Forums

Dashcam icon has disappeared

Dashcam icon has disappeared

For some reason, the dashcam icon has disappeared from my display. Not just the red dot showing recording, the whole icon. Can't find it anywhere. It will still let me select sentry mode under the security tab, but no icon. I am on 2019.12.1.2. Any ideas?

Larry.ho168 | May 13, 2019

Happened to mine after the recent upgrade. Took the USB out and let Windows repair it. Plug it back in and the DashCam icon re-appears.

EVRider | May 13, 2019

I think you can enable Sentry Mode even without a USB (in which case you get the alarm but no video recording). Probably an issue with the USB — make sure the TeslaCam folder is spelled exactly that way (case sensitive).

TM3Q | May 13, 2019

A few days ago I did the same as Larry.ho168 and it comes back

Frank99 | May 13, 2019

I've had that happen - pull the Flash Drive, put it into a computer and repair it (or reformat it, as needed). You may find that the flash drive can't be formatted - this will happen after awhile because it wears out. Then, the only solution is to buy a new flash drive.

wiscy67 | May 13, 2019

This happened to me a couple weeks ago on a new flash drive. Windows didn't recognize it and the Amazon vendor quickly shipped a replacement.

gmr6415 | May 14, 2019

Some times all you need to do is reboot without taking out the drive and the icon will come back. That is unless the drive is full.

jforbes77 | May 14, 2019

I have had this issue happen to me since the latest update, only happens after I was using Sentrymode

CharleyBC | May 14, 2019

I’ve noticed my icon doesn’t appear until I’ve unlocked the car with my PIN.

TeslaTap.com | May 14, 2019

IMPORTANT - Don't forget to turn off recording (long press on icon) before removing the drive. Pulling the drive out without stopping recording is a great way to trash the drive. Sometimes Format will recover it, but not always.

What happens is in the middle of writing to the drive, the power is lost and for a small fraction of a second the write can occur anywhere on the drive, more often at the start of the drive that takes it out of commision.

rickhuizinga | August 29, 2019

I had this issue, and rebooting the screen restored the dashcam icon.

drrock75k | August 29, 2019

My dash cam icon is whimsical, appearing and disappearing for unknown (to me) reasons. I've also found that sometimes an 'event' recorded by Sentry mode is just me getting back into the car.

taylorld75 | December 29, 2019

Sorry to bring this topic back...But my dashcam continuously disappears. I used a 128GB MicroSD card. Reformatted it on a Mac, and plugged it in a small reader that plugs into the Tesla. Icon returns, but next day, icon goes away. Pull out card and insert to computer, the disk utility says it's too corrupt to fix. So I got a 128GB thumb drive. Formatted it, put in Tesla, and dash cam icon returns. Next day, icon disappears (but drive is NOT corrupted). I also understand that you must hold the dash cam icon to properly remove the card/thumbdrive, but after the icon disappears, there's "nothing to press" to properly remove it...so I just pull it out.

Hense | January 22, 2020

I've had the same issue and it appeared to start the first time I ejected the drive after selecting "Save on Honk" under the Security tab. I ejected the drive by pressing on the icon and waiting for the flash. Viewed all the video on my computer. Then reinserted into the car and no icon appears. I rebooted the car and nothing. So I took out the drive and reformatted the Micro SD card (Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb). Nothing. Ordered a new micro sd card, nothing. Ordered another brand USB SD Card reader. Nothing, no icon at all no matter what I do. I tried to do a bug report but it doesn't seem to be working since the Christmas Eve voice command update. I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions are appreciated!

TeslaTap.com | January 22, 2020

@Hense - Not sure if the first SD card failed. When you reformatted you did use FAT32 (not eFAT)? Also install the folder called "TeslaCam" in that case style. You did all this once when it was working, so I suspect you did it again with the new drive, but just in case.

Also, try the other USB port. Maybe also turn off Honk to save - perhaps a buggy feature.

andy | January 22, 2020

Very occasionally I get a message saying the USB drive isn’t fast enough. A reboot of the car clears the message and the problem goes away for a while (as in thousand plus miles and a couple of weeks).

Did wonder if there’s an occasional correlation with some housekeeping needed on the USB to clear space at the same time as the video being written. Tinkered around a bit and I think it’s more likely to be something in a recent software release than my USB stick. To be able to drive 5 hours at a time and not get the problem suggests the car can normally write to the stick with no issues.

Hense | January 23, 2020

I did format to FAT32 each time and make the TeslaCam folder. I got a 3rd USB SD card reader yesterday (Anker Brand) and reformatted the original 128gb sd card and everything works again. I put the SD card back into the other two readers, both Sandisk Mobile Mate 3.0 and the car wouldn't read them again. Really weird since I had been using the Sandisk readers for months.

Anyways, happy to have my Tesla Cam back! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

davesag | April 1, 2020

My Dashcam recording stopped working the the other day and I've not been able to get it to work again. I've tried multiple drives, all of which were previously working, as well as a brand new 64GB SanDisk USB stick. All formatted as Fat32 and all with the TeslaCam folder. I've tried reformatting the drives. The issue seems to be the USB slots in the car itself. Nothing I plug into those is recognised at all. The power light that shows on the drive when it's plugged into my Mac does not show when it's plugged into the car's USB slots (either of the front ones).

I've even tried rebooting the car, and I've updated the car's software to 2020.8.3 (which came out yesterday) but nothing seems to fix the issue. I've resorted to logging a service request which could mean an interstate drive next week to go sort this out.

EVRider | April 2, 2020

@davesag: Sounds like a hardware issue, but try doing a power off reboot following the instructions on this page: https://www.tesla.com/support/software-updates

FISHEV | April 2, 2020

@davesag | April 1, 2020 My Dashcam recording stopped working the the other day and I've not been able to get it to work again."

The two times that's happened to me, the flash drives had failed. I could plug them into the iMac, see them, reformat them but they still would not work in the Model 3.

I got this and so far it has held up.

https://puretesla.com/

teslamazing | April 2, 2020

I got this and so far it has held up.

https://puretesla.com/

$128 for $49 lmao. They look like some knock-off wuhan USBs. I would NOT trust those.

TeslaTap.com | April 2, 2020

@davesag - I'd try to see if the port may have failed. On one of the formatted drives, without the TeslaCam folder, add a few songs, such as MP3 or FLAC. Insert the drive and see if the car can read the files and play them. Try on both ports. If that works, it indicates the USB ports are working, and something else is amiss. If they fail, then it's likely a hardware issue, and you may need to have service fix it.

Also, be sure you use "TeslaCam" in that exact case. "TESLACAM" or "Teslacam" will not work for the dashcam directory.

jd4714 | April 2, 2020

This happened to me after a software update, can’t remember which one. Rebooting, powering off/on didn’t work, the USB ports were dead. Scheduled service and I think they did some sort of hard reboot by disconnecting the battery that fixed it, while I waited. No problem since then.

curenssy | April 16, 2020

i have 2 issues and any help will be greatly appreciated.

i have a 32gb scan disk flash drive and my Tesla recognizes it and i can play music but the dash cam icon does'nt come up. It only comes up when i put the car in park.

Secondly i have a 128gb scan disk flash drive and I've formatted it to fat32 i have the folder name TeslaCam and i don't get the dash cam icon when trying to record either, now here's the strange thing and let me know if i'm doing something wrong but the Tesla recognizes the 128 flash drive but as soon as i put all my music on it the car doesn't recognize it anymore.

this is frustrating why can't this just be plug and play.

TeslaTap.com | April 17, 2020

@curenssy - Really annoying to post the identical item in multiple threads. It's the sort of behaviour we see with spambots, although I hope you are not one. Other threads you posted in had answers for you.

David | May 8, 2020

Dashcam Icon not showing in my late 2018 Tesla Model X, we got the update to see the dashcam videos at the car's screen and I only see the sentry mode icon to turn it on or off but the dashcam icon viewer has never shown, does anyone knows why?

EVRider | May 8, 2020

@David: I don't know if you're saying the dashcam icon is completely missing, or the dashcam viewer isn't working the way you expect it to.

If there's no dashcam icon at all, it means the car isn't detecting a properly-formatted USB drive with a TeslaCam folder on it. If you're talking about the viewer, that only shows saved dashcam or Sentry Mode clips -- it doesn't show the unsaved video in Recent Clips.