Forums

5 minute charge

5 minute charge

TeslaTap.com | November 4, 2017

Cool if possible, but years of testing required. Usually, they quickly discover something critical, like it only lasts a few months, or costs 10 times what current technology is. Here's more about why new batteries rarely succeed: https://teslatap.com/articles/understanding-new-battery-breakthroughs/

Then to charge a 100 kWh battery like the Tesla in 5 minutes, you'd need a 1200 kWh charger! The cables might be 8" thick and requires small crane to lift into place. The connector on this would also be massive, as would the cabling inside the car. If battery cooling is required, it might need to be 10 times more powerful than the current Model S/X cooling system - meaning far more weight, cost and size.

RedShift | November 4, 2017

I’ll believe it when I see it in a car. Plus, like TeslaTap mentioned, the infrastructure would have to be pretty unwieldy even if they make it happen. Still, excited about the possibilities.

Uncle Paul | November 5, 2017

I have a 10 Second charger in my garage.

Takes me 5 seconds to plug it in when I get home, and another 5 seconds to unplug it when I leave : >)

Rocky_H | November 6, 2017

I HATE how unscientific the units are on these claims. The "5 minute" charge means nothing when no one will discuss what size of battery is being filled in 5 minutes. We've already had the capability for "5 minute" charging for decades if it's only a 1kWh sized battery. Does their "5 minute" charge fill a 1 GWh sized battery? You use Watts to describe the technical speed of energy delivery, not minutes.

Frank99 | November 6, 2017

Rocky -
There are two problems at play. The first is, as TeslaTap noted, providing enough power to the car/battery to charge a large battery in 5 minutes. 1200 KW is a lot of power - but there are plenty of businesses that have that level of service, so it's a solved problem that just needs money to put into place.
The second problem is that LiIon battery chemistry really doesn't like getting charged faster than about an hour. With their built-in cooling system, Tesla could probably get down a bit below that. This doesn't depend on how big the battery is, it's dependent only on the chemistry. Charge too fast, and the battery lifetime suffers.

5 Minute charging (or 10, or 20, or 30 minute) has to wait for a Nobel Prize worthy breakthrough in Battery chemistry. Imagine that you could charge your cell phone in 5 minutes, or your EV, or any other battery powered device. Everyone from Tesla to Black&Decker would pay a ton for that technology. But it just doesn't exist today.

cb500r | November 6, 2017

Rocky's comment is right about the units. Do you need 1.2GWh to charge your mobile phone within 5 minutes?
Therefore, the 1.2GWh came from a 100kWh battery to be charged.
On the other side, the initiator of the 1.2GWh-charger has underestimated the effect of voltage.
Double the voltage on Supercharger would allow to transfer same current as in current systems.
Not sure about why the automotive stucks at 400V, similar to still use 12V.
On the other side, I have no clue how much makes sense.
But at least, with 7000 cells at 3.7V, you can scale this one up quite massively. ~26kV with still the same power but lot thinner wire vs. increased insulation effort.