Forums

Analyze your model 3 - teslastics.com

Analyze your model 3 - teslastics.com

Hi everyone,

My name is Marc Pujol and I have developed Teslastics (https://teslastics.com), a platform to monitorize and analyze your Tesla.

Once you create an account and link your car, it will capture every single drive and charge.
You will be able to access them and see their details in charts, images and more...

It tracks your battery capacity and warns you if it decreases. You can view your battery degradation.

It tells your driving and charging efficiency at each location.

You can tag locations and set a price per kWh. Then it will calculate all your charging costs.

It doesn't prevent the car from sleeping to minimize the vampire drain.

It also has a calendar view, map view, email notifications, and much more features...

Accessible through computer, mobile, tablet or even the Tesla browser.
Available in English and Spanish. Working on more translations.

More details are available at its webpage.
I would love to receive feedback from users and new ideas.
Try it at https://teslastics.com!

SalisburySam | April 6, 2019

Tip-toed through the website and I really like the information presentation...well done in my opinion. Some questions:

1- pricing. Says free for some months, then $4/month. Is there a specific number of free months? Will there be an annual fee?

2- data capture. How will data that are already captured in other apps like TeslaFi or Stats be imported for some of the historical trend information? If that cannot be done, those of us already using those other apps will have little reason to change.

3- market comparison. Do you have a chart/table/listing comparing teslastics to the other market leaders at least for key features. That is, what are the benefits of your app over the others at a glance?

4- tokens. I’m assuming you’re using tokens and not Tesla login details. How are they renewed?

Thanks for listening.

lilbean | April 6, 2019

How about we just save our money, just drive, and not be obsessed with all the numbers.

jjt2122 | April 6, 2019

I agree, don’t worry about stats, just enjoy your Tesla, I was worried about everything at first when I got my Model 3, but I learned to just enjoy the car.
Also take care of exterior, I see so many Teslas at super chargers that are just scratched like crazy and have rim damage big time.

derotam | April 6, 2019

Can I get a definition of "monitorize". I'll keep saving my money...none of these apps really do anything that is worth the price...in my opinion.

teslastics.com | April 6, 2019

Hi @ SalisburySam.
Thanks for the interest.

1. Pricing: It will be free until it costs me a considerable amount of money. Then, I'll charge to cover the costs. It depends on growth. It may be May or June.

2. Right now there isn't any option to import existing data. I'm considering adding it.

- Regarding the UI, I have tried to use a good-looking design.
- It lists the top efficient drives or charges.
- It has a savings page with your costs and savings compared to a gas car.
- It warns you through email notifications when your battery range decreases.
- It has an interactive widget to view your drives minute by minute.
- Drives and charges charts have more parameters.
- I’m also working on a tool to compare the efficiency of a charger o a drive (always with the same origin and destination). it will show the efficiency according to every single parameter (inside/outside temperature, climate state, fan status, etc...)
And I'm waiting for feedback from users to add the features they ask for! :-)

4. The token is what I save on the DB to access the cars. But I ask for the Tesla credentials in order to generate it. This way I also have the refresh_token. It will also be possible to register using the token in a few weeks, but it will be necessary to provide a new one every 45 days.

Hi @lilbean, Hi @jjt2122,
Completely agree, we have to enjoy our Teslas. That's the most important thing!
But some of us can enjoy more our Tesla by looking, understanding and analyzing the numbers it generates.

Hi @derotam,
When I say "monitorize" I mean to be aware of the data.
That is saving, organizing, analyzing it to display it in useful ways and get some insights.

ALDONY | April 6, 2019

So basically I am handing you the "key" of my car. So you know where I park, my speed, my codes, where I live.. Etc.

You could selly data to a third party (audi & Mercedes) and make money.

Or. You could be a thief and get my car while I am at work based on my history.

Hi @ALDONY,
I understand your point of view.
But we always think about the worst scenarios. There's a third option:

You could be a young developer fascinated by your SP85 Tesla that wants to create interesting tools to analyze it and share that will other Tesla owners. :-)

Tokens (what would be the "key") are stored in an encrypted Google Cloud Database, and I'm not going to sell the data to third-party companies.
Data is only available to the user it belongs to.

lilbean | April 6, 2019

By share, you mean $4 a month.

@lilbean Yes, now I'm offering it free until it costs me a considerable amount of money. Then, I'll charge to cover the costs.

Lonestar10_1999 | April 6, 2019

I understand why M3 owners would be reluctant to share their personal data with a third party. For me, I would rather the monitor capabilities be integrated with the Tesla app and supported by Tesla.

Perhaps Teslastics technology could be sold to Tesla as some sort of intellectual property / licensing arrangement.

EM34ME | April 6, 2019

@teskatasics,com, I don't mean any offense, I know you probably mean well, but I don't know you and I will not share personal data about me and my car whether it is $4 per month or free forever. In fact, I am not 100% comfortable sharing my personal data with Tesla, but in that case I have no choice.

I wish you well, but I choose not to participate (even open your website) it is a tough world out here on the Internet with a plethora of sharks in the swamp. It is always driver beware.

Like @lilbean I'm going to just drive my car and enjoy it, statistics be ICE'd.

lilbean | April 6, 2019

I agree with you, @EM34ME.

teslastics.com | April 7, 2019

@EM34ME, @lilbean,

I understand your point of view.

But like @Lonestar10_1999 says, Tesla does not offer a service like this at the moment.
And in order to offer this service, the platform needs to access the owner's data. It's impossible to do it without.
It would be like wanting a doctor opinion without letting you visit.

Enjoy your Teslas!

Bighorn | April 7, 2019

How is this different than several other options that have been available for years now?

EM34ME | April 7, 2019

@teslastics, are you willing to put your full name and contact information out there on the Internet so we can see who you are? I know I'm not, not even for my doctor.

Again, I wish you well. Sounds like a good idea for some analytical drivers if their information can be secure.

@Bighorn, these are some special features:
- Regarding the UI, I have tried to use a good-looking design.
- It lists the top efficient drives or charges.
- It has a savings page with your costs and savings compared to a gas car.
- It warns you through email notifications when your battery range decreases.
- It has an interactive widget to view your drives minute by minute.
- Drives and charges charts have more parameters.
- I’m also working on a tool to compare the efficiency of a charger o a drive (always with the same origin and destination). it will show the efficiency according to every single parameter (inside/outside temperature, climate state, fan status, etc...)
And I'm waiting for feedback from users to add the features they ask for! ;-)

@EM34ME, my name is Marc Pujol Gualdo, I'm a Catalan developer. You can contact me by mail at marc@teslastics.com or by phone/WhatsApp at +34 688864432 . My personal page is http://marcpujolgualdo.cat
Thanks for the wishings :-)

TAC | April 7, 2019

The day of owning something you purchase (particularly software) continues to disintegrate. We willingly give up power when we succumb to subscription based software purchases under the guise of convenience and safety. Even with real tangible items people are losing their right to repair, resell, etc. We no longer own the product nor control our data. Even real tangible stuff people are losing their right to repair, resell, etc.

TAC | April 7, 2019

The day of owning something you purchase (particularly software) continues to disintegrate. We willingly give up power when we succumb to subscription based software purchases under the guise of convenience and safety. Even with real tangible items people are losing their right to repair, resell, etc. We no longer own the product nor control our data.

hokiegir1 | April 7, 2019

I see no real benefit to your product over the one I've been using for months that had been and is currently used by thousands of Tesla owners, especially if it would mean losing historical data.

For those that don't use a tracker, that's fine, but we have multiple business categories that the ability to tag drives to track mileage and charging costs is incredibly helpful. It's also a bit of a safety feature in our case, since when we are doing Lyft rides as not only can we see currently location (available in the Tesla app) but also the last stop...which would be important in an emergency....something that you wouldn't need until you do and then it's too late to add it.

SalisburySam | April 7, 2019

As I’ve gone through this thread, I conclude that I agree with @hokiegir1: no compelling requirement to switch from my current info app, TeslaFi in my case, to yours or any other. In addition, the loss of 9 months of data makes switching an absolute non-starter.

As other have mentioned, I too wish you luck in this endeavor, which I believe would be of value to new owners and those who have not already begun using a different app.

As a suggestion, you may wish to define and publish a security/privacy policy. We skeptics will likely not believe it anyway given the major privacy invasions due to hacking losses, but it is something you should have nonetheless.

gene | April 7, 2019

It seems disingenuous to complain about “handing over data” while also saying this doesn’t offer anything more than other apps — obviously, people are using many different apps and all of them are getting that data.
I think the onus has to be on Tesla to ensure that when they make these APIs available they don’t become a gateway into unfettered access to the car.
Meanwhile, I’ve been playing with Teslastics for a week now just to get data on my car while planning a cross-country drive. While it may have the same features as others, I have to say that it’s interface is so much better. I can understand what it is telling me without having to go to forums to find out what acronyms and obscure data points mean. I like it so far, it’s clean, uncluttered, and clear. (A request for Marc - please add a setting to use F° rather than C°, in America we like being stubborn.)

@TAC, I would like to offer a purchase model rather than a subscription, but a user has a monthly cost. CPU seconds, functions invocations... I think a small subscription is fairer.

@hokiegir1, @SalisburySam, Thanks for the wishes. I understand that losing your historical data is a problem.
For sure it's better for someone just starting. In the near future, I'll work to allow users to import data.

@gene, Thanks for using Teslastics. I'm glad to know you like it! :-)
Just added an option to see the temperature in ºF from the website (toggle it from the Account page). In a few hours, I'll also add it to the email notifications.
My biggest effort was on creating a clean, organized and attractive user interface. I think is one of the main differences with other services.

Lonestar10_1999 | April 7, 2019

All I would need is the status of each window while the car is parked; rolled up and shut versus rolled down and opened. I would also want the ability to actuate each window remotely.

@Lonestar10_1999 Unfortunately, right now is not possible to control the windows through the Tesla API :/

ModernTriDad | April 7, 2019

I am not a fan of 3rd party apps that access any software platforms with sensitive data (Office 365, Outlook, banking apps), especially without any 3rd party software auditing/penetration testing. With that said, I have been using a Tesla 3rd party app and like the features. It’s important to me that the Tesla token/password is stored within my iCloud and not in the developer’s database because of the way Tesla only has an unofficial API and no way to restrict permissions (Summon especially). With hackers being able to hack companies with large security budgets, it wouldn’t be that hard to hack a small developer’s app to access tokens/passwords or even the app service to send bulk summon (or other) commands to all/some app users. Hacks like these become more likely as the target app increases their audience.

It would be great to see an official API from Tesla, but until then, hopefully all these Tesla app developers mitigate security risks carefully.

@ModernTriDad,
Security is crucial.
I cannot save the token into the user's iCloud because Teslastics is a web app. I save the tokens in a Google Cloud Database encrypted and protected by strict security rules.

Lonestar10_1999 | April 7, 2019

The best solution would be for Tesla to set up a Developer Community where ideas could be pitched by external parties. Ideas that are accepted and integrated into commercial software would be paid for by Tesla.

ModernTriDad | April 7, 2019

External databases are only as secure as the permissions & backend rules set by developers. I’m not saying that yours is not secure, but plenty of Fortune 500 companies with full IT security staff have made mistakes that have allowed for breaches. Firebase (and other public cloud database platforms) can be accessed by hackers with the right skills & usually stolen credentials. If the risk was only that my supercharging or even location data was stolen, it would be less of an issue. Unfortunately, anyone with my credentials or token could send commands to activate Summon (and soon-Advanced Summon) that could result in serious injury. I’m not sure whether insurance would even cover such a circumstance. Hopefully Tesla will formalize API access and allow permissions to restrict token access to commands with physical risks!

Fortunately for your app, most mainstream users don’t care about the risks enough to not use most apps in app stores so I’m sure you’ll get plenty of subscribers. The real risk will be to Tesla’s reputation when someone hacks a large batch of cars while Tesla uses the excuse that the API is unsupported.

teslastics.com | April 8, 2019

@ModernTriDad, Yes, even Tesla could suffer an attack. Actually: https://www.wired.com/story/cryptojacking-tesla-amazon-cloud/

It's like driving. You can take all the security measures, but it's possible to have an accident.
Teslastics security rules are very strong. If they hack it, it probably means they have stolen your password or they have found a way to hack google cloud.

derotam | April 8, 2019

So, maybe I am missing something but there are a couple people on here that have brought up concerns about privacy/security of their login credentials, and tokens...but those same people are using another 3rd party app which is using the same credentials to get and store the token.

So I guess my question is what is technically different about teslatics, vs the other 3rd party apps that makes teslatics more of a security concern?

I ask because if people are going to say stuff like that it would be good to show the technical comparison. I don't use any 3rd party apps for my Tesla because it is to easy for any developer or hacker of a developer to abuse the info.

ODWms | April 8, 2019

^^^ couldn’t agree more.

hokiegir1 | April 8, 2019

@derotam - I think some people get their own token (rather than giving their credentials to the 3rd party site) and just load the token. I'm not on of those, so it's a slight guess, but I'm thinking the 45 day expiry is seen as slightly safer than a password that can be used forever (until it's changed). You'd still be able to change your password and "kill" the token immediately, but it only has access to the API info -- not other account info (like any stored credit cards, for example).

derotam | April 8, 2019

hokiegirl, The other 3rd party apps allow you to use your login credentials to get the token though. So from that aspect what is different?

The OP said that soon you will be able to register using your own provided token so that would fix the issue at that point right?

hokiegir1 | April 8, 2019

@derotam - they allow you to, but you don't have to, if you know how to get the token yourself (the credentials allow them to get it). That's what's different. And yes, if the OP allows providing your own, that would solve that issue -- but at present, he requires the credentials.

teslastics.com | April 8, 2019

Hi, I've been working hard to implement token registration.
Now you can create an account by providing an access token or the Tesla account credentials.

Note that you will have to provide a new one every 45 days, but that's safer for the user.
Hope it helps :-)

teslastics.com | April 10, 2019

2019.12 version comes with Chromium, an improved browser.
https://teslastics.com looks great on it

DarkBlue3 | April 10, 2019

one of my favorite new functions I just discovered today is:

- disable mobile access

now I don't need to check on charge, "phantom drain" and similar stuff all day.

crmedved | April 10, 2019

Beat me to it. I didn't really like the TeslaFi UI (functional... but dated) so I was thinking of making something myself... but I hateeeee UI development haha.

I really wish Tesla provided read-only tokens, but it is what it is.

ModernTriDad | April 10, 2019

This is with a caveat of—correct me if I’m wrong... Tokens are only marginally safer for Tesla users because there is only 1 token issued per user and Tesla doesn’t allow users to assign individual tokens to different API or varying permissions. You can revoke the token access by changing your password though, which is much better than providing an app with the password to store... using whatever database they choose at whatever level of encryption they choose. The problem is still that commands (including Summon) could be run and it could be too late by the time you revoke access by changing your password.

The other issue is where developers choose to store your username/password. I prefer mine stored within my iCloud and not accessible to devs but there is nothing preventing devs from saying they’re doing one thing then doing another. The greater risk is the too frequent issue of a database being given the wrong permissions or someone stealing a developer’s credentials to access the data. Sometimes databases are backed up and not encrypted or permissions on the backup are overlooked.

There are lots of risks involved, especially with remote access to vehicle movement. It’s really the fault of Tesla for not publishing an official API using a more appropriate setup. App developers are offering cool options to vehicle owners, but it’s with risk and the difference between taking a risk on a Tesla hack vs a 3rd party app hack is the financial responsibility if someone remotely causes damage to or with your car. If I’m using an unofficial 3rd party app, which may also carry no insurance, who is responsible if something bad happens? Some users are also concerned about where all the data goes & issues related to privacy (locations, usage). Some may be very concerned about location data being stored and whether an app developer has the resources to argue against unreasonable subpoenas of the data (although, if you’re committing a crime then too bad for you). Maybe I’m wrong... for now I am cautiously using a 3rd party app anyway... at least until I read my own post here.

TexasBob | April 10, 2019

@teslastics nice application but HOW do you switch between vehicles when you have more than one? I can see my wife's vehicle but not mine...

2015P90DI | April 10, 2019

Trying to remember off the top of my head, by I think it's called "Visible Tesla". Offers a desktop app that basically does the same thing I think. And it's free. If you need stats from your car, pretty sure there are other free options rather than spending $4 per month to get basically useless information.

bj | April 11, 2019

I’m a stats-head and love this sort of stuff, although I don’t have a Tesla yet. But what is “Driving Efficiency” and how is it calculated? Not explained as far as I could see.

The Nissan LEAF uploads all sorts of stats to their Carwings server, and the owner can download the data and post-process it to their heart’s content. But the data is nowhere near as comprehensive as this.

One thing I think would be good to add to Teslastics would be “regeneration rate %” which is kWh of power regenerated on a trip, divided by the total kWh used for the trip. In other words, what proportion of the power used for a specific drive came from regeneration.

I can calculate that for my LEAF using the uploaded data, and over its lifetime (4 years now) the figure is 37%. I think that’s amazing, but I’d be really interested to see how that compares with what Tesla achieves.

teslastics.com | April 11, 2019

@ModernTriDad Just comment that Teslastics does not save the Tesla Credentials but the token.

@TexasBob Right now Teslastics can only handle one car per account. I'm working in multiple car support :)

Hi @bj,
Driving Efficiency is calculated by dividing the total miles driven between the miles decreased from the battery range.

Your idea on regeneration range is very interesting and useful!
Thanks for the feedback, I'll work to add this rate on teslastics! :-)

TexasBob | April 11, 2019

Glad you are working on multiple vehicles. Is there any way to select which vehicle is tracked?

@TexasBob, not right now, in a few days/weeks it will be possible.
Now it takes the first vehicle available.
Please contact me at marc@teslastics.com and I can set that manually.

teslastics.com | April 12, 2019

Thanks to the good weather, the efficiency increases considerably!
Is anyone noticing it?

Pages