Forums

What Polymer Sealant or Ceramic Coating do you love? How long do they usually last?

What Polymer Sealant or Ceramic Coating do you love? How long do they usually last?

I'm looking for some recommendations on polymer sealants or the like for my June 2016 MS... open for new suggestions!

Anthony J. Parisio | October 31, 2018

I wrote a lot about this subject. If your car is garage kept then ceramic coatings are the way to go! Opti-Coat, Cquartz and Majestic are among the best.

However, if your car sit outside and pray to bird droppings (as mine is) Polymers are the way to go. This is because no wax, polymer or Ceramic coating can completely resist bird droppings. Wax and polymer finishes are easier and faster to reapply. This is especially true after removal of the dropping mark has been done. My personal favorite is Ice by Turtle Wax. However Maguire's Polymers are a VERY close second. All of this suggestions will not last longer than a year unless the cars are garage kept.

I use to do professional car detailing. I keep my Model S in car show condition. This past Summer I have had it in 12 car shows. It have gotten 8 trophies. I might know something about keeping a car finish in perfect condition.

galo420 | October 31, 2018

@Anthony...I actually want to use a ceramic coating that I can apply myself. 2 years ago I applied Enviroshield Ceramic Coating System that's under Duragloss' umbrella of products. I liked how easy it was to apply and it's advertised to last around 2 years. There's a quick detailer spray to use after car washes to keep the shine going. It's hard to say if it lasted 2 years but it was pretty close since my car is garaged..I haven't done any research since and was looking for anything new that's recommended... thanks James

Anthony J. Parisio | October 31, 2018

galo420,
I have not tried that brand but it does sound like many products I have read about. I bet it will last the full two years if the car is garage kept. The real secret to sealer longevity is keep the car out of the weather, away from birds, use PH neutral washes the company suggest to not hurt their product and regular use of the spray "restorers" the company suggest. Also Opti-Coat and Cquartz both car be done by you. However they say what they sell to pros last longer.

galo420 | October 31, 2018

Anthony...I just went to Majestic's website and watched their video and it looks very similar to the coating I used...I guess they all are pretty similar in their claims but Majestic "prosumer" do it yourself sez around 5 year durability so I'll look into that one... thank you for the recommendations...

RandallKeith | October 31, 2018

Maguires fast finish. They claim it lasts a year. Can do the whole car in less than 10 minutes. You can check it out on YouTube. So fast and easy I wouldn’t mind doing it every time I wash.

Anthony J. Parisio | November 1, 2018

RandallKeith,
That is a perfect example of why I choose modern polymer over ceramics. For the most part they are quick, easy, long lasting and easy to buff off in case of bird damage. Ceramics are more complex and no more durable than similarly cared for polymers.

galo420 | November 1, 2018

@Randall & Anthony....Ok.. which type gives a more deeper and richer shine Ceramics or Polymers?... some even recommend to put a good quality wax on top of Ceramics to give you a deep thick shine...

Anthony J. Parisio | November 1, 2018

galo420,
There is almost no difference between really good Wax, Polymers or Ceramics as far as depth of shine. DO NOT put wax on Ceramics! The "refresh" sprays are much better at maintaining Ceramics than any wax could be. While you should not, wax and polymers products can sort of be used interchangeably with out any grief. I would not mix Wax,and Polymer products with Ceramics. Their chemistry are not compatible. The wax might inhibit the life of the Ceramics.

galo420 | November 1, 2018

Anthony... thank you for that advice and I will stay away from mixing wax and ceramics... I'll do a little more reading to decide whether I'm gonna use a ceramic coating or wax.. I'll even consider buying an orbital buffer and have some fun. Will practice on my 2010 Acura

Anthony J. Parisio | November 2, 2018

galo420,
I just got a Griot's DA buffer. I love it! I researched DA's for six month. For my needs it was bang for buck.

galo420 | November 2, 2018

@Anthony... thanks and good to know... I'm researching today

RanjitC | November 2, 2018

@Anthony very clear information Thanks.

Anthony J. Parisio | November 3, 2018

RanjitC,
;-)