Forums

Any e perience on taking your Model 3 on auto train?

Any e perience on taking your Model 3 on auto train?

At the end of August, we’re about to take our M3 on Amtrak’s auto train. We’ve done it several times before with an ICE car. I’m going to mag a sticker to show the car handlers how to open the driver’s door because I have a sinking feeling that they’ll first reach for the emergency handle.

And would they know how to use the shift handle?

Has anyone traveled with their M3 on the auto train yet?

Richardbesner29 | July 10, 2019

Xx

vmulla | July 10, 2019

But why?!

I've done the auto train, and the trip is faster and more convenient on the 3 using Autopilot.

It’s faster and more convenient using the 3 but we wanted to try the train just for the experience. I’m wondering if the people who are boarding the car knows how to use the card key.

vmulla | July 10, 2019

@Richardbesner29,
Likely not. There's a team of folks who board the cars, so there's no telling the familiarity of the valets who will handle your car.

However, I did notice that some cars have a sticker on them - those cars are loaded/unloaded last/first with extra assistance. Basically cars that have wheelchairs. The valets are working with those customers for smoother experience. Perhaps you can request assistance so that you can talk to the valet who will drive your car?

vmulla | July 10, 2019

Oh, if you're going to try only one way trip on the autotrain - pick the return trip from your vacation. Returning from a vacation is not fun, even with Autopilot.

It’s for the return. I’ll follow your advice and try to talk to the valet. First time in a car wash, I had to explain everything but I was closed to the people. Thanks for your help.