used instead to make batteries for the Model 3.

Seems Panasonic battery making is still a major bottleneck at the Gigafactory and has been for a while. Once the 3 new battery lines from Panasonic come online later this year as has been announced, they might be able to start making PowerWall battery packs again to start supplying PW2s.

Although its just as likely they will then announce a PW3 instead - meaning those who waited get a better deal with a PW3 than if they got their PW1 or PW2 installs as originally planned.

Patrick | January 19, 2019

Any updates on current PW2 delivery times?

SVETAHARDY | February 26, 2019

I'm about to give up on the PW also. At least in SW FL no one seems to be able to get them (I've been on the list forever). Now since Enphase micro inverters has developed the IQ 8, it seems to be cheaper for me to go that route. The IQ 8s will isolate your system when the grid goes down - without batteries. True when the sun goes down you will loose electricity without the batteries; however, whenever your panels are developing power you can use it. I still want the PW 2 but at least this way, I can keep running when the grid goes down until Tesla gets the bats and installers here.