Forums

Climate deniers lose bets against Scientists. Taking Candy from a baby.

Climate deniers lose bets against Scientists. Taking Candy from a baby.

TeslaTap.com | October 22, 2018

Unfortunately, we're all paying for deniers. Too bad we can't stick them with the bill if they are so convinced.

MitchP85D | October 22, 2018

OK, I have a challenge for you Tessie Tappy. For 6 years in a row, the Arctic sea ice minimum has closed higher than the record low minimum set in 2012, 3,387,000 km2. I predict that the annual Arctic sea ice minimum will close higher than 3,387,000 km2 during the next 5 years. You up for the challenge Tappy-boy? Or, are you going to run off with your tail in between your legs like the Antifa thug who berated the 911 widow in Portland, OR!

jimglas | October 22, 2018

don't feed the troll
he is not interested in facts

SCCRENDO | October 22, 2018

@Mike. He must have honest referees. Unfortunately if we did this with our weathermoron when presented with the facts that he lost his bet he would still deny it. @jimglas is correct. He is not interested in facts. He is looking to try score occasional brownie points and concluding that as a victory. I guess much like Trump. But I guess he will keep on trolling anyway. Even though nobody wants to play reindeer games with him

MitchP85D | October 23, 2018

NSIDC is the source of data. Very easy to verify!

jimglas | October 23, 2018

Derp

Mike83 | October 23, 2018

@SCCRENDO Exactly

Wussy liberals

Tesla-David | October 23, 2018

Thanks @Mike83, I agree with @Jimglas and @SCCRENDO regarding not feeding the obvious trolls.

SamO | October 23, 2018

I read this article a few days ago and laughed my ass off. This climate scientist has won so many bets and the cowards won't even take some of the other bets. Or want 100-1 odds. Tells you how strongly they believe their arguments.

Even the climate "denial" crew agree there is warming . . . they have been, are just and continue to be horribly wrong about magnitude.

And then dumbasses use this as ammunition in further denial. Armchair scientists who say:

"I'm not a scientist but my uncle went to MIT and through osmosis, I know that i'm super-smart and therefore globalist Soros-puppets are propping up 1000 Universities all over the world and 100s of thousands of monitoring stations that are measuring sea temperature rise. It is the most perfect conspiracy ever imagined by dirty Birkenstock-wearing hippies who have finally overwhelmed the fossil fuel industries billions of $ in disinformation spending."

The best short-term action to help the climate happens November 6.

OK, you global warming worshippers in this Tesla Forum believe the earth is heating up and melting the polar ice away to oblivion. I think it is a natural multi-decadal oscillation. We have a way to test it. I have challenged all of you. Any of you care to step up and challenge me? So far, bb0tin aka whatshisface is the only one with the guts to do so.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a36228/ballad-of-the-sad-climatolo...
How scientists cope. A good read but not optimistic.

https://qz.com/1069298/the-3-of-scientific-papers-that-deny-climate-chan...
CLIMATE DENIERS SCIENTISTS (the 3%) results ARE NOT REPRODUCIBLE. You might call it Fake science

SCCRENDO | October 23, 2018

Hey weathermoron. Did you read Mike”s link. It states exactly what we have been trying to tell you about the fake denier “science” that you love to quote.
https://qz.com/1069298/the-3-of-scientific-papers-that-deny-climate-chan...

SamO | October 24, 2018

Global warming is caused by burning fossil fuels.

Stop burning fossil fuels.

Put Exxon, Massey and Koch Bros out of business by buying solar panels, batteries and EVs.

Game over. Bets closed. Shitbags lose.

Tesla-David | October 24, 2018

Thanks @Mike83 for link about Jason Box, a climatologist I have been following for years now, who also spent 20 years studying ice retreat on Greenland. His statement from your link about methane releases in Arctic keep me up at night,, as methane is a huge issue that we need to pay attention to.

Mike83 | October 24, 2018

@Tesla-David. It seems like Jason Box moved to Denmark from the US. I see a brain drain in the US in this field as the GOP appoints fossil fuel sympathizers to government positions. How dumb can they be? I just read about the atmosphere of Venus which has an average T of 872 F. and some nitrogen but mostly CO2. I don't believe even thermophiles could survive there as they live at 252 F. but perhaps they have some weird organisms living below the surface. The reason I bring this up is that Venus may have been like earth billions of years ago. Was there a homo sapien like species that lived there billions of years of ago and destroyed their own climate?
I understand the worry with methane leakage as permafrost melts away. It seems like uneducated brats are running things and leading us to destruction. It is interesting that the government is run by very old men who don't have much of a lifespan left and it seems they don't care at all.
Yet there is hope the younger people will wise up and put some logic in government. At least States, cities and countries in the world are not so blinded by political hogwash.
Tesla has found a practical way to maintain living standards and at the same time reduce many people's carbon footprint. We can thank our lucky stars for them.

@Mike83, the reason Jason Box moved to Denmark is because he is afraid that when the major Climate Change related impacts/displacements happen, which we are already seeing elsewhere, the gun culture in this country will make the U.S. less safe than Denmark. Sad to see him move based on his fear of the future coming. Methane is a much more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, and most governmental policy makers ignore its impacts according to the IPCC in linked article below. Methane scares me so much because it has the potential to accelerate the warming of our planet much faster than carbon dioxide, especially if we see a massive release from the arctic, which Jason Box alludes to in your link above.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-bad-of-a-greenhouse-gas-i...

phpf | October 24, 2018

xxxXxxx

This clip of Dr. Jason Box on Real Time with Bill Maher is worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKVZNLx45WY

Mike83 | October 24, 2018

Thanks @Tesla-David. Very enlightening. It covers some points never discussed in the news. Very troubling future.

Mike83 | July 23, 2019

I guess the record Temps have been foreseen and IGNORED AGAIN.

Tesla-David | July 23, 2019

Thanks for resurrecting this link. Nothing much has changed as we march to disaster. Methane releases in Arctic continue to accelerate.

Mike83 | July 23, 2019

Utah is going after people associated with fires yet ignore Climate Crisis caused by burning fossil fuels.

https://kutv.com/news/get-gephardt/when-wildfires-rage-in-utah-could-you...

NKYTA | July 23, 2019

Grow up.

deonteywailder | July 23, 2019

Thanks for sharing

RedShift | July 23, 2019

Why don’t you just make a bet with the subject of this thread and leave us be? :-D

It’s just so tiring to the same old junk from you all the time.

RedShift | July 23, 2019

The above post was for Mitch. His posts have a way of vanishing away. ;-)

RedShift | July 23, 2019

If I meet you, ever, I will show you how wrong you are in your opinion of this ‘wuss’.

You don’t have much time left on this earth, you old fart. Grow up. It’s embarrassing how you conservatives behave.

andy.connor.e | July 24, 2019

I think this guy might be more than just conservative.

RedShift | July 24, 2019

On mental level I’ll be the Steph Curry to your junior league basketball. I have no doubt, given the extensive 5+ years of chatting with you here. :-D

Forget it old man. You are just fighting with the wind. There is no point. Grow up, give it up, live your life peacefully.

I was kidding when I said I should meet you and set you straight. See, here whenever I’ve tried to reason with you last 5 years, it’s always been futile. I know not to try the same thing over and over, coz, it’s the definition of insanity.

Do you know that, Mitch? :-)

Mike83 | July 24, 2019

Losing Reflective Sea Ice in the Arctic will advance Global Warming by 25 YEARS.

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/research-highlight-loss-arctics-reflective...

Techy James | July 24, 2019

@MitchP85D Please provide facts supporting your claim that Ice is on the increase. Looking at site: https://sites.uci.edu/zlabe/arctic-sea-ice-volumethickness/ we can see that comparing today to the average of Ice mass from 1981 to 2010 where we have reliable data, the current is lower 2010, and current today is about even of your reference of 2012.
Also your referencing Arctic Ice which will vary year over year. What is a better measure would be a global average temp. How is that compared to 100 years ago. Measuring Ice on one polar cap will show 1 side of planet, but if the opposite is seeing a much more drastic change could indicate a larger shift as a planet as a whole.

jimglas | July 25, 2019

your "response" was disinformation

jimglas | July 25, 2019

your "response" was disinformation

Mike83 | July 25, 2019

Total BS from a weather announcer who can't understand numbers or science.

rhj | July 25, 2019

Great car, maybe continue posting in the weather channel

leeramer | July 27, 2019

I dedicate Iceland's OK memorial to mitchp85d for helping it come to pass. Bravo mitch!!!

leeramer | July 27, 2019

Yawn, the weather moron thinks by viewing a satellite video of snow and ice it means the ice caps are not melting. No wonder he is still a denier. If this guy is in fact a real weather man I pity the poor fools that hire him.

leeramer | July 27, 2019

weathermoron link does at least help show that the sea ice is being reduced due to increase in global temperatures due to manmade pollution.

http://www.arctic.io/#home

dmm1240 | July 27, 2019

The scientific consensus that humans are causing global warming is likely to have passed 99%, according to the lead author of the most authoritative study on the subject, and could rise further after separate research that clears up some of the remaining doubts.

Three studies published in Nature and Nature Geoscience use extensive historical data to show there has never been a period in the last 2,000 years when temperature changes have been as fast and extensive as in recent decades.

It had previously been thought that similarly dramatic peaks and troughs might have occurred in the past, including in periods dubbed the Little Ice Age and the Medieval Climate Anomaly. But the three studies use reconstructions based on 700 proxy records of temperature change, such as trees, ice and sediment, from all continents that indicate none of these shifts took place in more than half the globe at any one time.

The Little Ice Age, for example, reached its extreme point in the 15th century in the Pacific Ocean, the 17th century in Europe, and the 19th century elsewhere, says one of the studies. This localization is markedly different from the trend since the late 20th century when records are being broken year after year over almost the entire globe, including this summer’s European heat wave.
Major temperature shifts in the distant past are also likely to have been primarily caused by volcanic eruptions, according to another of the studies, which helps to explain the strong global fluctuations in the first half of the 18th century as the world started to move from a volcanically cooled era to a climate warmed by human emissions. This has become particularly pronounced since the late 20th century, when temperature rises over two decades or longer have been the most rapid in the past two millennia, notes the third.
The authors say this highlights how unusual warming has become in recent years as a result of industrial emissions.
“There is no doubt left — as has been shown extensively in many other studies addressing many different aspects of the climate system using different methods and data sets,” said Stefan Brönnimann, from the University of Bern and the Pages 2K consortium of climate scientists.
Commenting on the study, other scientists said it was an important breakthrough in the “fingerprinting” task of proving how human responsibility has changed the climate in ways not seen in the past.
“This paper should finally stop climate change deniers claiming that the recent observed coherent global warming is part of a natural climate cycle. This paper shows the truly stark difference between regional and localized changes in climate of the past and the truly global effect of anthropogenic greenhouse emissions,” said Mark Maslin, professor of climatology at University College London.

Previous studies have shown near unanimity among climate scientists that human factors — car exhausts, factory chimneys, forest clearance, and other sources of greenhouse gases — are responsible for the exceptional level of global warming.

A 2013 study in Environmental Research Letters found 97 percent of climate scientists agreed with this link in 12,000 academic papers that contained the words “global warming” or “global climate change” from 1991 to 2011. Last week, that paper hit 1 million downloads, making it the most accessed paper ever among the 80-plus journals published by the Institute of Physics, according to the authors.
The pushback has been political rather than scientific. In the U.S., the rightwing think tank the Competitive Enterprise Institute is reportedly putting pressure on NASA to remove a reference to the 97 percent study from its webpage. The CEI has received event funding from the American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers and Charles Koch Institute, which have much to lose from a transition to a low-carbon economy.
But among academics who study the climate, the convergence of opinion is probably strengthening, according to John Cook, the lead author of the original consensus paper and a follow-up study on the “consensus about consensus” that looked at a range of similar estimates by other academics.
He said that at the end of his 20-year study period there was more agreement than at the beginning: “There was 99 percent scientific consensus in 2011 that humans are causing global warming.” With ever stronger research since then and increasing heat waves and extreme weather, Cook believes this is likely to have risen further and is now working on an update.
“As expertise in climate science increases, so too does agreement with human-caused global warming,” Cook wrote on the Skeptical Science blog. “The good news is public understanding of the scientific consensus is increasing. The bad news is there is still a lot of work to do yet as climate deniers continue to persistently attack the scientific consensus.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jul/24/scientific-consensus-on-...

teslu3 | July 28, 2019

The record temps in Western Europe have abated. Nothing to see here, increasing rate of high records is now normal, move along. Oh, those high temps are now streaming over Greenland.
https://earth.nullschool.
net/#current/wind/isobaric/250hPa/orthographic=-106.33,83.68,568
They enter in the southeast then exit north toward the pole. Perhaps Greenland's ice will cool that massive amount of heat so that the new ice gap on Greenland's north coast wont be affected?

Tesla2018 | July 28, 2019

My brother said the acorns are falling off the trees in his yard already and the squirrels are gathering them up. Whenever it happens this early, he said they have a really bad winter with lots of snow and record lows.

But then people believe that a groundhog can predict if fall will be early or late so who knows what to believe.

I moved to Fl so all I know is that it will be between somewhere 60 and 90 every day with no chance of snow.

SCCRENDO | July 28, 2019

@teslu3. Do you have a point to make and if so what is it

leeramer | July 28, 2019

Sigh, weathermoron still just doesn't get it. I guess he doesn't live in an area that's affected yet. lucky him.

teslu3 | July 29, 2019

Mitch linked to a graphic of the Arctic region that gives little insight to its condition. This year's ice extent is nearly matching the record year 2012. This is indeed unusual: https://skepticalscience.
com/past-Arctic-sea-ice-extent.htm
The jet stream brings considerable warmth over Greenland into the arctic this week, continuing the Arctic melt.
https://www.wunderground.
com/cat6/Heat-Wave-Heads-North-Massive-Week-Melting-Likely-Arctic
Climate deniers may lose some trivial bets with scientists but they win big as they have convinced so many to ignore the huge costs now and far more to come.

Mike83 | July 29, 2019
SCCRENDO | July 29, 2019

@leeramer. He lives in Houston and his house got flooded. But like all deniers he doesn’t get the connection. He was only too happy that he had taxpayer funded FEMA flood insurance.

Mike83 | August 6, 2019

NEW YORK was able to ban fracking using facts. Other States should do the same.

https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/08/05/report-fracking-threatening-public...

Pages