Forums

Energous and Tesla?

Energous and Tesla?

I wonder if Tesla would consider (or if it is possible) using Energous wireless charging technology in a near future.

A brief description of the technology from Energous web site:

"Energous Corporation is the developer of WattUp®—an award-winning, wire-free charging technology that will transform the way consumers and industries charge and power electronic devices at home, in the office, in the car and beyond. WattUp is a revolutionary radio frequency (RF) based charging solution that delivers intelligent, scalable power via radio bands, similar to a Wi-Fi router. WattUp differs from older wireless charging systems in that it delivers power at a distance, to multiple devices – thus resulting in a wire-free experience that saves users from having to remember to plug in their devices."

Source: http://energous.com/technology/product-overview/

Their stock (NASDAQ: WATT) is going up, after the FCC approval.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with the company nor I hold shares (yet).

All the best,

Ed Torres

Frank99 | January 24, 2018

I would guess they'd be willing to look at it, once:
1. Energous proves that it can actually deliver power in the way that they say
2. Energous proves that it can deliver 10 kilowattts of power reasonably efficiently
3. Energous proves that delivering 10kw of power won't cause the owner's head to explode if it accidentally gets in between the transmitting device and the car (recognize that a powerful microwave oven only delivers 1 kw).

There's a lot of difference between "I can deliver 1w of power to your cellphone, although another 3w gets dissipated" and "I can deliver 10000w of power to your car, although another 30000w gets dissipated".

reed_lewis | January 24, 2018

I completely concur with @Frank99. The difference between 1 watt of power and 10 kW is massive, and delivering that amount of power to charge a car would simply be much too dangerous.

Now if you are saying that perhaps Tesla could put an emitter in the car to charge devices, then perhaps.

But I doubt that we will ever see wireless charging that is anything close to that for a car.

TeslaTap.com | January 24, 2018

The model 3 already includes wireless phone charging within the car.

Plugless offers Model S 7.2 kW wireless main battery charging: https://www.pluglesspower.com/shop/reserve-tesla-model-s/

Frank99 | January 24, 2018

>>> The model 3 already includes wireless phone charging within the car.
Are you sure? I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but it would be cool...

Plugless is a different system - they need to couple to the car within a couple of inches. No chance of getting your head in that space. Energous says they can do charging from 15 feet away - they envision that you put one of their devices on the wall or ceiling. If they're the ones I'm thinking of, I talked with them a bit at CES - they use multiple antennas so they can "focus" the power beam in the direction of the device needing it, kind of like how WiFi routers with multiple antennas work. There were two or three companies showing similar things at CES, but I'm skeptical of all of them.

torresinc | January 24, 2018

Thank you for the clarifications, Frank!

Ed Torres

DonS | January 24, 2018

Plugless does have a cost in lost efficiency, so wired connectors are better. There may be future applications like stop light waiting or freeway roadbeds that the lost efficiency could be a worthwhile trade off. Any large deployment is still a decade away.

Remnant | January 25, 2018

@torresinc (OP, January 24, 2018)

<< Energous and Tesla? ... I wonder if Tesla would consider (or if it is possible) using Energous wireless charging technology in a near future. >>

Your question points in the right direction: a certification by Tesla would be the appropriate manner of adopting (or importing) such Technology, into any Tesla Power & Storage Energy System.

TeslaTap.com | January 25, 2018

I was wrong on the Model 3 wireless charging of phones. Not sure where I got that from!

RedShift | January 27, 2018

My friend has a wired charging startup. They just got funded too, I think. Their system is similar to a wireless system, except its wired and thus, more efficient.
I think the time for my friend has come - more and more people will want the convenience.

csgo.expertt | April 15, 2018

Is it work with https://mobile-spy-apps.com mobile recorder on Android?

valenzuelamark64 | February 26, 2020

I think you may need this info https://spying.ninja/android-hacking-apps/ as well. Works pretty good with Android.