Forums

Misleading Model S Description?

Misleading Model S Description?

I hate to complain, but the Tesla Model S description page seems to be misleading. Am I reading something wrong?

The Model S page says:
Tesla Model S
2.4s 0-60 mph
370mi Mile Range

But when I "build" my car on the Order Now page, it seems impossible to get a car with both 370 mile range and 2.4s acceleration. The only options I see to get either of those features gives you:

Long Range Car
370mi range & 3.7s acceleration

or

Performance Car with Ludicrous Mode
345mi range & 2.4s acceleration

Bighorn | April 27, 2019

Stats don’t apply to an individual car. Never have.

Arkansawyer | April 27, 2019

Then it should say that (stats don't apply to any...) right below those stats! As I said, it's misleading as currently presented. First impressions are important. If I were a new customer, considering trusting Tesla with a big purchase, I wouldn't want to be misled right off the bat.

redacted | April 27, 2019

Don't forget the $78.000 thing.

murphyS90D | April 27, 2019

There is a fixed amount of energy available in the battery. You won't get max range if you have a lead foot. Heating and air conditioning will also reduce the range. Driving to a destination that significantly increases the elevation will reduce the range. Cold ambient temperature will reduce the range, especially below freezing. This is all common sense if you have a technical background. If not, I don't know what they teach in science classes these days.

Bighorn | April 27, 2019

These are monumental firsts across the Model S lineup. There are several iterations of Model S and each one has the specs plainly associated with them on the ordering page. A Performance Model can travel 370 miles but the EPA stats vary based on testing methods which include maximal acceleration runs. If you want to get chuffed over misleading advertising, start with Arkansas Travel and Tourism:)

NKYTA | April 27, 2019

I’m not sure you are using “chuffed” the classical way, BH?

Or has Urban Dictionary, or Millenials, changed the meaning from excited/pleased/proud?

Britts I know use it the classical way...

Bighorn | April 27, 2019

@NKYTA
It’s got diametrically opposed meanings regionally going back centuries. No need to invoke any rappers:)
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/114209/chuffed-happy-or-unhappy

NKYTA | April 27, 2019

Thanks for the primer. ;-)

I’m going with the “accepted” answer from your link, perhaps because I try to have a positive outlook.

Britt Nichols?? Like with anything rap, I have to look it up (and close my ears)!

TeslaTap.com | April 27, 2019

@Arkansawyer - Yep, I can see how it seems wrong. They are showing 3 best case items, but you can't get all three in the same car - although it never claims you can. When you order, it is clear what you get with each model. It would be better if they said "Up to" on the range or the speed numbers, but I'm not sure it falls into the deceptive category. More in the marketing hype category.

redacted | April 27, 2019

It also comes in black, white, red, gray, and blue (maybe some others). Good luck ordering that.

Haggy | May 2, 2019

You can't get all three in one car, but if you could, you couldn't use all three in one car. If the quickest model could go 370 rated miles on a charge, you'd have to avoid maximum acceleration in general. If you drive in a more restrained manner, you will find that the 370 mile version has plenty of acceleration, and the fact that it could theoretically accelerate faster if they made such a version wouldn't be relevant.