Forums

0-60 times (ideally GPS or track verified)

0-60 times (ideally GPS or track verified)

Let's use this thread to share verified 0-60 s times for Model 3. Verified means track timing or GPS, slope greater than -1%. Share your testing method (e.g. GPS or track ticker), tesla model, battery SOC, software version and tire info.
I can go first.

5.18 sec verified with Dragy GPS unit
LR RWD, 86% SOC, 2019.8.3, 18” MXM4 aero with 24k miles

https://imgur.com/gallery/3uUoWxA

beaver | April 3, 2019

I was hoping to hit 5.00 sec or less, but I will likely need new stickier tires (like 19" sport) to hit such a low number.

jjgunn | April 3, 2019

Seems slow. Should be near 4.5 for LR RWD

beaver | April 3, 2019

@jjgunn no you need an AWD (dual motor) for 4.5 sec, on Tesla's website it shows 5.0 sec for LR RWD Model 3. Back in March 2018 there are posts showing as low as 4.6-4.7 sec, I was hoping that the 5% peak power upgrade would take us back to those old days.

I will upgrade my tires within 2 months and try again, and maybe get to a track with good soft asphalt. This run was on a straight deserted concrete road. I definitely felt some modulation in power as the wheels struggled for traction with my high mileage 18" tires.

AWDTesla | April 3, 2019

I would like to see real 1/4 mile track times. Too many variables to account for when using dragy

beaver | April 3, 2019

AWDTesla, yes me too, I am planning to go to a track in Fontana to test it out once I have my new tires.

Karpinski00 | April 3, 2019

1/4 mile track time done on March 16 @ 79% of charge, RWD - LR, 18", best time 13.571 @ 102.17. Before the 5% power increase update.

Mike UpNorth | April 3, 2019

Good thread!

ncancilla81 | April 3, 2019

Poop

First time was back in Nov. (3k miles) second was in March (6k miles). Weather was about 60 for both

https://imgur.com/gallery/Gg3R4c8

Carl Thompson | April 3, 2019

@beaver:
"I was hoping to hit 5.00 sec or less ..."

If you're comparing with Tesla's published specs a year or two ago Tesla switched to using the 1 foot rollout for all its cars (previously they just used it on the performance models). So if you want an apples-to-apples comparison you _did_ beat 5.00 seconds with 4.93 seconds according to your Dragy.

beaver | April 3, 2019

Carl - good to know; and I did it sub 5.00 sec!

Today I measured 4.99 0-60 with a 1 ft rollout time of 4.75. This exceeds Tesla’s published figure.

https://imgur.com/gallery/voWQKyd

beaver | April 3, 2019

@ncancilla81 what vehicle is that? P3+ or -?

+

lph | April 3, 2019

Anyone beat the 3.1 barrier for the M3P?

edhchoe | April 3, 2019

What is the time for Murciellago?

ODWms | April 4, 2019

That means the Performance 3 will leave it at the line.

jordanrichard | April 4, 2019

I am sure my Model S 85 would leave a Murciellago behind on the line.

If you were to do a real apples to apples comparison, then you would do the following. A Tesla owner gets into their car at the starting line and "starts" the car by pressing the brake. A Lambo driver gets into their car and starts the engine, letting it idle. Light turns green and both punch it. A Tesla will win.

Why anyone with just a teaspoon of critical thinking would even give any of these 0-60 times for ICE cars any creditability, is beyond me. A vast majority, if not all of those 0-60 times for so called "performance cars" is done with professional drivers, under ideal conditions like cool morning temperatures, engine fully up to temp, tires up to temperature with the pressure set to give maximum grip, ideal elevation and utilizing launch control or a variation of it.

When Top Gear, specifically James May set a speed record with a Veyron, there was a whole team of Bugatti engineers on hand to set everything to be just perfect and then they had to wait until the barometric pressure was just right, before letting James set off.

George with SacEV | April 4, 2019

I have made 5 runs over 2 different days (3 + 2) at Sacramento Raceway last Fall. My SLOWEST 2 runs were with lowered tire pressure as an experiment..

2 at exactly 11.78 seconds and 114 mph

Earlier I had made 3 runs full OEM and standard tire pressure on my 20" performance tire/wheel combination:

11.75 11.72 11.75 Seconds .....all those in the 115.0 to 115.48 mph range.

I have a Dragy and tested my 0-60 mph time on the OEM setup back in September at 3.42 seconds.

ICEMELT | April 4, 2019

Measured under 4.5 sec using video method. Fairly flat highway with signal.

At 60 fps, there is no frame between 57mph and 66mph.

beaver | April 4, 2019

@George and @Ice Melt

Please share your model (P? AWD?) and tire info

gballant4570 | April 4, 2019

jordanrichard+100. A couple of weeks ago when I smoked a Porsche 911 Carrera S from a red light with my Model 3 AWD LR, I could not believe how sluggish the Porsche was at the take off. The race was actually over in the first 200 feet. Of course that part has a lot to do with the driver, and this particular driver was better at making noise than anything else. Over the next two miles there was nothing that Porsche could to catch up - he kept on falling farther behind....every time he hit a gear he would lose more distance. Because of the noise he was making, I knew exactly when he was shifting gears.....

ICEMELT | April 4, 2019

LR AWD

Ken@RI | April 4, 2019

LR AWD 18"
Method - Iphone/Imovie

Before: 4.5s average over several runs (range: 4.4-4.6)

After: 4.2s average over several runs (range 4.2 - 4.3)

Ken@RI | April 4, 2019

LR AWD 18"
Method - Iphone/Imovie

Before: 4.5s average over several runs (range: 4.4-4.6)

After: 4.2s average over several runs (range 4.2 - 4.3)

beaver | April 4, 2019

LR RWD 18” aero

version 5.15: 5.3 sec (stopwatch - I know not verified)
version 8.3: 4.99 sec (dragy see link above)

mr.mark.tarver | April 4, 2019

I've done 3.3 many times T3 Dual Motor Performance

rdavis | April 4, 2019

gballant4570 | April 4, 2019
Over the next two miles there was nothing that Porsche could to catch up - he kept on falling farther behind..

2 miles??? I don't think you'd be able to take out many power ICE cars over that distance. Most 1/4 mile tracks they are almost even and catching in a hurry... The Tesla is wonderful instant power, the power muscle cars do a great job in extended distance as they have the muscle to drag you back.

ncancilla81 | April 4, 2019

I agree with rdavis. The instant power of the Tesla is awesome, but the powerful ice cars will eat you alive after that. I got a nice reminder of that the other day with a new Vette Zo6.

beaver | April 4, 2019

What are the reasons EVs lose top speed to power ICE? Horsepower? Gear ratio (add a 2nd gear?)? Energy density? Battery fade due to heating?

AWDTesla | April 5, 2019

Naturally aspirated porsche 911's arent the quickest. 0-60 isnt what those cars are about. If you ever got to drive one at a racetrack, youd understand what I mean. They are the ultimate drivers car. I miss the driving dynamics of mine but not the maintenance bills

rdavis | April 5, 2019

@beaver..... mostly the lack of a transition... helps on the 0-60; hurts at the top end.

rdavis | April 5, 2019

^Transmission....

rdavis | April 5, 2019

@AWDTesla... I’ve driven the 911 on the track and would agree...

JAD | April 5, 2019

Having had both my 3p and virtually every type of 911 on the track, I can tell you that you need a fairly new, fairly high end 911 model to beat the 3 for one lap. The 911 is a better track car, but not much for sprints.

rdavis | April 5, 2019

@JAD, my experiece was that the 911 needed a "Pro"ficient driver. I was in the 911 GT3 driving under the instruction of a professional driver and struggled with the 911 compared to the Ferrari 458 Italia and the R8-V10. However, I could easily see why a "Driver" would love the 911. You could really do whatever you wanted with it. It "listened" to you and did what you said regardless of it being good or bad. The Ferrair 458 was a bit more friendly to correct for your mistakes, the R8 was like driving a sedan on the race track.... at least for me.

jordanrichard | April 5, 2019

JAD +1

Real life is just sprints not track times be it 1/4 mile or road courses. Modern "performance" cars have gotten far far too powerful for real world road use. Meaning, their capabilities can only be appreciated on a track and the number of the road going public that tracks their car is miniscule. It doesn't even qualify as a "rounding error".

JAD | April 5, 2019

I have found ONLY Porsche makes a car you can drive from the dealer and drive hard all day at the track. BMW, Ferrari, Corvette, etc, along with the M3P are all great street cars, and can do a really good lap or two, but can not handle constant hard lapping. Only Porsches can.

It is quite a battle in the Porsche Club, but I believe the current Porsches have joined the Ferrari and Audi as being computers giving the driver a fun ride, whereas before ~2012, you had to DRIVE a Porsche. Traction control "off" buttons do stuff, but actually turning traction control OFF, is not one of them :)

JAD | April 5, 2019

The Taycan could be very interesting on a track. I have no idea how it will actually perform, as on paper, it is absolutely no match for the 3P.

AWDTesla | April 5, 2019

Yup, agreed with JAD. I didn't have to do anything to my 911 and I drove it to the track, did my lapping night and drove home without any issues. Every other car had to get bigger rad, bigger brakes, better pads, better fluid, meth injection, blah, blah blah.

I can already feel the brakes getting weak on my Dual motor LR, and that's just on the street. I am pretty confident I'll cook those pads on the 1st lap. I've been eyeing mountain pass performance big brake kit. I'll update my pads and fluid before I bring this thing on a race track.

Magic 8 Ball | April 5, 2019

Yeah, street racing and exhibition is bad but he despair on Porsche drivers face, when the 3P puts them to shame on the street, never gets old. ; ).

ODWms | April 5, 2019

Amen.

beaver | April 5, 2019

I love that we are discussing Porsche laps on a Tesla thread, Elon has succeeded :)

On that topic, it will be interesting to compare the new Porsche electric Teycan to 3P. My boss wants an electric car but prefers Porsche design and thinks the Tesla’s are too basic.

AWDTesla | April 5, 2019

Your boss is right, nothing can be compared to the sexy lines of a Porsche.

jimglas | April 5, 2019

If he wants a local commuter car, buy the porche

AWDTesla | April 5, 2019

lol

Magic 8 Ball | April 5, 2019

Porsche has been a bar of soap, forever. I love the hard chine aggressive look of the 3.
Panamerica has to be the most forced iteration, to the point of Huh, of the Porsche "classic" to date.

AWDTesla | April 5, 2019

You don't mess with perfection.

JAD | April 5, 2019

@beaver, in case you missed it, I have tracked my stock 3P with the Porsche club several times, 2 autocrosses, the first I came in 3rd behind two track prepped Porsches, ahead of about 60+ others. Second autocross I beat every Porsche, only losing to a race prepped Miata. At a big race track, I was upper middle class, ahead of all the Boxsters, Caymans and normal 911's, but well behind the GT3's. Very competitive little 4-door commuter car :)

beaver | April 5, 2019

@JAD awesome! Great to hear, I have the lowly LR RWD, but it’s a big step up from my Civic :)

I am saving my money for a roadster...

Pages