Forums

Elon Musk on new Stephen Colbert Late Show 9-9-15 @11:35pm EST

Elon Musk on new Stephen Colbert Late Show 9-9-15 @11:35pm EST

Elon Musk is scheduled to be on the new Late show with Stephen Colbert on September 9, 2015 @11:35pm EST, which will be his second show. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/24/late-show-stephen-colbert-premiere-... I look forward to Elon's comments about the soon to be released Model X, updates on model 3 and on the gigafactory, among the other significant topics he might discuss such as Space X. I wonder if Mr Colbert will keep the same light hearted interview style he had in his last show. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about Elon Musk's upcoming television appearance.

johnse | September 1, 2015

I predict that Elon will arrive on stage in a Signature Red Model X and step out of the Falcon Wing doors.

Maybe Colbert will be driving :-)

SamO | September 1, 2015

Colbert is a Model S owner and (rumor making) a Founder's series X reservation holder. Perhaps take delivery on stage.

ken | September 2, 2015

That would be great but that sounds a lot like an info-commercial to me, not sure the network would allow that. I hope you guys are right, it would be great to see.

jordanrichard | September 2, 2015

Ken, every single guest/segment on any of these talk shows is a info-commercial. Be it an album, book, movie, etc.

Ken, that is what all of these talk shows are in the first place, infomercials. Back in the day, like the Johnny Carson era, guest would come on and stay on even after their time was up. They would move on down the couch. Basically it would be a few stars just sitting around BSing which was entertaining.

Now it is come out pitch your movie, book, etc. and leave.

I am certain that if Colbert wants his X delivered on set as part of the show, they will let him. CBS is literally banking on his show being a success, so I am sure they will be very accommodating to him and any "gimmicks" that might draw in viewers.

Ankit Mishra | September 2, 2015

I don't think so. I think the X reveal will be a big event without any third party involvement. It wouldn't do justice to a car that people have been waiting since 3 years.

Elon said a number of times that there will be no "Big" event/reveal of the X, along the lines of the "D" event. The reveal will be owners receiving their Xes.

So, Colbert getting his on TV would certainly be both an owner getting their X and a reveal.

Again we are just speculating as to why Elon will be on Colbert, now.

johnse | September 2, 2015

Back at an event in January, I think, Elon said there would be a big reveal (I couldn't find the video, will look again later). Later he has said there wouldn't be... so who knows?

GeorgeA | September 2, 2015

I will be among the millions of people eagerly watching his show next week. His appearance will be a win win for both Colbert and Elon / Telsa. I think his appearance is timed perfectly with the first X delievery late this month, especailly since Tesla has virtually no marketing / advertising budget. I like the idea of an X delivery on the show. I would hope folks waiting for 3 years would let Colbert go to the front of line given the national exposure Tesla will get.

vandacca | September 2, 2015

Who needs marketing, when you have Twitter???

JayInJapan | September 3, 2015

Who says SC didn't wait 3 years for his possible X?

GeorgeA | September 4, 2015

Agree. Tesla has done extremely well without ads or funding marketing. Twitter and television widen the target market. Older potential buyers with means that watch Elon`s TV appearances may not use Twitter. Several different information venues are wise. Even if Colbert didn`t wait 3 yrs, no big deal, let him go to front of line. Tesla is getting free press to millions of prospective buyers. As supply of X begins to meet demand, additional appearances or PR events may be in order.

Benz | September 6, 2015

Does anyone know if people in The Netherlands could watch the show live? Maybe via the Internet?

eric.zucker | September 6, 2015

Please do share any way we might catch the show over the net. Of is someone would be kind enough to publish a summary here.

Red Sage ca us | September 6, 2015

[ECHO ZULU TANGO VICTOR -dot- ALPHA GOLF]

Benz | September 6, 2015

@ Red Sage

EZTV.AG ?

ram1901 | September 6, 2015

While it will not be live, it might end up on the CBS website.

They have an on-demand viewing page for some of their shows...

http://www.cbs.com/watch/

Colbert has his page as well that might post video after the fact...

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/

Not as good as live but if there is a reveal, and you miss the show, you may be able to
see the next day.

Red Sage ca us | September 6, 2015

Benz: Da. It used to be [...-dot- INDIA TANGO] instead.

Benz | September 7, 2015

OK, thanks.

PhillyGal | September 7, 2015

Darn show is about an hour past my bedtime.
I might have to make an exception.

ernie | September 7, 2015

@PhillyGal...they have things such as DVR's and Tivo...someone will be glad to take your spare change so you can get your rest.

kamala | September 8, 2015

Scarlett Johansson and Kendrick Lamar will also appear. Elon is guest #2 of the night, which generally means no more than 5-7 minutes of air time. No way he is delivering a Model X in such a rushed fashion.

Benz | September 9, 2015

People outside America cannot whatch it. Too bad.

SamO | September 9, 2015

@Benz,

It will be all over the nets about 2 hours after broadcast.

My prediction is that he'll mention the X and perhaps demonstrate the snake charger. . . it was built just for Stephen.

"what do you wish there was?"

3:31 of video #2

http://gizmodo.com/heres-colberts-complete-elon-musk-interview-from-last...

ANSWER:

Superchargers
HPWC
Autopilot
Snake Chargers

No more plugging in. Car always find the plug or it finds you.

ParklandFLMike | September 9, 2015

I hope he announces Autopilot(Auto lane steering) will be downloaded tomorrow. In my opinion, it would just seems wrong if in fact the Model X has this feature at the same time or before the Model S.

GeorgeA | September 9, 2015

It's 7pm EST now. Elon has already made his CBS Late show with Stephen Colbert in NYC, which airs later tonight 11:35pm. His appearance might be after midnight EST. I wonder if any Tesla fan was in the audience to see it live? Can't wait to watch it.

jordanrichard | September 9, 2015

I too have been giving this more thought. Surely if an X was revealed/delivered to Colbert, it would have been spotted in NYC and already posted here or at TMC.

ram1901 | September 9, 2015

What a let down. Model X not even mentioned. Colbert spend more time on humor about SpaceX than any of the other companies associated with Elon Musk. A missed opportunity for tons of free publicity on Model X.

TonyInNH | September 9, 2015

Kinda disappointed in the whole show, Colbert spoke more than any of his guests and he was constantly talking over them. What's the point in even having guests?

Iowa92x | September 9, 2015

Colbert was a tool. Be quiet and listen.

sra | September 9, 2015

Not possible to see the show in Norway through the link kindly given by @SamO. Scoring to @ram1901, we did not miss anything. TV hosts that like their own voice better than guest's......

sra | September 9, 2015

Not possible to see the show in Norway through the link kindly given by @SamO. Scoring to @ram1901, we did not miss anything. TV hosts that like their own voice better than guest's.......

johnse | September 10, 2015

Well, so much for my prediction :P

Was good to see the Snakebot charger on network television, though :)

TonyInNH | September 10, 2015

Did anyone else think that the big fury hat skit was totally lame?

aljjr2 | September 10, 2015

The show was lame--too much time on silliness and little time for guest. CBS needs to revamp. Colbert never let guest tell their story or talk. He talks over them, upstages with his "humor" or sarcasm.

Why would he embarrass Musk with the SpaceX rocket blowing up, and asking if he felt bad?

I never thought there would be any details on the X..Even if Musk wanted to, Colbert would give him a chance to speak. I won't be tuning in again.

TonyInNH | September 10, 2015

I tuned in to watch Musk, was really excited to hear Scarlet Johansson was going to on there as well, sort of a bonus. I was disappointed that each guest was only on there for like 5 minutes and the conversations seemed to be dominated by the host.

The only enjoyable moment was when Musk pointed out to Colbert that there was only one Space X CEO and he was it.

proven | September 10, 2015

Our talk shows in America are weak. The guests are there for less than five minutes and barely say anything. I prefer Graham Norton since he has the guests there for the entire show and they get to all interact with each other.

Remnant | September 10, 2015

According to EM, the good news is that EM will export Global Warming to Mars.

The bad is that if you stoop to pick something off the floor while the snake cable is searching for its target, the snake might mistake your ass for it.

vandacca | September 10, 2015

Good summary @Remnant. I think that pretty much covered the episode.

grant10k | September 10, 2015

It's about what I expected. I'd have liked some showing of the X, but it's a talk show.

@aljjr2, That's always been the case. I remember forever ago my dad telling me it's hard to be on Letterman because David Letterman is always joking, and if the guest tries to joke back, Letterman ends up upstaging them. They're professional comedians.

I also rarely see a guest actually upset. I strongly suspect they know what sort of material is going to be brought up ahead of time. If Elon was upset about about the rocket (and he very clearly was not), than they would not have aired that portion.

On that note, if they didn't get around to talking about the Model X it's because there were no plans to talk about the Model X. Segments that run long get put up on the web, so it's not like they were going to and then ran out of time. Colbert's been doing this for a decade, but it's a comedy show, not a press conference.

So to everyone poo-pooing The Late Show because it wasn't "The Late Show with Elon Musk", it sounds like a bunch of you went in with the wrong expectations. It's fine to not like the show, and it's fine to never watch it again, but let's not pretend that Colbert is in the business of sitting back and being all serious on his comedy show. It's just not that type of show.

ernie | September 10, 2015

Well I recorded it on Tivo. I think I will not watch it as there are so many other things I can do such as answering my wife's question: "why are you buying such an expensive car."

ken | September 10, 2015

I agree with all of your comments, it was very disappointing, and I didn't go in expecting much.

eddeppman | September 10, 2015

But then, if you were ever a fan of the Cobert Report, you weren't surprised by this interview. Basically, it's the same show, just repackaged for a larger audience.

If you TiVo'd it, the two main reasons you might watch it are if you are a fan of late shows, Colbert, or SpaceX. The focus was basically the elevator pitch that reusable rockets are cheaper than the throwaway kind. It wasn't anything technical so you wouldn't miss anything if you gave it a pass.

Also Colbert called Elon a supervillan for suggesting nuking Mars to heat it up a little (in jest, of course). Earlier in the show he wasn't sure if Elon was a superhero or supervillan.

georgehawley.fl.us | September 10, 2015

Waste of time.
Colbert was a dork.
Elon came out looking like a dork but Colbert out dorked him.
Not to put too fine a point on it.

GeorgeA | September 10, 2015

It is never a waste of time listening to Elon when he speaks at any venue. The rocket clip was used by Colbert to get a laugh at Elon's expense. But Colbert did say thereby endorsing, that he owns a Model S. He also commented that Elon is not a typical CEO that he actually cares and wants to do what he can to positively change the world which was a comment of admiration I thought.

I heard that Elon wanted to focus more on Space X then Model X at this particular moment time, for whatever reason. Colbert and other entertainment type shows reach different audiences versus the straight news or interview serious type of shows. Elon doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, his actions thus far to improve our world speak louder than any words at any venue. He is persistent and follows through. Educated,informed people knows this about him already.

GeorgeA | September 10, 2015

It is never a waste of time listening to Elon when he speaks at any venue. The rocket clip was used by Colbert to get a laugh at Elon's expense. But Colbert did say thereby endorsing, that he owns a Model S. He also commented that Elon is not a typical CEO that he actually cares and wants to do what he can to positively change the world which was a comment of admiration I thought.

I heard that Elon wanted to focus more on Space X then Model X at this particular moment time, for whatever reason. Colbert and other entertainment type shows reach different audiences versus the straight news or interview serious type of shows. Elon doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, his actions thus far to improve our world speak louder than any words at any venue. He is persistent and follows through. Educated,informed people know this about him already.

Red Sage ca us | September 10, 2015

I loved the show, was surprised I was able to watch it from beginning to end, as I rarely do that with late night television. Scarlett Johansson is rather stunningly awesome, and willing to 'play ball'. Yes, Elon's segment was pretty lightweight. It really covered the same ground as from an appearance on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Nice to see that Kendrick Lamar is dedicated to using an actual band for a real, live performance, instead of the typical lip sync action.

I really don't understand why anyone would expect Stephen Colbert to have an interview style like Dick Cavett.

Villain? Well, Elon's twitter profile does feature a cropped version of this photo, so...

This isn't the first time Colbert called Elon a supervillan. Back in 2010 he was on for longer on the Colbert Report. The focus was on SpaceX.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/hjiro1/the-colbert-report-elon-musk

That time the innuendo was "Have you seen my rocket?" being erected, vs the more recent "Don't drop the soap near the electric probe".

rdalcanto | September 10, 2015

With all the bashing of the segment here, I almost didn't bother watching it. I actually found it entertaining. (I did not see the rest of the show, only the part with Elon).

Pages