Forums

Two questions about charging

Two questions about charging

I have a LR RWD...

1. Has the LR RWD been given the update yet to increase its range to 325 miles? I got the update about the 5% power increase, but nothing yet regarding the range increase. I am wondering about this because for the second time since owning the car, I tried to charge it to 100% last night and at 100%, it said the range was 303 miles. This leads to my second question...

2. Both times I have tried to charge my car to 100%, it reaches 100% but will never stop charging. I started my charge at 90% at midnight, and at 6:30 am, it said it was at 100% but yet was still charging and said it has 30 minutes remaining of charging. Is this normal? Does the car normally stop charging once it reaches 100%? Should it take 7 hours at 28 amps to go from 90% to 100%?

Thanks in advance

Carl Thompson | April 15, 2019

Most people with the LR RWD got the range increase in the 2019.5.15 firmware. However, it appears not everyone did. We don't know why.

Even though many got the range increase in 2019.5.15 it was not in the release notes. So perhaps there will be a later version that officially brings it.

Yes, the car should stop charging at 100% and it shouldn't take 7 hours to go from 90% to 100% at 28A. Are you sure it didn't finish and restart later?

I would also recommend not letting your car sit for several hours above 90 if your not going to drive it. It could decrease the lifespan of the battery.

Bighorn | April 15, 2019

Balancing the cells can take a couple hours depending on the charging power.

RichardKJ | April 15, 2019

Charging gets really slow as you approach 100%. The only time I did a 100% charge (still in the days of 310 miles) the display said 310 miles and 40 minutes remaining. Five minutes later it was done.

LoveMyM3 | April 17, 2019

Just curious if you guys still go up to 310 miles @ 100%. I had seen that once when i got the car in 8/2018. Since then never tried. Last weekend I charged again to 100% and I only went up to 304 or so. Not sure why. LR-AWD Non P about 4500 miles on it.

Wormtown Kris | April 18, 2019

@LoveMyM3: It is most likely a calibration issue. If you let the battery wind down to around 20% or so, and then charge it close to full once or twice, that is supposed to re-calibrate the expected range. At that point charging to 100% *should* give you a more accurate number.