Forums

My purchase of FSD includes Summon, but I am confused.

My purchase of FSD includes Summon, but I am confused.

Below is the description given to me when I recently purchased FSD:

Full Self-Driving Capability

Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.

Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.

Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Coming later this year:
Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
Automatic driving on city streets.

But Summon only barely works going forward or reverse in a straight line. It also takes a very long time and is slow. Am I doing something wrong?

I cannot imagine that Summon, in its current form, will allow my parked car to find me anywhere in a parking lot. I REALLY do not see this happening right now. Has anyone successfully used this in a parking lot under normal parking lot circumstances?

burdogg | March 18, 2019

RES IPSA - that is one of those that many of us (me included) scratched out heads at - it is NOT available...yet....and yet they post it under items that ARE available and specifically then say what is still coming.

I have a 2016 Model X with FSD on it and have nothing of the sort yet. So you aren't confused - Tesla really is in this case. I just don't get it - why oh why on earth do they continue to shoot themselves in the foot with stupid statements like this!

RES IPSA | March 18, 2019

Agreed... It should be listed under the "Coming later this year" section.

My limited experience with it today yields the fact that I must be within Bluetooth range of car. I tried to show it off to some neighbors by having my car come out of the garage and meet me about 50 feet down the street. Needless to say, it did not work. But it did follow me down the drive way as I walked in front of it.

Baby steps I guess... but the explanation given at the time of purchase lead me to believe something totally different in regards to Summon.

cascadiadesign | March 18, 2019

Tesla tends to get out over their skis. This is a prime example.

But it should happen soon. And when it does, I'll be sure to watch YouTube for all the brave people trying it out. In the meantime, I'm happy to make my Model 3 go in/out the garage.

Dravize | March 18, 2019

You are referring to Advanced Summon. In its current form, summon is used to pull in and out of parking spaces and in and out of the garage. Advanced summon coming later this year will allow you to get out of your car and have the car go find an available parking space within 150 ft of you.

Such definitive and easily disproven statements by Tesla when offering a product for sale only opens themselves up to a class action lawsuit. Foolish...

I am still happy I bought FSD... Tesla just needs to change their wording... I mean they even add a "Really" in the immediate sentence after their claim (removing any confusion or implication).

@Dravize... that is not what the above explanation clearly states...

But I do agree with you... Tesla should immediately change their description of the current Summon and add Advanced Summon to the list products coming later this year.

burdogg | March 18, 2019

Dravize - yeah - but the problem is....Tesla doesn't clarify that and in fact, has advanced summon as already out under their list - here is the statement again:
Full Self-Driving Capability

Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.

Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.

Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Coming later this year:
Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
Automatic driving on city streets.

SO as you see - summon - your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Note that is NOT under coming later this year...meaning it is already out! Which...it is NOT out and hence confusing people. Come on Tesla - quit shooting yourself in the foot - this is what leads to people being mad at you and stop trusting you (we won't even start with Elon's tweets about when FSD features would start differing from Enhance Autopilot features...oh wait, it never happened - so much so, that you pushed Enhanced Autopilot into FSD.......)

AMDPower | March 18, 2019

But it has already started rolling out so technically it IS now.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-navigate-on-autopilot-no-confirmation-en...

FSD features just downloaded to my vehicle today. In my situation, technically it is not now