Forums

When will the California drought - on roof racks - end?

When will the California drought - on roof racks - end?

Just got my Model 3 and am stunned by its awesomeness! Replacing a Mercedes SUV, the one thing I need to reach absolute Nirvana is a roof rack: kayak season is upon us. I've kept an eye on the Model 3 roof rack for months even before buying and it's like eternally out of stock. I know there's a Yakima but I'd much prefer the original Tesla. Anyone know anything about Tesla's plans? I bet if Mr. Musk just hinted at the Production folks there's demand, they'd make tons in a hurry. And: Tesla would sell more Model 3s to the outdoorsy crowd, as many don't even think a roof rack can be put on that gorgeous glass roof....

Kathy Applebaum | April 15, 2019

Interestingly, the replacement j hooks Tesla sent for the rack were made by Yakima.

johnmann | April 15, 2019

How long did it take to get the replacement hooks? I received an email a couple months ago that they would be sending them, but I haven't seen them yet.

Kathy Applebaum | April 15, 2019

Mine came about a week after the email in a plain brown padded envelope. IIRC the envelope didn't say Tesla on it, but there was a letter from Tesla inside. The only reason I didn't toss it was because I assumed my husband ordered some small odd part for his work.

cvalhalla | April 15, 2019

I really need racks and hope someone has information about them and not the hooks.

johnmann | April 15, 2019

Thanks, Kathy. I guess I better contact them.

hammer @OR-US | April 15, 2019

@cvalhalla The two are related, I suspect that until they have the hook issue completely worked out and all the previous ones replaced, they aren't going to be shipping any new racks.

@Kathy The rack is made by Yakima for Tesla.

AlasCon | April 16, 2019

Here is a link to the Yakima rack. When you total up all the bits you need: Baseline towers, Streamline cross bars, locks, clips, it comes to $617 before tax. Another reason I'd prefer the better-looking Tesla original! But I don't want to miss kayak season...
https://www.yakima.com/baseline-towers-4-pack#

mikes | April 16, 2019

I just got good news a few minutes ago! The roof rack that I ordered on February 6 finally has shipped today! So maybe the drought is going to end.

AlasCon | April 17, 2019

Yo all, good news! I kept clicking the roof rack in the Tesla Shop and lo and behold, the "Sold Out" sign disappeared! And this the day after I tweeted Tesla and tagging Mr. Musk about the issue... but I'm sure that's a coincidence :-) Anyway, it's there now, and I promptly ordered one. I've seen it on other M3s and it's SO way cooler than any other roof rack out there. And cheaper too, wow, kudos Tesla! Cowabunga, surf's up!

mrburke | April 17, 2019

Slightly off topic. Has anyone removed the rack after installation ? If so, any issues. And has anyone tried to re-install it after removal?

rmlee | April 17, 2019

get um while they are hot...

AlasCon | April 18, 2019

No kidding, rmlee, per just now Sold Out again! I wonder how long I'll have to wait to get my confirmed order delivered....