Forums

No Model 3 Leasing Offered as of now - Three Questions for buyers.....

No Model 3 Leasing Offered as of now - Three Questions for buyers.....

"Initially for Model 3, we will not be offering a lease financing option, which will result in upfront revenue recognition of the vehicle and improved cash flows from
Model 3 deliveries."

Three questions.......????

1. We you planning to lease your Model 3?

2. Will the fact that no lease is available make you choose to wait until a lease is available?

While we're talking about Tesla's lack of choices, in both options and now financing choices.....

3. For "front of the line place holders" that planned on being able to configure the car as you wanted, will you choose to just buy the $49,000 configuration now rather than waiting for the ability to configure the car the way you really wanted it??

2015P90DI | November 3, 2017

I'll answer my own questions to be fair....

1. Yes
2. Likely would have been yes, would just buy or finance it
3. Not an easy answer. Originally was thinking yes, sacrificing AWD, Air Suspension and Performance Mode. BUT, now that I'm forced to BUY the car instead of leasing it with no risk after 3 years, I'm second guessing this decision. Do I buy a configuration that's not my first choice? At least on a lease, I can just give it back in 2-3 years and by then, hopefully the other options are available. Now I'm stuck owning the car, that knowing Tesla's history, especially on a first production run car, will likely be outdated shortly as changes are made to the car, not sure I want to OWN the first run of the car. If I had to choose right now, I'd say NO. But will hold out a little longer since I haven't been invited to configure yet. No point in cancelling the order, will just be first in line for the car when the other options come available. Assuming that will be another year or so.

patswin | November 3, 2017

A lot of people want the m3. Their approach satisfies the most the quickest. Sorry it doesn’t sit well with you.

dsvick | November 3, 2017

No
No
No, I'm waiting for standard range with PUP. Possibly dual motors but I want to see pricing on it first.

Coastal Cruiser. | November 3, 2017

I never gave much thought to the word "troll" until visiting this forum. But because the word has been used so often in here I started thinking about it. At first I just had an image of a troll as a creature living by a bridge and making trouble for passerbyers. Upon further reflection I thought the word must refer to trolling while fishing. That's when you cast out a line and a hook and then slowly move around until all areas are covered.... hoping a fish will bite on your hook.

So just now I finally took the time to look the word up. And unsurprisingly the Urban Dictionary has a specific definition for an internet troll...

--------
The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
Trolling requires deceiving; any trolling that doesn't involve deceiving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccessful troll.

Signs that your trolling is successful:
*Your victim screaming in all-caps at you.
*Personal attacks (Calling you a retard, idiot, etc).
*Being an Internet Tough Guy.
*Making a crude remark, before quickly logging off before you can retort.

Signs that your trolling is unsuccessful:
*Your victim identifying you as a troll.
*Identifying yourself as a troll.
*Your efforts being ignored.
*Being counter-trolled (See below)

Counter-trolling (Or reverse trolling) is an effective method of redeeming yourself after being trolled. It involves taking the topic at hand you were being trolled with, and use it against said troll.

tstolz | November 3, 2017

1. Leasing is more expensive than buying ... so no.
2. Leasing is available through 3rd parties ... so this is not a barrier for anyone
3. People select features based on what they value. In this case, if the buyer values an early delivery more than a particular option that has not yet rolled out ... they select early delivery ... and vice versa. There is no conflict here ... every decision in life is like this!

ps9090 | November 3, 2017

1) Yes its a new model, rapidly growing tech, questionable resale value down the line. So leasing seems wise.

2) No, my credit union does leases. Many don't as far as I know, but some employee based credit unions do.

3) If the $7500 tax credit is still there/tax bill doesn't pass, I'll get the fully loaded Premium, w / CA rebate of $2500. Also because I'm anxious to get the car, or a car, soon. But it hinges on the tax credit, for me, at least for now. Otherwise I wait for the Standard. Or not. I'd be happy with either model at this point. But I'm not 100% down like some of you.

Rocky_H | November 3, 2017

(1) Leasing is terrible financially, and I don't do disposable cars, so no.
(2) See #1
(3) I wouldn't get a configuration I don't want just to get it early, so I would wait until I can order the right version of the car.

andy.connor.e | November 3, 2017

They're not likely to offer leasing until reservations have been filled. Why would they ever offer a lease when they have orders to straight up purchase the vehicle?

ReD eXiLe ms us | November 3, 2017

Coastal_Cruiser: +42! Thank you for the reminder.

1) Leasing a new car is stupid. Much less expense in purchasing a used car, that some idiot leased, three years later. That does require... patience, determination, discretion, and discipline.

2) Everyone here has chosen to wait -- for a Tesla. NOT an Acura, Alfa Romeo, AUDI, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ferrari, Ford, Genesis, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Kia, Lexus, Lincoln, Maserati, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, Range Rover, smart, Subaru, Toyota, or anyone else.

3) There are thousands of choices one can make when looking to purchase a new vehicle. Once someone has elected to purchase the best fully electric car they can afford, the pool narrows considerably. The pool of choices narrows in a similar fashion by choosing to only buy American, or Japanese, or European brands. The process of elimination happens no matter what path you choose. Like British, French, German, or Italian cars. And in some of those alleys and byways you reach a dead end when seeking a fully electric car.

Deciding to buy a Tesla is no dead end. Leasing is NOT buying. When you decide you must lease this year, you are choosing to eliminate Tesla Model 3 from your pool of choices. Your decision. Perhaps, if you would like to lease a Tesla sooner, you could launch a campaign to make their cars seem less affordable, desirable, or worthwhile, and if successful, you would benefit from that change in attitude by getting what YOU want, if a lot fewer people want to buy, then Tesla would have to offer leasing. Ah, but if people don't agree, and buy a Tesla Model 3 anyway, even when they would have leased an AUDI, BMW, Cadillac, Chrysler, Lexus, Lincoln, or Mercedes-Benz in the price range instead, or not acquired any such vehicle at all because they did not find them compelling enough to warrant the expense, then the whole plan falls apart.

I think a whole lot more people want to BUY a Tesla than want to lease anything else in the price range. The U.S. 'sales' for BMW 3-Series, which have traditionally been heavy with leases, have been steadily falling since 2015. Interesting.

WantMY | November 3, 2017

The moment Tesla get into full production output, germans can pack bags and take those stinky unreliable ICE back home. LOL

2015P90DI | November 3, 2017

@ReD. So you're calling more than 35% of Tesla's customers "stupid" because they chose to lease their cars instead of buy them? Is it really appropriate to call someone "stupid" without having a clue of each individual's situation and knowledge of why the chose to lease?

compchat | November 3, 2017

Tesla adds new features to its cars so quickly that purchasing leaves you with an older highly depreciated car when you purchase. Leasing at lease has a shorter term, lower down payment and allows you to obtain new features faster than purchasing (unless you purchase with all cash). I lease a car every three years and then turn it in (I think my current one is 39 months). So when the lease expires I'll lease a model 3 (from a bank). Disappointed that Tesla won't simplify the process by offering lease financing !

Tesla2018 | November 3, 2017

Doesnt a leasing company have to buy the car before it can lease it out. In the future after all reservations have been filled then it might be possible. Hertz cant call up Tesla and say we want 10000 cars for our rental fleet.

noleaf4me | November 3, 2017

I'm not leasing - and what is offered is pretty much what I wanted anyway....I'm IN

(and still blocked on the Hat thread...)

@compchat - just buy your car and sell it when you want to sell.

When you lease ... someone else has to buy your car ... whether that be Tesla or a bank. The leasing company will charge you for the value you use up plus their costs plus some profit. When you buy a car and sell it in say 36 months, the depreciation the car incurs is exactly the same as what the leasing company would have absorbed. You are ahead however since you didn't pay for the leasing company's costs and profit.

Keep in mind ... there is only one rate-payer in either type of sale ... you. There is no free buck. The leasing company will not take a loss on the vehicle they lease to you.

@compchat - just buy your car and sell it when you want to sell.

When you lease ... someone else has to buy your car ... whether that be Tesla or a bank. The leasing company will charge you for the value you use up plus their costs plus some profit. When you buy a car and sell it in say 36 months, the depreciation the car incurs is exactly the same as what the leasing company would have absorbed. You are ahead however since you didn't pay for the leasing company's costs and profit.

Keep in mind ... there is only one rate-payer in either type of sale ... you. There is no free buck. The leasing company will not take a loss on the vehicle they lease to you.

finman100 | November 6, 2017

Tell Nissan that. End o lease Leafs are being discounted. Was 6 to 7 grand off the residual to buy at one point last summer. Now about 3-4 grand is being "gifted" to those wanting to buy their Leaf leased car. Ask me how I know.

Yeah, yeah. i know..."But it's a crappy Leaf!". What can I say. 42,000 gas-free miles and it does the job. For now. I'm over the moon a long-distance Tesla is on the market for the SAME price as my Leaf mfg suggested retail from 3 years ago. Now that's progress.