Forums

Web App for Viewing TeslaCam Videos

Web App for Viewing TeslaCam Videos

I created a web app for viewing TeslaCam dashcam and sentry video clips that I would like to share and get feedback. Works on Mac or Windows using Chrome or IE browsers.

https://sentrycam.appspot.com/

The app uses your local file system and browser - so nothing to install or upload. Click the Choose Files button and select all the mp4 video files within a directory and the app will play the videos from the left, front, and right cameras simultaneously on the screen. Click the speed button to cycle through 1x, 3x or 10x speeds. Will play all the one-minute videos in order by timestamp in the filename.

Let me know any thoughts if this is useful or ideas to make it better. It would be nice if this would just work from the Tesla browser in the car and have access to the files directly mounted from the USB TeslaCam directory.

Demo video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Z5E2trI2EB0

josia75 | May 7, 2019

Thank you for this. I tried it out and its pretty solid. I do like the autoplay feature, it makes going through all the videos less of a chore.
A couple of things I can suggest is to be able to click on a specific timestamp (I know you mentioned this in your future updates). Also it would be nice to be able to pause and rewind to a specific time in the videos. If possible it would be nice if there was a brightness options for videos at night or in poorly lit areas.
Overall I love it!

Yodrak. | May 7, 2019

"Works on Mac or Windows using Chrome or IE browsers."

Let us know when you have a Safari version. Thanks

jdeskins | May 7, 2019

Safari browser is now supported.

jimglas | May 7, 2019

really nice start

michaelebowers | May 7, 2019

Very cool! Thank you for making the community better J!

TeslaTap.com | May 8, 2019

Cool app! One suggestion is to have a few skip ahead buttons, like skip forwards/backwards 1 minute, 5 minutes, and 30 minutes.

TeslaTap.com | May 8, 2019

P.S. Added to our free app links section!

jdeskins | May 8, 2019

@TeslaTap.com - Thanks for the link!

One of the top feature requests (myself included) is ability to skip forward and/or click on the timestamps to go directly to that timeframe. Hope to have time soon to get these added.

2011ken | May 9, 2019

Very impressive. I was involved in a recent accident and this will be very helpful to my insurance company

samjonas | May 9, 2019

hey,

@jdeskins ,really great work....great features with browser compatibility.Just amazing stuff.Keep it up.

Best Regards!!!

samjonas | May 9, 2019

hey,

@jdeskins ,really great work....great features with browser compatibility.Just amazing stuff.Keep it up.

Best Regards!!!

loraflipo | May 9, 2019

I do not able to now watching the YouTube video, sorry for that. But I'm downloading now this video by using a video downloader. Anyway, if anyone face the problem like me then you should download this video for watching later. For this work, you can use vidmate. Here is the app link: https://apkrons.com/vidmate/

magdere | May 9, 2019

Very cool. Thank you. I would like to see the videos as large as possible. Also a slider bar would be great to be able to go a few seconds back and forth to double check stuff.

juvantaluiz | May 10, 2019

Wow!! That is really good. http://attorneyofwrongfuldeath.com/ I really appreciate your work. I think your app is really useful for Tesla users. They have also shared the instruction on how to use the app. Really thanks for the article.

kcheng | May 12, 2019

Thank you, it's a big help when looking thru a whole pile of vids.

robert4 | May 13, 2019

In Linux it works both with Chrome and Firefox. You might mention to get three video files at once, you have to hold down the ctrl key while selecting.
Watching all three videos at once at 3x can induce nausea. :-)

dpage001 | May 13, 2019

I just watched a bunch of my videos. A few things:
- I was using my Chrome browser, I presume it is updated
- Sometimes while playing the folder of videos, it would come to the end of a video and then stop, even though it was still in the middle of the list. No detectable pattern.
- Usually (always?) after I would finish viewing a folder, I would select the next folder for viewing and even though the speed button still said "10x", it would default to playing at 1x speed
- The default should be 10x, not 1x
-It would sure be nice if I could select the set of folders for viewing, and let it run through them all sequentially
-Not sure if the browser would allow it, but a button to delete the videos that were just viewed would be awesome

Nice work! A real time saver compared to viewing them all manually!

Yodrak. | May 13, 2019

"Safari browser is now supported."

Thank you!

jimglas | May 16, 2019

bump

jdeskins | May 16, 2019

Here's some of the updates to the web app since initial release.

* Enlarge any camera video by clicking on it. Return to side-by-side layout by clicking the enlarged video.
* Go directly to a point in time by clicking on the timestamp from the list.
* Resize the videos automatically when resizing the browser window.

jimglas | May 17, 2019

bump

bwalaschek | May 17, 2019

I can't get the video to play through the TeslaCam Video WebApp Player. I've tried multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Edge), and none of them will play the video -- probably because I don't have the right codec.

LVC says that the video files are encoded with H.265 (MPEG-H Part2/HVEC (H.265) (hvc1).

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

bwalaschek | May 18, 2019

I’ve learned that owners with HW3, have video that’s encoded with H.265. Maybe this app doesn’t work for HW3 owners yet?

jdeskins | May 18, 2019

Looks like video from the newer HW3 cars are encoded with H.265. Currently that is supported only on Edge browser in Windows 10 and Safari for Mac. Try viewing in one of the supported browsers.

It was mentioned in other forums that Microsoft has provided an extension to install if your Windows doesn't have that codec. https://lifehacker.com/how-to-view-hevc-or-heic-files-in-windows-10-for-...

I've received some sample dashcam files with this codec and will be testing further.

jdeskins | May 19, 2019

Here's the direct link to Microsoft HEVC Video Extensions for those that may need it.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manu...

caraballo_i | May 19, 2019

Hello Tesla family, i know this is a specific forum so hopefully someone can answer a question for me. I have a Blackvue dashcam and i need it installed. Years ago i had Calibred from California come over to NJ and they installed 2 sets for me. I cannot get them to respond to my emails and phone calls. Does anyone know a company that installs dashcams? Thanks,
my email is caraballo_i@msn.com

bwalaschek | May 20, 2019

@jdeskins. Thanks, you fixed it! The videos play smoothly in the Edge viewer with the Microsoft HVEC Video Extensions installed. Now all of the owners with Model 3 HW3 can enjoy your web app too!

Thanks again!

jeffmeacham | May 28, 2019

@jdeskins Great stuff! Any chance for a slide bar above the videos to allow us to move forward or better yet back in the video file. If you miss something you have to start over and pause it. Would be great to move the video back and forth in time. Thanks again! Will donate.

Mariner711 | June 1, 2019

I tried it this morning using Chrome on my mac but the videos wouldn't render or play. I switched to Safari and it worked fine.

jdeskins | June 8, 2019

I pushed out some more features for the TeslaCam Video WebApp Player. Your browser should pick up the changes the next time you visit the website. Thanks for those that have donated and supplied great feedback.

"Jump to Event" button displays if the app thinks the videos came from a Sentry Mode event where 10 minutes of videos were saved. It jumps to about one minute before the end of all videos (seems to be where most events have happened).

A slider bar is also now available to easily move back and forth within a video. All three cameras move in-sync with the slider.

Previous updates included:
* Enlarge any camera video by clicking on it. Return to side-by-side layout by clicking the enlarged video.
* Go directly to a time by clicking on the timestamp from the list.
* Resize the videos automatically when resizing the browser window.

Prames | June 9, 2019

The slider is helpful, thanks.

Suggestion: It's good that I can select a bunch of the videos, and play them in sequence. But between each pair (once a minute), the screen "jumps" (the web page text below the three video windows moves up and then back down). It would be nice if this was more seamless. Probably you're destroying and recreating the three video windows between each pair of v, perhaps you could avoid this.

ChicagoJay | June 9, 2019

I'm guessing this doesn't work on AP1 Teslas, like my 2015 SP90DL. Could you please confirm that? Maybe even have a small blurb on your website, listing the requirements, would be cool.

Fantastic-looking app - thanks so much!

rxlawdude | June 9, 2019

@ChicagoJay, confirmed. You will not have sentry mode.

sean.hickson | July 14, 2019

Awesome work - makes going through the recordings so much easier.

mmoskowitz | July 18, 2019

The video playback is not working for me.
I can play the individual MP4 files just fine directly, but in the Sentrycam app only shows the three windows side by side, all dark, with the file names displayed only, and no playback.
Am I missing something?

TranzNDance | July 19, 2019

On Mac, I just saw blank squares in Chrome. Worked in Safari. Some of the footage froze, so I'll have to check the files later to see if the issue is with the files.

TranzNDance | July 19, 2019

Thank you for sharing this app!

mmoskowitz | July 20, 2019

I tried Firefox after trying Chrome and still, nothing but black boxes. Anyone: please advise

jdeskins | July 20, 2019

@mmoskowitz - It may be related to video from the newer HW3 cars are encoded with H.265. Currently that is supported only on Edge browser in Windows 10 and Safari for Mac. Try viewing in one of the supported browsers.

jdeskins | July 20, 2019

Just pushed out an update to the TeslaCam Video web app - https://sentrycam.appspot.com. Added the ability to view ALL video files from all the saved events in the TeslaCam directory. This should speed up browsing through all those files!

Some browsers, such as Chrome, will display an extra dialog box to verify the site is trusted before loading the files. This was added into Chrome as extra security step and no way to disable that prompt. That file dialog may also say "Upload" - even though the files are playing from the local file system.

Also improved display and functionality on mobile browsers. Mobile browsers don't allow selecting multiple or nested directories. When viewing the app on those browsers - it gives the option to select all files within a single directory (same functionality as before). To view on your phone you just need an adaptor cable to connect the USB drive to the phone and load the website in a browser.

This update changed a lot of code in the application. Although tested across several devices, let me know if anyone comes across a scenario that isn't working as expected.

Thanks again for all the comments, feature requests, and donations! All are appreciated. It's also been great seeing the international use of this website to view Sentry events. About half of users are coming from outside the United States.

bsolley | July 22, 2019

So help me to understand where you are getting the data (video footage) from? I know you can plug a USB Stick into the secondary USB port underneath the phone charger plate and it's supposed to record stuff from sentry footage, but I didn't realize it would record dash cam and the left/right cam. Does it record this stuff, even if you don't have sentry mode enabled? I'm assuming it only records the dash cam and left/right cam during driving? Would love some more details on this!

EVRider | July 23, 2019

@bsolley: Both the dashcam and Sentry Mode record from the front and left/right “repeater” cameras.

Efleck | July 24, 2019

I am looking for help with my TeslaCam issue. Bought a MX four months ago and immediately installed a 30 GB USB drive formatted with a folder named TeslaCam. Started recording immediately with both the forward camera and well as the Sentry Mode. These files were stored in two subfolders in the TeslaCam folder: Recent Clips and Saved Clips. Every month, approximately, I removed the USB and browsed the clips. (It was fun watching people look at my car while it was in a parking lit.) Then I deleted the files in the two sub-folders for the next month recording period. However, yesterday I got a warning on the MX screen that my USB was full. So I removed the USB and looked at it. Both the Recent Clips and Saved Clips subfolders were EMPTY showing not files and no bytes in them). However, the Find Info function on my MAC showed that the TeslaCam folder on this USB was full (with almost 30 GB). As I look at the contents on this TeslaCam USB I find only the SanDisk SecureAccess folder, and SanDisc exe file and the TeslaCam folder. Nothing else appears. So, I suspect I have files that were copied from my MX to my USB but they are not showing up now. Has anyone seen this happen? My other USB hold all my music and it works fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Earl

EVRider | July 24, 2019

@Efleck: There's no warning message when the USB fills up (that I know of), so I'm not sure what you're referring to. People would like a warning message, because the USB just stops working.

The reason your USB appears full is because you deleted the files but didn't empty the trash folder, so the files are still there on the USB (but hidden). You'll need to empty the trash folder while the USB is plugged in to your Mac. You can also just reformat the drive (FAT32) using Disk Utility and recreate the TeslaCam folder.

By the way, 30GB is probably too small if you plan to use Sentry Mode. 128GB or larger highly recommended.

Also, to avoid corrupting files on the USB, always do the following before removing it from the car:

1. Pause dashcam recording (hold the dashcam icon until the red dot turns gray).
2. Pause Sentry Mode recording (touch the Sentry Mode icon if there's a red dot displayed).
3. Wait about 20 seconds to let any USB write operations finish.

Efleck | July 24, 2019

EVRider: Thanks for your response. I DID get a message that the USB was full??? However, I failed to take the precautions you suggest when I removed the USB. I presume that this failure would only corrupt the files on the USB, not damage the Tesla??? Just a while ago I reformatted the USB and reinstalled it. Then, I went for a short test drive and discovered several things happening. First, for about five minutes I got a Tesla error message (the exclamation mark in a red circle) informing me that my USB had too slow a write speed. After stopping the MX and doing an errand I started the car again. The error message was gone but now the TeslaCam icon is missing. I went home and removed the USB, again not following your instructions as I had not read your message yet, and found that I had a lot of files in the Saved and Recent subfolders. However, they were only of my garage as if the Sentry Mode was ignoring the check box to not use Sentry Mode in the my home garage. I will get a much larger USB and try the system again.

TeslaTap.com | July 24, 2019

A bad drive or anything you do should not have any risk to your Tesla. Pulling it out without first turning it off will at a minimum screw up the last 3 video files. At worse, in some cases the drive will get locked into "read only" mode and can't be used for a dashcam any longer. In this worse case, a drive format will not fix it either.

EVRider | July 25, 2019

Is anyone else seeng messages about the USB being full or too slow? I haven’t heard anyone else mention those yet. Possibly introduced in a recent update?

@Efleck: Which firmware version do you have? Regardless Sentry Mode being on even when you’re home, I’ve seen that happen a couple of times, and it might have been right after installing a software update. However, since the dashcam records whenever the car is on, the garage footage might have been from that. You can tell if Sentry Mode is on by the red dot in the Sentry Mode icon.

EVRider | July 25, 2019

People have reported seeing the new USB messages in the Model 3 forum, apparently introduced with 24.4. Unfortunately, some people are seeing the “write speed too slow” message with USB drives that should be fast enough.

TeslaTap.com | July 25, 2019

Actually, it's cool that Tesla is testing or validating the speed of the drive. Many drives are dogs, and it doesn't surprise me that the source of so many video issues are related to crummy drives. Drives are often rated at peak write speed, and the continuous write speeds can be dramatically lower due to the way flash drives internally work.

It doesn't cost much to get a fast drive from a major manufacturer. Avoid names you've never heard of before and almost every flash drive sold today on auction sites are fakes or crap. Here's a lot more on selecting a drive that will work and how to avoid problem ones: https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/

Efleck | July 27, 2019

Response to EVRider: I have the latest update. 2019.24.4

I am still getting my exclamation mark warning on the screen that my write speed is too slow. However, I am still recording mp4 files.

Since I have been told that my 30 GB has insufficient capacity, I bought a 256 GB with 1340 MB/s write speed San Disk. I hope that this new USB has the capacity and the write speed. I have not yet added the TeslaCam folder. Am waiting until someone tells me that 130 MB/s write speed is OK.

Pages