Forums

Has anyone gotten asked by Email yet to configure their Model 3?

Has anyone gotten asked by Email yet to configure their Model 3?

Just curious if anyone has gotten an email from Tesla yet for configuration. My estimated delivery is October to December 2017, but no email yet. Thanks.

Xerogas | September 16, 2017

Nobody outside of Tesla/SpaceX employees has gotten an invitation to configure yet. These forums will explode once they do!

SGB | September 16, 2017

I can only imagine. Just curious as to how much lead time Tesla needs from configuration to production completion. Perhaps with the limited options on the first production, not very much.

deemo | September 16, 2017

I was in a Tesla store today, one of the employees apparently got the invite a couple of weeks ago and is expecting delivery next week. Sounds like about 4 weeks, Remember you are really only configuring paint color, wheels and software at this point. All of them are extended range premium models with black interiors right now.

SGB | September 16, 2017

Bummed about the black interior. I would have loved beige.

cquail | September 17, 2017

Met a Tesla employee last week who is expecting his Red Model 3 delivery by the end of September.

brando | September 17, 2017

Don't buy what you don't want, just wait.

SUN 2 DRV | September 18, 2017

They aren't custom building a car to your specifications.... they are matching you up with delivery of an already scheduled car that matches your few option choices. So all they really need are delivery and payment addresses...

In this example of whether the chicken or egg comes first..... the car comes first and then gets matched up with an owner that wants that config.... this is not unlike a traditional dealer inventory model... except that the Model 3s will be delivered directly to customers without sitting for weeks on a dealer lot.

KP in NPT | September 18, 2017

+1 SUN - I don't know if it is going to go exactly like that, but from what I have heard from an employee, this is not being handled in the same way as S/X ordering/production/delivery - cannot be sure if that's because they'll do one thing with them and something different with external customers. So we cannot assume anything about how far in advance of delivery we will be asked to configure, or compare it to previous Tesla ordering experiences. Until a non-employee configures and reports back we won't know for sure.

Coastal Cruiser. | September 18, 2017

"Has anyone gotten asked by Email yet to configure their Model 3?"

Not me, but I think we should start a rumor stating some non-employees have gotten time off their waiting sentence for good behavior in the forums.

Frank99 | September 18, 2017

Now that's funny! Thanks for a good laugh.

gjurkov44 | September 18, 2017

I'm debating about cancelling....I'm around 115,000.....I want sooner than later, but not sure I want to spend $49k on a 4th car.....

Carl Thompson | September 18, 2017

@gjurkov44

Sell the other 3 and you're good!

Carl

TheChad | September 18, 2017

All forum members are keeping their invitations quiet so that they can win mntlvr23's hat contest.

noleaf4me | September 18, 2017

@TheChad - LOL

mntlvr23 | September 18, 2017

tru dat

SpeedyEddy | September 19, 2017

@gjurkov Be safe and don't cancel on impulse. If you regret, you have to get back in line. You can be front in line if you keep your reservation and keep overthinking what to do, until you are absolutely sure. As long as you don't configure, you can can cancel any time. (so see the 1000 as a savings-account (with no interest rate, but what is that today at a bank))
As long as Tesla doesn't go bankrupt, you can keep all options open..

kirank.kota | September 22, 2017

gjurkov44 | September 18, 2017
I'm debating about cancelling....I'm around 115,000.....I want sooner than later, but not sure I want to spend $49k on a 4th car.....

How do you know the number? Is there a way you can look it up?

Frank99 | September 22, 2017

You can guesstimate it from when you reserved. For example, at the beginning of the Reveal there was a big board that showed that 115,000 reservations had been made - and at the end of the reveal, it read 150,000. I know that I'm about 36,000.

But that number's meaningless, because of Tesla's scheduling (Employees first, then local owners, then further away owners, then non-owners, etc). Go to https://3.tesla.com/model3/delivery-estimate and get Tesla's official estimate of when you'll get your car.