Forums

35+ days in the shop

35+ days in the shop

Took delivery of our new 2018 MX 100D in late March. Noticed a few paint bubbles in right rear passenger door frame.

Delivery team told me the service center could buff it out in 5 mins. Service center said no such luck, and that it's a body shop issue.

Additionally, MCU has been malfunctioning (i.e. resets/freezes sporadically, sound shuts off entirely including the turn signal, panels are blurry). Took it into the shop once for paint + MCU (8 days) and no resolution beyond a firmware update which didn't help.

Took it again, and 35+ days later still no resolution.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Advice?

TeslaTap.com | June 5, 2018

Sorry to hear about your problems. What's not resolved? Did they repaint or not? Do they have the car for 35 days or is that how long you've had it or seen problems? Can you demonstrate the MCU issue to service or is it too rare/intermittent? What panels are blurry (doesn't make much sense to me) - do you mean the instrument cluster and main display? Clearly Tesla needs to fix the issues, but it's not clear what's fixed or what needs to be fixed from the text above. You might contact the service manager as a next logical step.

dmm1240 | June 5, 2018

Well, some good news on this front. Musk announced Tesla is adding body shops to service centers. The first 10 will open in the ten largest cities soon. Others to follow. All body shops will stock parts.

Musk did admit that customers sometimes have to wait several weeks for parts to arrive basically saying it's unacceptable.

lilbean | June 5, 2018

@dmm That is great news and he mentioned same day repairs. :)

TeslaFixer | June 6, 2018

For some stupid reason, if you notice any sort of defect in your new vehicle, Tesla wants to replace those parts instead of repairing them. We have had our local service center want us to replaced a quarter panel on a new delivery because of a minor paint defect.

Currently bumpers are taking about 6-8 weeks to get into the shop.

Sc0rPs | June 6, 2018

@TeslaFixer Guessing that's part of the issue with lack of actual body shops and the lack of stocked parts & accessories.

Curious did they insist on replacement for any specific reason? My guess there could be a defect which caused the paint issue? You mentioned quarter panel but waiting on a bumper?

TeslaFixer | June 6, 2018

I think it is just a company policy, made by people who dont understand body shops or body repair.

It is pretty standard for any type of new vehicle to come with very minor flaws, generally dirt in the paint. Most car companies have a policy for what is acceptable and what is not, I believe most domestic car makers can have 5-7, and generally most consumers will never find even one of them.

With Tesla, instead of polishing out these dirt nibs for 5-10 mins at a cost of pretty much nothing, they choose to replace the part, which costs a small portion. The funny part is when the part they want to replace is a riveted and bonded part like a quarter panel.

I was just using bumpers to show how long we are waiting for parts that any other manufacturer would provide in 1-3 days.

The idea of Tesla running their own body shops is pretty laughable. We do a lot of work for the local Tesla Service Center and they can't even get parts for those cars any quicker.

Vawlkus | June 7, 2018

Hopefully that replacement policy will change in the near future, now that Tesla is expanding those body shop presence.

akgupta | June 7, 2018

TeslaTap:
**Nothing is resolved yet. The paint is not yet fixed nor has the MCU been addressed. Since there were bubbles in the paint, it's more than repainting. I think they had to replace parts, including a door seal (so I have been told) and parts have been either incorrectly installed or ordered, hence prolonged delays.
**My MX has been in the shop for 37 days now. The MCU issues - which I was able to capture on video - started about a week after we took delivery. I quickly gave the car back to Tesla, they had it for 8 days, and in that time frame all they did was push a firmware update because they could not replicate the issues. The same issues (freezing, shutting off while driving, etc.) started to happen immediately again so it's in the shop again.
**The instrument panel was blurry, sorry for not being clearer. It was like 2 images were slightly overlapping. I took a picture and shared it with the service center.
**I've documented everything and been very vocal with the service center but its taking WAY too long to get resolved. Really frustrating. I've asked for the service manager to reach out many times but that hasn't happened. Suggestions on how to escalate beyond going to the center directly?

akgupta | June 7, 2018

@Sc0rPs - the bubbles in the paint were not able to be buffed out. So a body shop was needed to (I think) take off a panel and replace it. They also needed to replace door seals and indicated they will not re-use door seals, even if they are not damaged.

TeslaFixer | June 7, 2018

@akgupta - A lot of the door w'strips on vehicle's are double-sided taped and one time use if they are removed.

Weird about the bubbles in the paint, a lot of times it is because it is rusting underneath, but that would be pretty rare for a new vehicle.

TeslaTap.com | June 9, 2018

And rusting would be even rarer in an aluminum body!

akgupta | June 11, 2018

That makes sense thanks TeslaFixer. On a side note was finally able to connect with the manager at my service center who was helpful.

TeslaFixer | June 12, 2018

On a side note, I had this in my inbox this morning:

Greetings,

Since Tesla’s announcement to open 10 body shops by the end of June this last week, many of you have been reaching out to us.

In response to our rapidly growing production rates, units in operation, backlog, and customer feedback we have decided to open 10 body shops in 10 major metro markets across the US to supplement the network. Together we will be able to offer our mutual customers the best possible experience when it comes to collision repair!

We intend to run these body shops in alignment with standard body shop practices using list parts pricing, fair judgement times regarding repairs, and accepted market rates. These centers will help to bring clarity to the industry at large on the necessary operations involved in repairing a Tesla and will spawn a new wave of innovation as we press forward to improve existing collision repair practices.

As an added benefit to the industry at large, our future plan is to use these repair centers as training and support resources for our auto body partners and the insurance industry.

We are listening to you. Over the past few weeks and months we have had many suggestions, and new initiatives are being worked on to provide an even better standard of support. You will be seeing needed advancements coming in the near term.

Since day one the Tesla Approved Body Shop program has been evolving and growing, and will continue to do so. Together we can ensure that every Tesla owner receives the best Quality of repairs, with the least amount of down Time, and the fairest Cost to repair.

Regards,

Body Repair Program
3777 Spinnaker Court, Fremont, CA 94538

jerryk | June 12, 2018

@TeslaTap.com Aluminum does not rust, but it does corrode and pit. And the paint can get particles of aluminum oxide. As an aircraft owner I have had to deal with this numerous times. And it can start even with new pieces of the aluminum sheet while in storage. It can get so bad that you scrap the plane because the cost to repair is too high.

TeslaTap.com | June 12, 2018

@jerryk - Tesla dips the entire body in an anti-corrosion bath before painting, which should also eliminate or greatly reduce the amount of future corrosion. Still with rock hits and salt roads, it's not great for aluminum or steel, but far worse for steel. I also thought aircraft aluminum is far thinner than that used on auto bodies?

My friend has an all aluminum Swift (built in 1947) that is still flying regularly. I flew with him back to OsHkosh one year in it. Perhaps they did a better job of corrosion resistance back then. Then again, his 2nd Swift is being fully disassembled and inspected/repaired right now for the first time. I know a few parts have to be replaced but don't know the details. I'm suspect some parts are being replaced due to corrosion. Not bad for 70 years of use.

If people get 70 years out of their Tesla vehicle bodies like these old Swifts, I think the'll be happy :)