Forums

Corded Mobile Connector vs. Gen 2 Mobile Connector

Corded Mobile Connector vs. Gen 2 Mobile Connector

I'm looking to get a new/second mobile connector to use as a semi-permanent EVSE for my Tesla (I rent, so can't install the Wall Connector, but do have a NEMA14-50 outlet available), and I'm confused by the pricing of the "Corded Mobile Connector" at $520 vs. the "Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle" at $300. The latter seems to be superior (has interchangeable cord ends), but is less than 60% of the price?

Am I missing something? Why would anyone buy the "Corded Mobile Connector"?

There's probably some durability advantage to having the fixed/permanent cord attached to the "Corded Mobile Connector", but does that outweigh the flexibility and lower cost of the "Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle"? Does the "Corded Mobile Connector" have something more included that's not obvious based on the information on the Tesla web store?

Rocky_H | October 4, 2018

It's not just a durability difference. It's a power level difference.

The mobile connector is actually a 2nd generation mobile connector, and is limited to 32A output. The corded mobile connector is based on the 1st generation mobile connector and has a maximum output of 40A.

tcfila | October 4, 2018

I've been thinking the exact same thing. What would the difference in miles/hour be? 5ish?

Rocky_H | October 4, 2018

@tcfila, It's going to depend on what vehicle you're talking about, because the bigger less efficient vehicles like the X will have a slower "miles per hour" charging rate than the 3. I have an S, and at 240V 40A, it's about 29 miles per hour. I just run a ratio to scale it to other amp levels:
32A/40A = X mph/29 mph
So that would be about 23 mph, or 6-ish mph difference for the S. More for the 3 and less for the X.

bp | October 5, 2018

It's easier to think in amount of battery charge added per hour.

A 14-50 adapter will charge up to 40A, which is about 9 KWhr per hour. For a 100 battery pack, it would take about 9 hours to go from 10% to 90% of charge. A Gen 1 UMC will also charge at 40A, using the 14-50 plug.

A Gen 2 UMC is limited to 32A, which is about 7 KWhr per hour. For a 100 battery pack, it would take about 11.5 hours to go from 10% to 90% charge.

Smaller battery packs (an S/X 75 or a 3 LR or SR) will take less time to charge.

We have an X 100D and S 100D in our garage. One is on an HPWC with 100A circuit and the other is using a 14-50 outlet with the connector (charging at 40A).

Bilbao | June 15, 2019

I purchased the corded-mobile-connector for my 5/1/2019 m3 for my permanent home charger.
It does power at 40amp continuous and up to 10KWhr per hour.

A bit pricey, but it allows me to leave my umc gen 2 in my car for road trips.

jv59 | June 22, 2019

Does it make sense to buy corded mobile connector for model 3? Is it going to charge faster then gen 2 mobile connector?

TeslaTap.com | June 22, 2019

@jv59 - The M3 includes a mobile connector for 32 amps. You can buy an optional 40 amp mobile connector with fixed NEMA 14-50. The SR charger is limited to 32 amps, so buying the 40 amp mobile connector doesn't add anything for that model. Personally, I don't think it's worth buying the 40 amp MC, but it does charge 25% faster on the MR/LR.

evan.callicoat | July 15, 2019

I found a link to the CMC manual, which is surprisingly difficult to find a link to, but since I actually received my CMC in the mail today I can confirm this manual's imagery/descriptions match the device itself, so figured I'd link it here:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Corded_Mobile_Connector_1...

wundercar | July 15, 2019

I bought the Gen2 mobile connector so I could keep my original mobile connector in the car and not have to unplug and pack it up every time I go on an overnight trip. I have an S75D and it does charge a bit slower at 32 amps, but it really makes no difference at all; I still get the charge I need overnight.
Be aware, though, that the Gen2 only comes with a 5-15 adapter, You will also have to purchase a separate 14-50 adapter for another $35.