Forums

Does anyone actually use the Tesla web browser?

Does anyone actually use the Tesla web browser?

Does anyone actually use the Tesla web browser? It's so limited and the LTE connection often is ridiculously slow. It takes less time to just use my phone for nearly everything.

The most recent example: CATCHPAs. There's a mapping website I want to use. It requires a subscription. The login uses CAPTCHAs. Tesla browser doesn't support CAPTCHAs, thus I can't use the website.

Boonedocks | January 29, 2019

Once.... to see if it was actually useable after the V9 update and it being touted as actually useable....needless to say only been used once...

gleep6991 | January 29, 2019

I used it with V8, but with V9 it frequently won't work at all until you reboot, then could die again at anytime

PBEndo | January 29, 2019

There's a browser?

avesraggiana | January 29, 2019

I use it for Teslawaze, when I can get it to work.

lilbean | January 29, 2019

It's only useful to get your passengers to say, "Wow, your car has internet?"

barrykmd | January 29, 2019

^^^ yup

no

Grond | January 29, 2019

Useless to m now, never functions. Used to before updates. Years ago I would run it in the bottom window with a picture of Hal filling the screen.

I actually used the browser once for something very useful.
Short on time, I sneaked out the back door of my office to run to the store between patients. I planned to call my front desk to tell them I would be back in a few minutes but I forgot to bring my cell phone. I used the browser to log into AOL's web-based instant messenger and used it to successfully send a text to my office manager's phone.
Though for this case it was more about convenience, this could be done in an emergency.

lilbean | January 29, 2019

I though aol discontinued messenger.

Boonedocks | January 29, 2019

What's AOL. I am 53 and I believe my parents may have used it for a minute when they had their first 300baud modem.

I think they have, but I assume other IM platforms will work

Mike83 | January 29, 2019

I use it while charging to check email and see stocks. Use double security with google. Functionality depends on cellular connection which can be spotty. Also the Tesla forums works. Don't expect high speed. DUh.

barrykmd | January 29, 2019

Short on time, I sneaked out the back door of my office to run to the store between patients.

Lost your co[y of Root Canal for Dummies?

@barry
I don't discriminate on intelligence - the root canals I do for dummies are the same as the root canals for a level 3 genius, a FlorIdiot or a retired ophthalmologist.

MySin_AZ | January 29, 2019

I have a '14, so its G3 . and its kind of slow when it does work....

Mike83 | January 29, 2019

We have lite 4G in our M3 and MS
It seems the M3 is faster but not measured

stevenmaifert | January 29, 2019

I use it for Teslawaze also. Even after the V9 update, it still works.

b8schris | January 29, 2019

to check tsla stock

Bighorn | January 29, 2019

To check prevailing winds

Silver2K | January 29, 2019

It's been completely useless since v9 update.

txakoli | January 29, 2019

I use it for Teslawinds on long trips. I don't much use it beyond that.

Is the post v9 update browser performance related to MCU version?

callisto | January 29, 2019

I used to use mine for Houston TranStar traffic all the time but them it just froze up and has been entirely non functional for months. I have done at least a dozen resets of the system and still a TOTALLY non functional browser. Very frustrating.

RedShift | January 29, 2019

Check TSLA stock once in a while. Like once in 2 months.

F3 | January 29, 2019

As some others, I use Teslawaze when the browser works.

sentabo | January 29, 2019

I tried it the day I bought the car and haven't used it since. I forget there is a browser until I see a post like this.

NKYTA | January 29, 2019

Winds on road trips, aka BH.

freeewilly | January 29, 2019

The browser was very slow, but it worked before the upgrade. Since the upgrade, it's completely unresponsive.
I rebooted the system many times for other reasons in the past few months, browser never work once for me, just a blank screen with address bar.

Mi75d | January 29, 2019

The web browser is pretty bad. If you want it to work at all, you should perform a reset every day. Also, don't bother with graphics-heavy pages or pages with complicated Javascript.

Personally, I think that one of the primary reasons for the poor web browser is that Tesla simply can't provide you with decent cell data service for free and give you a really serviceable web browser. If this is true, they should just ask for more money, like an annual fee for better data download.

SO | January 30, 2019

No. I just use my phone.

booshtukka | January 30, 2019

No. It's useless. The most obvious use would be to watch videos when charging! But that's disabled.

Tesla should dump the browser from the codebase and free up some space in the UI.

Mike83 | January 30, 2019

I just used it to get my email and text messages. No problem here.

Aerodyne | January 30, 2019

Good idea...I bookmark some low bandwidth sites like news and weather..

mdmgso | January 30, 2019

We have two Model Ss, and neither of us have ever used the Tesla browser.

rm760 | January 30, 2019

I use it all the time for quick searches, restaurant location and hours

Boonedocks | January 30, 2019

“I use it all the time for quick searches, restaurant location and hours”

Wow. I tried that once and my wife used her phone. By the time I had a result from my Tesla browser she was already eating her appetizer at the restaurant!! :) JK

Mike83 | January 30, 2019

Weather also works. 4G is ok

gridley1950 | January 30, 2019

Just tried mine because it pretty much never works...AND IT WORKED! Got Waze up and running for the first time! Then realized it was because it is parked in the garage and has a good wifi signal. :(

avesraggiana | January 30, 2019

Would buying a wifi hotspot from AT&T and having the MCU connect to that wifi signal help?

bill | January 30, 2019

Will it use WIFI if you are moving?

Bighorn | January 30, 2019

@bill
Yes, I’ve had to hotspot maps and music in Canada where early US cars don’t have connectivity.

jfemd.va.us | January 30, 2019

MCU version doesn’t seem to matter. Mine had to be replaced (wouldn’t install updates) and the browser function was no better. This happened after v9.0 had already been released. Maybe that was a sign to stop installing updates.....

MilesMD88 | January 30, 2019

4 yrs, No.

SoCal Buzz | January 30, 2019

Teslawaze is great, but reboot is required just about every time before using.

dougk71 | January 31, 2019

Some may not be aware that there is no direct connection to the Internet from a Tesla car The car talks to Tesla's VPN which can probably does keep statistics and even filters the access available. There are good reasons Tesla does this like denying data hogs unlimited access and to remove boorish and salacious content.
Above all it is to secure a car that could if hacked drive you right over a cliff.
Some days the browser works for me other days it doesn't especially if you use Google

PeteB Lake Oswego | February 2, 2019

The browser is absolutely useless, IMO, unfortunately. I tried installing EVE for Tesla, and it's so painfully slow, even when on my 180 mbps wifi.
I wish I could just uninstall it and save on memory & resources

Wprather | February 4, 2019

Before V9 I could use it somewhat. NOW, it's completely 100% useless. I type a letter, it shows up 3 mins later. Type a letter it shows up 3 minutes later. OMG, WTF, it's useless! Does anyone else experience THIS?

muhammadfm123 | February 4, 2019

I haven't driven my model is in 2 months now. But I can tell you one thing, i completely agree with you, its extremely slow and useless. I logged into my gmail account with it once and it will keep logging me out. Even Amazon account gets logged out automatically after a couple of minutes. I could've used it if it worked.

jerrykham | February 4, 2019

I found Bighorn's comment interesting. Is it geofenced as to where you can use a hotspot? Because what I see here in CA in both my Model S and my wife's Model 3 is that as soon as you put it into drive or reverse it immediately drops the Wi-Fi and tries to connect to LTE (which is a problem as we are at the fringe of AT&T's signal so sometimes it won't connect until we head up the street a bit). I've never gotten it to stay connected to Wi-Fi even sitting in the garage if it is in gear and not in park. Example: Get in car, press the brake pedal. Shows connected to Wi-Fi. Put it in reverse, drops Wi-Fi. Drive out of the garage to the driveway to wash the car. Put it into park - connects to Wi-Fi.

cmichael | February 4, 2019

I was hopeful that when I switched from a 85 with 3G to a 100D with LTE that transport and throughput was the reason the browser was s l o w. Nope.

I have a couple bookmarks for weather for my home location and airport parking. Outside of that my mobile browser gets all the usage.

I would trade this browser for a better USB music interface and a Spotify client (in the US) on the spot.

Cheers

Pages