Forums

12v still switched?

12v still switched?

Took delivery of my model 3 yesterday.

Blue/white
LR Dual Motor
18in Aeros

Absolutely loving it!!

My first question is about the 12v. I have a Valentine 1 plugged in (for now until I hardwire) and it doesn’t seem to ever switch off. I’ve walked away and locked the doors and waited a few minutes to come back to the car to find it was still on. I looked thru the window...didn’t get close enough for the car to “see” me. Is the 12v still switched? Is there an easy way to test this? How long should it take for the 12v to turn off? Thanks everyone!

jordanrichard | March 28, 2019

No the 12v doesn’t turn off because it is running the BMS and associated computers. Think about it, if the 12v were to shut off, then your car wouldn’t “see” you when you approached.

tomasrey88 | March 28, 2019

No, the 12V battery doesn't switch off. If you leave your radar detector (valentine 1) plugged in, it will drain the battery faster if you are parked and unplugged. so unplug the radar detector or turn it off (if it has an off switch) before you park it somewhere for a long time without plugging it in. better yet, keep the car plugged in if you're going away for a long time (an out of town trip).

Carl Thompson | March 29, 2019

I don't think the OP was implying that the entire 12V battery or 12V electrical system would be switched off. It's just common in cars that the accessory circuit for things like 12V charge ports and USB ports be switched. In most cars these types of things don't stay on. There are advantages to it and disadvantages, I guess.

gmr6415 | March 29, 2019

There is a switch 12v accessory connection under the drive's side of the dash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNjgyrcGno&frags=pl%2Cwn