Forums

rust

rust

6,000 miles and bottom back outside edges of front wheel wells have had their paint stripped and have started to rust. Anyone else? Discussed with Tesla or just shut up and repair it. But seems quite early....

SteveWin1 | May 14, 2019

I'd bring it up with Tesla. They may not do anything, but maybe they'll put a little strip of protective film in that area in the future if its a common issue to prevent damage/rust.

Lorenzryanc | May 14, 2019

Sounds like you have curb rash. If you TOUCH A curb with a tire, you'll hit the rim too. It'll scrap the paint and expose metal, which will rust. Google Model 3 rim rash and you can compare to see if that's what it is. There's a cheap paint to fit the rash that I just used that'll work fine.

Magic 8 Ball | May 14, 2019

They are alloy wheels, no rust.

geedub1023 | May 14, 2019

I think the OP is talking about the wheel wells, not the rims/wheels. A picture would be helpful.

"bottom back outside edges" indeed hard to picture what OP means, but outside edges triggers my rim rash alarm unfortunately. My wife just tapped a curb and it was a sad day :(

Either way OP, if paint is worn off, there's got to be something rubbing it off.

HA! Wheel wells! I missed that key word. OP, Turn the wheels full left, and look to see if it's touching anything. Then do right. If paint is worn off, something's rubbing it.

Sorry for my misread.

Magic 8 Ball | May 14, 2019

Ah, yes this has been reported by some. Those that drive on gravel or dirty roads will have the paint blasted off by the stuff being kicked up by the wheels.

Also, where does the OP live? Northern, cold winter areas known for salt/chemicals used for roadways which promote rust if not keep clean?

Kept clean....my bad!

lilbean | May 14, 2019

@Lorenzryanc I know a great rim repair guy if you are in LA.

I'm in Delaware :/ but thanks lilbean! Luckily it was a light tap, the Ford paint pen covered it nicely.

Manjushr | May 14, 2019

thanks, yes winter roads here. photo here. https://ibb.co/dPh7nD9

drift | May 14, 2019

I thought that the body panels were aluminum. Maybe not.

tbd2001_01 | May 14, 2019

probably time for splash guards

TAC | May 14, 2019

Some are aluminum some are not.. you would think the bottom side edge runners would be, they are not.

terminator9 | May 14, 2019

How about a picture?

Bighorn | May 14, 2019

Speaking of aluminum, I’d never seen where they started adding steel, so I just took a magnet to the car. One other not mentioned benefit of the Model S—no rust worries.

Steel: front fender, rear fender, trunk
Aluminum: frunk, doors

Pepperidge | May 14, 2019

I am sure it won't last 1M miles with this design even in drier climate.

Bighorn | May 14, 2019

@Pepperidge
I’m guessing you don’t have a million miles in you to find out. I’ll have to let you know. Lead car is at around 530k miles now.

CharleyBC | May 14, 2019

That photo helped. Interesting. I’m thinking some clear adhesive strip along that inner edge to protect from chipping. Not gorgeous, but better than lost paint and rust.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | May 14, 2019

@Bighorn,
Do you drive a white M3 with bighorns mounted to the hood? Saw one recently at a SC.

Bighorn | May 14, 2019

@Neo
No, but there’s a Texas car with Longhorns:)

kcheng | May 14, 2019

Yep, sandblasted. Check your rockers, and look all the way back in front of your rear wheels, the sand gets blasted all the way back there.

You definitely need to remove the rust, touch that up, put on mud guards, maybe even put PPF on your rockers.

I've already put mud guards on mine, the carbon fiber ones from protectmytesla.com, and will put PPF on my rockers.

Front one:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qda1soapu3q2ena/IMG_1909.jpg?dl=0
Rear one:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bovylo0eeupfpic/IMG_1911.jpg?dl=0
First rainy day:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfluuq45basyt0j/IMG_1940.jpg?dl=0

TeslaMarque | May 14, 2019

My old (2015) Jeep Grand Cherokee had clear plastic/vinyl guards placed in these areas from the new from factory. Perhaps Tesla can start applying these if this is a problem for the Model 3. I guess no one will really know for a few years until a lot of Model 3s, especially in cold climates, have been time tested in the real world. These are the kind of disadvantages a newer manufacturer will have.