Forums

Can you get In-car internet streaming music & media on the Standard/Standard Plus?

Can you get In-car internet streaming music & media on the Standard/Standard Plus?

Anyone know if you can get In-car internet streaming music & media on the Standard/Standard Plus?

It is included on the Midrange and up. Is it possible to pay the $100 per year to activate this? Thanks!

t_bui | March 2, 2019

Pure speculation here but I would think that only premium has LTE. Standard and plus has WiFi only. Therefore no traffic and streaming.

lbowroom | March 2, 2019

That makes no sense at all

billdragon | March 2, 2019

Never have been able to log into my "slacker" account. For me it has been a useless service. (no service)

gene | March 2, 2019

That feature is only included with Premium interior.
This info, unlike the vague Autopilot info, is listed on the website but sort of hidden. Go to the bottom of the Model 3 page, to “Specs,” then click the plus sign.

weluvm3 | March 2, 2019

And no AM radio, either. So, if you like talk radio...

ewd7 | March 2, 2019

I find the built in music sub par. You'll find Google play music and connecting through bluetooth to be much better, or your streaming music provider of choice.

zerogravitydrgn | March 2, 2019

If there was no LTE modem then the app wouldn’t work. I have to believe they included LTE.

jamilworm | March 2, 2019

@t_bui - I doubt that is the case. Some people won't have wifi connectivity where they park, and so without LTE they would never be able to get upgrades. Also there are a lot of phone app features that require constant connectivity.

Xerogas | March 2, 2019

@jamilworm: "@t_bui - I doubt that is the case. Some people won't have wifi connectivity where they park, and so without LTE they would never be able to get upgrades. Also there are a lot of phone app features that require constant connectivity."
------
True, but the question was about streaming music. Tesla doesn’t have to give you access to LTE for music, but they do have to enable app features.

lbowroom | March 2, 2019

I can't believe that tesla doesn't plan to allow streaming music, even its for a fee.

Ocala.Joe | March 3, 2019

Is it possible to pay the $100 per year to activate this?

From my understanding, yes you can activate that. But someone that has a standard package now can confirm this. You should be able to activate thru your console.

kgradzki | March 18, 2019

Just purchased a Model 3 Standard Range Plus and I can't find the area on the screen where I can install TuneIn app. Tried everything and I can't find it. The mid-range and up has the following option (In-car internet streaming music & media), but my Standard does not. Does that mean I can't install any application in the car?

RES IPSA | March 18, 2019

I think in the SR or SR+ you have to listen to music through bluetooth from your phone if you want anything other than FM radio

tjbhandari | March 18, 2019

@kgradzki Yes. The Car OS does not allow third party app installations (yet?) You can play from your phone's media apps like slacker, tune-in or spotify and stream to car speakers using bluetooth. In MR or LR the tune-in is pre installed

kgradzki | March 18, 2019

So if Tesla pre-installed TuneIn on the MR and LR models, can I stop by the service center and have them install it on my SR+?

Also, do you know if they removed the Homelink option on the SR+ to program your garage door openers? I can't find the Homelink icon on the upper left of my screen. How do you open the garage doors using SR+ Model 3?

rxlawdude | March 18, 2019

Well, Homelink was not mentioned as a feature in the SR+, nor was any streaming media.

So I'm afraid you've got what you are supposed to have.

richmond1508 | March 18, 2019

There is no Homelink in SR/SR+

SR/SR+ have LTE. However, only emergency software updates can be downloaded over LTE. Non emergency updates must be downloaded when connected to WiFi. The app can always connect remotely to the car over LTE.

Tesla has not announced a subscription plan for non premium interiors to have premium connectivity features. The FAQ mentions they will announce this later on in the year but did not reveal any pricing info.