Forums

Telsa App Bug? | Climate Control running after leaving vehicle

Telsa App Bug? | Climate Control running after leaving vehicle

I've experienced and replicated an issue related to the Tesla App and Climate Control that I wanted to share with my fellow Tesla owners (I emailed Tesla Support about it first).

Short summary of Issue: Climate control engages again after leaving and locking vehicle if I open the Tesla App again on my phone.

More detailed summary: It's cold out and I utilize the Tesla app function of remotely enabling Climate Control and setting my preferred temperature. When I get to my vehicle, my phone is my key, the door opens as usual (with phone in pocket), I start my drive as usual, get to destination, exit vehicle and walk away. Car locks automatically as usual (mirrors fold in and car honks briefly to confirm). Later, when using my phone, if I open my Tesla app again, I notice the Climate Control is still enabled and I have confirmed that it (at least in that moment) is enabled again in the car. First time this happened, I didn't notice it was still enabled and car sat overnight with Climate Control running (using up about 30-40 miles of range in 12 hours). Next time it happened, I happened to notice it and had to "Turn Off" climate control in the app even after "parking and locking" the vehicle. I wonder if anyone has experienced this and if it might explain some overnight range loss for those that don't realize that Climate Control continues to run in their car.

To replicate this behavior:

Step 1: Remotely use the Tesla app's "Climate" control feature and Turn-On climate control for the car (setting the desired temperature).

Step 2: Drive the car as usual.

Step 3: Depart and walk away from car. (Car auto-locks as usual)

Step 4: Open Tesla app again. You will notice that Climate Control is STILL enabled and Turns-On climate control remotely in the vehicle again. Requires you to Turn-Off on the app.

This behavior caused my climate control to run overnight while car was parked (and unplugged from a charger) causing vehicle to lose 30-40 miles of range in about 12 hours.

In my opinion, the expected behavior would be:

1. Remotely use app to Turn-On climate control.
2. Enter and drive vehicle (climate control option in app should now switch to OFF/disable)
3. Exit vehicle and walk away to lock.
4. If you open app again later, climate control is defaulted to OFF requiring you to turn back on IF desired.

I'm using the Tesla App on an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 12.1 and latest version of Tesla App.

Any thoughts? Perhaps I'm mistaken and the way it works is "obvious" (that you have to remember to turn off climate control on your app even after your drive is complete)?

Thank you.

Bighorn | November 23, 2018

It shouldn’t happen, but there is probably a 4 hour limit.

BrooklynTesla | November 23, 2018

@Bighorn Thank you. I'm wondering about that 4 hour limit. If true, that would at least minimize the unintentional energy expenditure. But I did notice that when I entered the vehicle the next day (12 hours later) it was "warm" inside so it must have been running over the entire evening (car was parked outside).

markdavidmorris | March 18, 2019

Same issue here on my model 3 standard plus 2019.5.15 firmware. Shouldn’t climate control auto-disable on leaving the car (unless in dog mode)?

82bert | March 18, 2019

I’ve noticed this issue when I have sentry mode on. Will continue to monitor.