Forums

Premium Connectivity service for one year

Premium Connectivity service for one year

I currently have Premium connectivity service for one year, just curious what happen if I don't renew after one year, I know it will change to Standard connectivity. What's the major difference, between Premium and Standard?

Kathy Applebaum | February 19, 2019

No streaming music, no live traffic data, most updates over wifi only.

CorkChop | February 19, 2019

Kathy, are you sure? Do you have experience in this?

CharleyBC | February 19, 2019

I think also no satellite view maps.

derotam | February 19, 2019

I am sure this statement will need to be updated or it will be fun when you do a route and it routes you some weird way because of traffic that you cant see on the map because you only have Standard Connectivity.

"All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive maps & navigation functionality similar to those with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing..."

bradbomb | February 19, 2019

@derotam I'd assume the routing reverts to routing without traffic like when the car is outside cell coverage.

hamiltonned | February 20, 2019

It's $100 per year. You can buy a $60,000 car but can't pay $100/yr for this?

gmr6415 | February 20, 2019

+1 hamiltonned, and no data caps for a lot less than most of us pay for a year's worth of cell phone connectivity.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | February 20, 2019

Here here!! $100/year is easy. For crap's sake, I pay 15/mo to have a next-to-useless Lexus app on my phone that can start the engine and inform me when I've left the door unlocked. Oh, and it automatically calls for help if I'm in a crash. Seriously, Lexus is a ripoff.

Tesla is the cool new rockstar at the party. Lexus is just a Kardashian...

Wanderer | February 20, 2019

Agree. $100/year is reasonable although $99 may reduce the sticker-shock.

hokiegir1 | February 20, 2019

Less than the cost of XM that most people say they can't live without...and gives more than the same 15 songs per station on repeat.

EVRider | February 20, 2019

It remains to be seen whether Tesla will actually implement this change. They were originally supposed to charge for Slacker after 4 years but that never happened.

aperfectecho | February 20, 2019

I thought that cars purchased before a certain date had lifetime premium connectivity?

billlake2000 | February 20, 2019

Hey, neomaxie, if you got something to say about Kim and Khloe, let's hear it. :)

Kathy Applebaum | February 20, 2019

@CorkChop Technically no one has experienced this, since everyone has premium connectivity right now.

However, I am able to rtfm: https://www.tesla.com/support/frequently-asked-questions-connectivity
"What are the new connectivity options?

Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.

Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular."

LadyGrey | February 20, 2019

Our M3 delivered in November 2018 has lifetime Premium connectivity. The M3 delivered in January only has it for a year.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | February 20, 2019

@billlake2000 - Lexus is beautiful to look at but is intellectually uninspiring, as are Kim and Khloe.

SteveWin1 | February 20, 2019

You can probably use your phone to create a hotspot and have your car connect to the wifi that your phone creates. I wonder if it would allow streaming and traffic updates through a mobile hotspot.

lunde | February 20, 2019

How does one check whether their M3 has Lifetime Premium Connectivity?

RichardKJ | February 20, 2019

I believe the cut off for lifetime premium connectivity was cars configured by 6/30/18.

@SteveWin1: You can't use a mobile hotspot while driving, because the car disconnects from WiFi as soon as you shift into gear.

terminator9 | February 20, 2019

I would gladly pay $100/year if the recorded footage can be uploaded to either Tesla, dropbox or some other cloud instead of just staying in the USB drive. I understand the uploads will the enormous data consumption but hopefully since people are paying $100, that covers the cost.

I usually play music from my phone (bluetooth) because I can select specific songs in the playlist and traffic is not a big deal as I have google maps on the phone. Car has a wifi signal at home every day for updates. So, I don't really use the functionally of premium connectivity.

Bighorn | February 20, 2019

@ Steve
I have to hotspot my Model S in Canada and can stream music and maps that are otherwise absent. I go through the allotted high speed 0.5 GB in several hours.

@EVRider
It works in the Model S while driving.

@Bighorn: It works in the Model S if it was produced before a certain date -- I don't know the cutoff. It did not work in my 2016 S85, and it doesn't in my new S100D or my wife's new Model 3.

EVRider
I’ll confirm one way or the other on my 3.

@Bighorn: I confirmed on my wife's 3 before I posted the previous reply. As soon as I shift out of park the WiFi indicator is replaced with the LTE indicator.

What year is your S and are you running V9 there?

I just was able to hotspot the 3. You have to go into WiFi settings and turn it on after it reverts to LTE.

billlake2000 | February 20, 2019

bighorn for the win? just a friendly back and forth...

And I happen to know that EVRider gets up pretty early in the morning already:)

jd4714 | February 20, 2019

@RichardKJ That is my understanding as well.

@Bighorn: When you say “go into WiFi settings” do you mean by touching the LTE icon? That didn’t work in my S, but I’ll try it in the 3 tomorrow.

RES IPSA | February 20, 2019

@Richard is correct... you had to order on or before 6/30/18 to get free lifetime premium connectivity

RES IPSA | February 20, 2019

The big question for those of us that have lifetime premium connectivity remains in the last sentence of this quote from the Tesla website:

"All Tesla cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have access to their existing Premium Connectivity features at no cost for as long as the car is active. As additional apps and services become available in the future, owners will have the opportunity to upgrade their connectivity plan."

Yes, the LTE icon. Just checked the S. It goes into 3G now when I shift into D. I can also hotspot it by touching 3G and going into WiFi settings. Both cars are on the latest firmware, so I think you just haven’t persisted given the date range from July 2013 to August 2018.

Ttesla | February 20, 2019

$100 a year sounds worth it. It does improve the user experience but $100 adds up if you could put it towards supercharging for example.

EVRider | February 21, 2019

This is a test. I tried posting a longer reply to Bighorn but got "invalid URL" errors whenever I saved it.

@Bighorn: I just confirmed that what you said works in both our Model S and 3 (both late 2018 models). When you open WiFi settings, WiFi is disabled, but you can turn it on - you have to manually select the network and connect even if it's the same network you were just connected to. I could swear I tried this in the Model S earlier and nothing happened when I touched the LTE icon, but maybe I just didn't hit the right spot. Thanks for confirming that a hotspot actually works while driving!

Had to break my reply into two parts, here's part 2: Note that once Tesla starts charging for premium connectivity, you won't get premium features even with a mobile hotspot -- it says that on the Premium Connectivity FAQ page referenced above.

Bighorn | February 21, 2019

@EVRider
Glad you figured it out. It is a bit inconvenient given the lack of caching the password, but it would still help if ATT weren't available to the car. Interesting that they're not allowing hotspotting of premium features.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | February 21, 2019

Could it be that disabling WiFi while driving is for security? Can the car be hacked over WiFi any easier than over bluetooth?

@Bighorn: I didn't have to re-enter the password when I manually connected to my home WiFi, I just had to select the network name from the list (it was the only entry). I'm not surprised Tesla won't allow you access premium features via WiFi (hotspot or otherwise) if you're not paying for premium features, since there would be less incentive to upgrade.

@Neo...: I'm guessing Tesla disconnects from WiFi when you're in gear because it's unlikely you'll have WiFi access (without using a hotspot). I don't think hacking is a big concern, especially via WiFi.

Bighorn | February 21, 2019

@EVRider
Home Wifi reconnects, but the Verizon phone hotspot acted new each time.

@Bighorn: That’s odd. I wonder if that only happens with your hotspot, or any secondary WiFi network? In other words, does Tesla only remember the password for one network at a time? Doesn’t seem like it should work that way.

RichardKJ | February 21, 2019

My Tesla remembers passwords for WiFi at two homes. Haven’t tried hotspot in a long time.

jamespompi | July 10, 2019

Well its been a year since Tesla stated this service would only be free for a year going forward, wonder if any July 2018 people have been prompted to pay yet.

n7vdr1 | July 10, 2019

I can’t get them to take my money!

walnotr | July 10, 2019

The program ended 06/30/18. I ordered July 5th and took delivery August 17th. Seems to me it should be August deliveries that will see the first call to pay for Premium connectivity. At the time I ordered, it was still taking several weeks to get the car. Still waiting to hear what the hit will be.

jamespompi | July 10, 2019

@walnotr Good point, service would probably be effective as of the delivery date. I also ordered in July and took delivery August. With how many "premium" features the base model ended up getting and now that homelink isnt included at all, I really think the connection should be included. Theres hardly any difference in interior packages at this point..

Baywood | July 10, 2019

M3 SR+ RWD FSD vin …400k delivered mid-June
No Connectivity and cannot be added as an option!
We paid $300 to have HomeLink installed.

Pages