Forums

Rear window cracked

Rear window cracked

Just got back new rear window installed by Tesla. Cracked suddenly showed up last week from edge of rear window in an inverted Y with the y pointed down to the trunk lid. I have seen posts on another Tesla club page that this is not rare. Anyone else having cracks on rear window?

Another problem also showed up. A smear or fogged area on front driver side. Cannot clean it off from either side of window. Anybody having similar experience with this issue?

Mzab | January 9, 2019

No problems with my windows, but both rear tail lights and fog light lenses fog up after washing the car or driving through rain.

nttesla | January 9, 2019

The glass cranking is a known issue. They have changed the taillights a few times already because of this issue. Call Tesla they will replace them. I had mine replaced because moisture inside them.

kcheng | January 9, 2019

Picture? Anyhow, the smear or fogged area could be where they put a sticker, and it's glue residue, or perhaps, where the robot suction cups grab the glass, leaving behind a residual smear that shows up under certain conditions.

lbowroom | January 9, 2019

Or the center layer is delaminating

nick-r | January 9, 2019

My wife picked up her Model 3 about two weeks ago and it had about a 5" crack in the rear glass at the time of delivery. We accepted delivery and they are working on getting it replaced. Though it doesn't seem like a safety issue yet, the crack has been steadily, but slowly growing. it's about 8" long now.

From what I understand, the rear glass is actually two glass pieces sandwiched together. It seems that only one of the two layers is cracked.

bdmac97 | January 9, 2019

Also had a crack in my rear glass on delivery. About 4" long to start and located at the bottom of the window near where it meets the trunk lid area. Still waiting to get that replaced. Super frustrating and has also prevented me from getting the rear window tinted.

JeSsE_0 | April 10, 2019

I just noticed a crack on the rear windshield of my Tesla 3 yesterday... near the rear lower left area where it starts to curve. Definitely on the inner glass and about 4 inches long. No obvious signs of force or chip on the exterior... I scheduled a service visit, in addition to a minor paint issue I'm having. There are weird circular spots on the front and frunk paint surface that was recently addressed during a courtesy detail work and has resurfaced.

mcm_94539 | April 10, 2019

My rear window cracked from an external hit of something 1-2mm size on top (maybe road debris), now it 's 5 inches crack and growing, I did not know till this big since nobody look at that part of glass often.

I had a few cars before, but never any external hit to windshield from road debris can cause a crack so fast. I always repair ASAP before crack can grow.

I like everything of my M3, but this rear glass is too weak. Wasting my time and deductible.

Carl Thompson | April 10, 2019

@mcm_94539

Cracks grow fast. I had a very small less than half inch star chip from a rock in my BMW i3 and 6 hours later (overnight) it had grown to 7-8 inches long and the whole windshield needed to be replaced.

nminars | April 10, 2019

I had a crack in the rear window from the lower trunk window edge up 12 inches. First service tech said I would have to pay $650 to replace it. I went back 3 days later to complain and second service rep said it was defective glass and replaced the window for no charge! This was to my MR model 3 in early January 2019.
My latest complaint is the low miles range before recharging. I charge it to limit(260) and in normal suburban driving I am getting 150-175 miles. That is down to 20 miles range left! I had it back to Testla service and all testing of battery and system was normal. What gives? I should get at least 200mile range on a mid-range battery.

crmedved | April 10, 2019

@nminars Just a warning... don't charge your M3 to 100% daily. You'll degrade your battery at a much faster rate. Try to keep it 90% or less. I think it has to fall lower than 70% in the 8 years for a warranty replacement... you might get stuck at like 75% :P

-------------------------------

I had the square marks on my front windshield with my first M3. I didn't get around to trying to make them go away before trading it in. I feel like it is probably some kind of residue that needs specific cleaners to get rid of... can you use goo gone on glass? :D

My current M3 doesn't have the squares, but my rear glass did crack last week. Very tiny, but the SC ordered me a new piece and will be replacing it. If you're curious, https://imgur.com/a/Y6aHOKQ

The crack is smooth on both sides of the glass, so it's something with the internal layers -shrug-

crmedved | April 10, 2019

@nminars I forgot to answer your question. AC uses a small amount of battery and afaik is included in the estimated range. The heat is NOT included in the estimated range and will significantly reduce your range. I experience 25-30% range loss with the heat on, 50% if it is actively snowing (M3 will attempt to defrost windshield constantly). Also, if you span the charge out across multiple days, you lose 1-2 miles per day due to maintenance activities, also known as "phantom drain". Obviously sentry mode & cabin overheat significantly increase the drain.

trobbins | April 16, 2019

I got in the car a couple of weeks ago and the rear glass was cracked. From one end to the other. The soonest appointment was a month out, so I am waiting. Meanwhile, I dropped into a service center to have them take a quick look. A technician said it might be a teeny (like I don't see it) impact that caused it. If so, it's not covered under warranty. My response is that 1) there was no impact or 2) if there was, a metal roof would not have suffered damage...so to me it's a design flaw that the glass can't hold up even as well as a conventional roof.

CASEMAN | April 16, 2019

Any idea the cost to replace the back window?

I have to make a confession - I chipped the bottom part of my back window a little bit when I was installing the new trunk struts and springs. It's not noticeable but the guy at the glass shop said it will most likely lead to a big crack with our hot summer in Fresno. I'm sure it'll be done through insurance but am curious if anyone has been quoted the price.

mos6507 | April 16, 2019

And so #crackgate continues, unabated, into 2019.

ODWms | April 16, 2019

I thought someone here said it was in the 1600-1800 dollar range.

CASEMAN | April 16, 2019

@ODWms - Thank you. Hadn't heard a price and haven't been bothered enough to call service and ask. I think my insurance has no deductible for glass.

crmedved | April 16, 2019

@CASEMAN Man, that 0 deductible glass repair sounds nice. I'm pretty sure I have to pay my awesome $500 comprehensive deductible if my glass gets messed up x_x

I was thinking of installing trunk struts with the springs tomorrow. How'd you end up chipping it?

I'm assuming it is in a spot where it can't be repaired or something?

CASEMAN | April 16, 2019

@crmedved - I since looked at my policy and think I too have a $500 deductible.

I did the install by myself and I think the spring on the right side nicked the glass when I was popping the left side into place. I didn't do anything sudden and didn't even hear anything. I was shocked to see the little chip at the edge of the glass. Glass company said there's no repairing the frayed edge. I would do the trunk struts again but would get a second set of hands to assist. If you haven't already, I'd recommend doing the frunk also.

ODWms | April 17, 2019

I do both. The best, most convenience centric mods by far.

Philippe78 | April 25, 2019

I took my M3 into service today with a V shaped crack that showed up in the bottom left of the back window. The service person tried to tell me the tint film on the window may have caused the heating element to break, causing the glass to break. He said if they determined it was the tint (or tint job) then Tesla would not cover it and it would cost $700 to replace it. So @CASEMAN, looks like the answer to your question is $700. I've read of a ton of people without tint jobs having the same problem, so I hope they cover this for me.

Philippe78 | April 25, 2019

UPDATE: Tesla covered the damage to the window and replaced it for free. They do not cover the re-tinting (obviously)

CASEMAN | April 25, 2019

@Philippe78 - That's great news! I'm afraid Tesla won't cover stupid (me). Lol
$700 is much better than I would have thought. Thanks for the info.

marym23 | April 26, 2019

As I was washing my car today, I noticed a crack on the inner layer of my driver rear window down at the bottom by the truck. It sounds exactly like everyone else that’s posted. It’s about 5-6” long right now. I made an appointment to my local SC to have it replaced. I still have a tail light that leaks when I wash my car. They wanted a picture of it last time I took my car in and it didn’t leak the last time I washed my car but of course, after service, the next time I washed it, the light leaked.

sn.ncsnc | April 27, 2019

I have had my Model 3 for two weeks and it exceeds my expectations every day. However a 5 inch crack has appeared in the rear window pane above the trunk lid . I have complained and the response was bring it in , then within minutes the Tesla Service center in Raleigh NC sent me an estimate of $720 to replace it . ????? The sales rep suggested it got hit. I said if something ht that glass that hard to crack it , wouldn't the enabled Sentry Mode have gone off. I don't drive backwards on the highway, how does a back window pane get hit by something. If this is their response to a known problem , I certainly won't be promoting this car . There seems to be no human you can really complain to.

CASEMAN | April 27, 2019

@sn.ncsnc - sorry to hear that. I would call service and talk to a rep - they do have live people to talk to. I am certain they will take care of you. Tesla service has been awesome for me and I'm sure they will be for you as well.

Magic 8 Ball | April 27, 2019

@sn.ncsnc

Not all cracks are the same.
Sometimes things come out of the sky and cracks the glass (I.E. kids throw rocks).
Since it is possible your glass cracked because of no fault of TESLA you are failing to give TESLA benefit of doubt.

Sorry you won't be promoting the car you are a dick.

marym23 | April 27, 2019

As I’m taking my car in next week for the crack in my rear window, I would hope that Tesla stands behind the warranty and replaces the window without cost to me. The crack is within the layers and NOT on the outside layer. After reading through many forums, I see that this seems to be an issue. It’s where they seem to be at bottom by the truck. I got my car at end of November 2018 and have a few little issues and so far, Tesla has taken care of the problems. Fingers crossed.

stopnair | April 27, 2019

All, I had a 1 inch crack in rear glass right side closer to the trunk lid. It was an internal crack which means its a stress crack ..not a impact crack as you cannot feel it on surface. Took it to Burbank CA SC on 4.25 , they confirmed stress crack, got replacement on 4.26 and fixed it the same night.. and I got back the car in morning fixed.

So before you go to see SC make sure you use the right words.. Use STRESS crack and make sure the rep cannot feel the crack in the surface.

rob | April 27, 2019

@OP "...A smear or fogged area on front driver side. Cannot clean it off from either side of window. Anybody having similar experience with this issue?"

I have that but in my case it looks like a sticker was removed and left residue on the glass. Only show up on humid mornings. I just need to use something stronger than windex.

Lonestar10_1999 | April 27, 2019

@rob- try an organic solvent like acetone. Acetone is sold commonly as nail polish remover.

marym23 | April 30, 2019

Update on my rear window crack. I went into the SC today to have them disconnect my rear window defroster as that will tend to make the crack get worse. The glass is backordered approximately 1 week. The tech said that the cause of the cracks on the inner glass at bottom of rear window is due to where all the defroster lines are soldered together and the old glass vendor wasn’t fitting over it properly. Once they changed vendors, the issue has been resolved. So my car which was manufactured in November 2018 with a S/N of 155xxx is still within the batch of the old glass supplier. They are replacing the entire thing with no issues. Hope this helps everyone who is experiencing this issue and is a bit nervous. Tesla is fixing the issue without any hassle.

Suebodtke | May 24, 2019

I figured out what is causing the rear window crack. The trunk gutter allows debris to accumulate. One small hard object in the gutter will get crushed when you close the trunk,thereby putting pressure on the edge of the glass and cracking it. In our case it was a tiny rock tossed into the gutter from high winds. I meant to clean them out but didn't get around to it until I noticed the broken glass. If you keep the gutter cleared of debris, closing the trunk carefully, should not happen again. It is a design flaw, and ours was replaced for free.BUT, they told us to be careful in the future. Interestingly, the Tesla 3 in front of me in line had the same issue.

legna_fo_htaed | May 24, 2019

I had a crack develop over May 16-18 while sitting outside in a parking lot doing nothing. Hoping this is a warranty covered issue, but for a car with a 04/19 build date I sure hope they would have resolved this ongoing issue by now.

mister.yusuf | May 24, 2019

@Suebodtke. I literally just had to get my back glass replaced because a crack appeared that looked like impact right on the edge, and the paint was fine. I didn't even think to consider the design flaw, and ended up paying to have the rear window replaced. I will definitely be calling Tesla about this to see if I can get reimbursed. I had no idea how the crack started and the cause being the gutter allowing debris in sounds like the most likely reason.

engineer_ggg-rcc | June 25, 2019

Last night I backed into my garage and charged my 2019 Model 3. Everything was great, until this morning, when I noticed a long crack in my rear window, going up from from the left corner of the rear-deck stop light, across to the left edge of the glass. It was not there last night. How does something like that happen spontaneously? There was no impact to cause this--it just appeared overnight. I cannot feel any displaced glass on the outer surface of the visible crack, which is about 18 inches long and slits off vertically about the middle and goes down toward the trunk on the driver's side of the glass. Any suggestions?

mknewman | June 25, 2019

My rear window was not covered by Tesla and I'm having trouble getting State Farm to cover it as well. $787.

Magic 8 Ball | June 25, 2019

@engineer

Did you have the glass tinted or has anyone worked on or around the car (a detailer etc.)?

There could have been a tiny nick somewhere and just heating up and cooling down could cause enough strain to cause a crack.

Make an appointment to get it fixed.

legna_fo_htaed | June 25, 2019

Sure seems like this is happening quite a bit. That glass still pretty bad quality there Tesla??

john | June 25, 2019

I had mine crack like this within 2 weeks of picking it up. Tesla quickly replaced with no issues only for me to see a small chip in the same spot on the new glass. Just surprised how bad the read glass is.

Magic 8 Ball | June 25, 2019

@john please post a pic of the chip and identify location of chip. If this is a systemic issue, that others are also experiencing, we can't figure it out unless we see pictures.

john | June 25, 2019

Here is a link showing the prior crack which was replaced and the replacement glass with a chip on the edge almost exactly in the same place.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o8NJTDFAYHGj5LHR6

-TheJohn- | June 25, 2019

Thanks for the pics fellow John!

That sucks. Hard to argue that it couldn't be something doing it repeatedly. Hard to prove that it is as well dang it.

lbowroom | June 25, 2019

Weird. There are least 50 model 3's where I work. I haven't seen a cracked window yet. Tons of curbed wheels, but no cracked glass.

engineer_ggg-rcc | June 26, 2019

In response to a question from Magic 8 Ball | June 25, 2019--No, I don't trust anyone to even wash the car. I don't want is scratched....no detailer or other work was done--no tinting...just cracked glass. Thanks to those who responded.

Magic 8 Ball | June 26, 2019

Thanks for the pic. Ours was delivered with tiny chip on glass edge but on opposite side near bottom. I documented it with them and so far ours has not developed into a crack. Your chip looks different in that it looks like a crack was already starting at the location.