Forums

Do volume settings of 0-11 frustrate anyone else?

Do volume settings of 0-11 frustrate anyone else?

It appears that each volume level has three “clicks” before the number changes. So actually there are like 30 or more levels of volume, but the display only shows 12 (0-11).

I find this annoying because it means the screen is not as accurate as the actual volume level. It feels like an example of poor UI in order to make a joke that got old pretty quick.

EVRider | May 2, 2019

That doesn’t bother me as much as the fact that the volume level is inconsistent and I have to adjust it frequently. The Model 3 doesn’t use numbers, just a horizontal bar.

Bighorn | May 2, 2019

My 3 is a lemon. It doesn’t go to 11. That’s half the reason I bought it.

Yodrak. | May 2, 2019

" the screen is not as accurate as the actual volume level"

I don't care what the screen says, I care what my ears can hear. I turn the scroll wheel until I'm comfortable with the volume, no matter what number is showing.

SUN 2 DRV | May 2, 2019

Doesn't bother me at all. I use my ears and not my eyes when adjusting volume. In fact doing it visually is a safety hazard.

There are lots of Tesla UI foibles that both me but not this one.

Yodrak. | May 2, 2019

"I use my ears and not my eyes when adjusting volume."

You said it more eloquently than I did.

Sonofman | May 2, 2019

I haven't been past 6 but I still love the joke.

PhillyGal | May 2, 2019

I haven't been past 6 but I still love the joke.

TranzNDance | May 2, 2019

I don't go to the max so it doesn't matter what the value is. What is annoying is that the volume level is different between Tunein and Slacker so I need to switch the volume when I switch audio sources.

pkurland | May 2, 2019

I continue to wish there was automatic volume adjustment depending on speed (or cabin noise).

Uncle Paul | May 2, 2019

Classic first World problem...

BarryQ | May 2, 2019

We need an upgrade. Volume should go to 12. We've been stuck on 11 for ever! What happens when Faraday Future comes out with a volume of 13? It will put Tesla out of business!!!

booshtukka | May 2, 2019

Totally a first world problem, I agree.

My ears aren’t what they used to be. If I’m on the motors it’s normal for me to be at 8, then 2 more clicks - otherwise I can’t make out words. I care because I’m trying not go too loud and damage my hearing more and so I try to be conscious of the position.

packpike | May 2, 2019

I only use 11 for phone calls occasionally, but usually top out at 9 or 10. I can’t imagine 11 with music!

Haggy | May 2, 2019

Using a number instead of your ears implies that there's a correct number. If there's a correct number, there's no need to ever adjust the volume.

Jesperj | May 2, 2019

All other cars go only to 10. Tesla goes to 11 because it is louder that way. That's right and proper.

Tesla is doing this right, and they were nice enough to offer some intermediate steps to provide more granularity so all is as it should be.

redacted | May 2, 2019

I only use 11 when I need the that extra push off the cliff. No, I'm not frustrated with it, yes, I find it endearing.

By the way, the UI on analog volume controls that go from 0-10 or whatever also are inaccurate UIs. Nobody seems to be bothered there.