Forums

Will Windows Phone Contacts Sync to MX via Bluetooth?

Will Windows Phone Contacts Sync to MX via Bluetooth?

Picking up Model X today - woot!

When I pair the Windows Phone to the MX via Bluetooth, will contacts sync automatically? And if not, is there some procedure for getting the WP contacts over to the Tesla?

Thanks.

markcohen | December 11, 2017

They transfered for me right after pairing the phone to the car. No action on my part to make it happen. Also don't forget to install the Tesla app on your phone.

markcohen | December 11, 2017

Sorry... I reread the original post as I was hitting send. I noticed "Windows Phone" then. I would imagine that the contacts will still transfer with no problem, but IDK about the app.

burdogg | December 11, 2017

Yes, it does it just fine - just switched from a windows phone after 3 years - frustrated with lack of support for windows phones with most everything out there now adays - no official tesla app, among all other apps you can't get.

One nice things about the windows phone - when you get a text while driving, it will let you know over the speakers that you got a text and ask if you want to read it or ignore it. You can then also reply. This is unique to Windows phone with Tesla - android and Apple both won't read you your texts over the speaker. Was the one nice perk.

markcohen | December 12, 2017

@burdogg you can have your iPhone and I think Android as well read your txts. IDK if you can do it proactively, but you can definitely say "Hey Siri, read text" and it will start a dialog over the car's speaker and mic where it will read all unread texts and ask if you want to respond.

burdogg | December 12, 2017

The windows phone though, you don't have to do anything - it just comes right in - whereas all others, you have to "do" something to get it to then read the text to you. Haven't figured it out yet with my Samsung S8 - but haven't spent much time with it yet either. Just miss the automatic of the windows phone - but don't miss the lack of apps or support ;)

ok, so I messed around a little in my car with my Samsung S8 - sorry, it is no where as nice with the integration as the Windows phone. For the S8 to read my text messages, I have to first, int he music app, select the phone for streaming. Then I have to say - ok google, read me my text message - oh wait, I actually have to push the button to wake my phone up so google can then hear me say - ok google, read me my text message. Then it will read it. I then after am done, have to go back to the car music app and select streaming, then select the station I want to play - thus cutting off the song I was listening to to do this, and then start a whole new song when I come back.

With the Windows phone - while it didn't pause the music, it just would take over the sound system and read the text message. I could pause the music so I didn't miss where I was while this was happening.

I could not find any other way for the phone to go over the speakers unless I switched the connection from streaming music, to the bluetooth phone connection. Am I missing something here?

markcohen | December 12, 2017

Wow... my iPhone and Moto Z2 Android phone are much more seamless than that. With the iphone all I have to do is say hey Sir loud enough for it to hear it over whatever is playing. In response, it takes over the audio in the car. Then I say "read txt" and I am good. When I am done, the music starts playing again just like it would when I end a phone call.

Ok, so I may have to look into it more - anyone out there with a Samsung that can confirm how theirs works? Would love for someone to have a fix for me without me having to sit in my car playing with all kinds of things and still not having any luck.

When I use any of the personal assistants when connected to the car - ie google, bixby, or cortana, they all work on the phone, but can't hear anything over the speakers. So they are working but I can't hear any sound period - not through the phone or the car speakers, but on the phone, you can tell they are responding. I have to actually select the phone in the music app for the sound to then come through. Any ideas?

markcohen | December 13, 2017

I'll try it again with my Moto Z. It definitely works through the car's speaker/mic with my iphone. The only thing that I've had to do on occasion is to turn the radio's volume down when saying Hey Siri so that I don't get random input.

Silver2K | December 13, 2017

Burdogg, the responses from the personal assistant are considered media. When connecting your phone via Bluetooth you connected the media option. All media goes through the car after tapping inn the play button in music section.