Forums

Who do you let or not let borrow your Tesla?

Who do you let or not let borrow your Tesla?

Do people ask you if they can use your car for the day or for a night out? Craziness!

ElectricAlex | May 21, 2019

Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

If you don’t have friends you trust with a vehicle i feel sorry for you.

jamilworm | May 21, 2019

If I had a friend that owned a Tesla, I would trust them with mine. Otherwise I would be worried about them adapting to regen braking and lack of creep.

fazman | May 21, 2019

My wife won’t drive my P3D+

I would be worried about loaning out my car to someone who wasn’t a very very very close friend

jamilworm | May 21, 2019

I would let my wife drive it after a quick lesson, but shes afraid of it so she never wants to drive it.

kevin_rf | May 21, 2019

My wife drove mine yesterday for the first time, it was scary...glad today her ice is out of the shop.

ST70 | May 21, 2019

Jake Johnson

theo.lagendijk | May 22, 2019

I let anyone of my friends (with a drivers license) drive my Model 3. Only requirement is that their first drive is with me on the passengers seat so I can explain the most exciting features.
My friends all know how much the car means to me and will drive it responsibly.

ODWms | May 22, 2019

My wife won’t drive my Tesla either. Works out for me because I love driving it. As far as loaning it out, I switched with a friend for a week after I had the car about a month. I drove his BMW 430i convertible, and he drove my PD3. Longest week of my life. Couldn’t wait to get my car back. Valets don’t touch my car. If a place I go to has mandatory valeting, I’ll tip someone to let me leave it at front and take my key, or park somewhere offsite.

gmr6415 | May 22, 2019

@jamilworm, +1, My wife doesn't like to drive it - too many distractions according to her. She has only driven it 3 times since we purchased it last August. Two of those times I was in the car. First to show her the basics, the second time was a 4 hour drive home from the hospital after I had a major surgery. The only time she has driven it alone was to pick up food to bring back to the hotel room after my surgery.

She loves the acceleration and handling but won't drive it alone. She doesn't like the technology. I'm sure she would drive it alone if she had to. I made up a valet instruction card for her since she rarely drives it, and she does have her own profile if she could remember how to get to it. Probably not.

I simply don't loan out my cars, period. To me it's like politics and religion - you don't share them with friends and family. Allow someone to test drive it with me in it? Sure.

M3phan | May 22, 2019

I have several dear friends and a few longtime close ones, but sorry, none of them are driving my car. And my wife too does not care to drive it. Says it’s too distracting as well. She just barely tolerates her iPhone. Haha.

rdh37 | May 22, 2019

There are maybe 10 people in the world I would let drive my car outside of my immediate family. Only one has expressed interest in driving it. He will next time he comes to where I live. My wife finally drove the car after we had it for 3 months. She loved it and yes she did the test drive too before we bought it. Now I am afraid that she will want to drive it more and I will "get stuck" with her Audi SUV. Kind of like going from a thoroughbred to Elsie the cow.

On a side note, we are taking a road trip to the Blue Ridge mountains soon. We will share the driving. First time since I was a teenager; a long, long time ago, that I am upset about having to share driving duties. Have a nice day.

texxx | May 22, 2019

"...taking a road trip to the Blue Ridge mountains soon."

I remember driving (more like drifting) my Triumph TR-6 through the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not sure how I survived it, but man was it fun! I would LOVE to do that again in my M3.

slingshot18 | May 22, 2019

The same people I would let borrow any of my cars.

rdh37 | May 22, 2019

If I tried drifting my 3 with my wife in the car, my life would end. SHE would kill me. Besides, I am a little, well a lot, too old, for that kind of stunt. Would be fun though.

hokiegir1 | May 22, 2019

Hubby gets to drive mine. We've let others drive it with supervision, but not allowed anyone to borrow it without us there. Considering my sister-in-law hit a tree in our Santa Fe backing out of her driveway (big dent over the rear wheel), we've told her absolutely not. ;)

Techy James | May 22, 2019

Even before I got my M3, I didn't let people drive my car. So not allowing my friends borrow my car is not due to current car. I treat borrowing car like borrowing money. Friendships last longer if they aren't borrowed. Now if they need a cup of sugar, then they can have it.

JAD | May 22, 2019

basically anyone who wants to, unlike my Porsche they can't burn out the clutch, miss shift or overrev the engine. Not really much you can do besides crash it to hurt it.

My wife will only drive Tesla's, but mostly the S, not the 3.

lordmiller | May 22, 2019

I only let people into my car under protest, letting them drive it, not happening!

texxx | May 22, 2019

"Besides, I am a little, well a lot, too old, for that kind of stunt. Would be fun though."

Sadly I'm getting too old for it too. Now I'd just enjoy the scenery - it really is a pretty drive.

ICEMELT | May 22, 2019

@ElectricAlex I really like the way you put it.

I would let my friends borrow as long as I have sat with them once in Tesla and/or have confidence in their driving capabilities

There are friends who I can trust with my wife but not my M3 :-)

peldor427 | May 22, 2019

I'll let pretty much anyone test drive my car with me in it, after giving them a ride and explaining a few things. It's how the word is spread without advertising and dealerships to allow for test drives. I would be cautious letting someone borrow it without me in it... someone I knew and trusted well, just like any other car. But I'd make sure they knew not to panic if the screen went blank, since that is probably the most risky situation for a newer driver , even though it doesn't happen very often.

My wife has driven it several times when we need to switch cars. She doesn't like to drive it because the differences from a regular car make her nervous, which makes me nervous. But I think the more she drives it, the more she likes it. :P If an option with a higher ground clearance for a more reasonable price becomes available (maybe the Y, TBD), we may be a 2 EV family. :)

geedub1023 | May 22, 2019

Family and friends would be fine to borrow my M3. If I didn't trust them, they wouldn't be around me.

rdh37 | May 22, 2019

@texx, yes time marches on. The scenery is indeed wonderful. We are going

1. Just to get away
2. Scenery
3. Golf
4. Road trip in the 3 - 3 hours, more or less, for us
5. Wineries and distilleries

Put that in any order you like. Every time we are in the 3 wife giggles when I accelerate hard. Now that she drove it, she has experienced the "Tesla Grin." Should make for an interesting trip when she gets behind the wheel. Best saving grace, when we hit the alcohol trail, I will drive as she is our official "taster." Who knew I would ever prefer driving to drinking? Then again, I get to drink after driving.

johnw | May 22, 2019

I've only let 1 other person drive it besides my wife and I was in the car at the time. Can't bring myself to let others take the baby just yet (only 6 months old). Maybe when she graduates from high school (my car that is).

hokiegir1 | May 22, 2019

@rdh37 - Be sure to stop at Bold Rock Cidery! I'm not sure what they have right now, but last summer, they had a coffee-based cider that was amazing! I was iffy on it before tasting it, but ended up really enjoying it-- so much, we brought home a case of it.

jimglas | May 22, 2019

My wife drivesit whenever she wants. I have had several people drive when I am in the car. I am sure the kids will drive it when they visit. Other than that, probably not. I worry they would be distracted by the differences from an ICE car. It took me a while to get comfortable (not a complaint, just an observation).

Tallulah | May 22, 2019

My husband, any friend with a Tesla. I used to let me 17 year-old borrow it to charge at school or for prom. But not since her THIRD accident. Oops.

charles.a.braun | May 22, 2019

Wife = Yes
Service Center Personnel = Yes
A car enthusiast former co-worker = Yes, but only with me riding shotgun
Adult Daughter = No
Other Family (Sisters, Cousins, Neices, Nephews, In-Laws etc) = No
Other Friends, Neighbors, Co-Workers = No
Valet = No
Anyone else on the face of the Earth = No

rob | May 22, 2019

Wife - yes, but she won't
Oldest son - yes
Middle sone - yes
Youngest son - Hell No!!! He drives like I did when I was 18.
Coworkers - no
Friends - don't have any

M3NOICE | May 22, 2019

I rarely let my wife drive my Model 3. She can drive her Model 3... ;-)
Friends/coworkers that are interested to try it, yes, with me in passenger seat. I've got some referrals like this.
Others, not so much...

howard | May 22, 2019

I have let a couple of Porche club buddies take her for a spin but that is it. My wife after driving it a couple of times will not drive it anymore. There is not much she likes about it and is bothered by the differences required in driving it. "Why is it not like our other cars? I thought it was new." Less for me to worry about so a good thing.

jdcollins5 | May 22, 2019

My wife, so far, is the only one that has driven my car without me in the car. She is anti-tech so only uses TACC and she drives like the grandma she is!

I have let my four kids drive with me in the car multiple times. I would not have a problem with any of them taking my car. They know how protective I am so I know they would be extra careful.

I would not let anyone drive it without a test drive with me first and explaining how everything works.

Mikael13 | May 22, 2019

My wife doesn’t want to drive my TM3 either. I guess coz she knows how much I love the car and would probably divorce her if she scratched it.

As for friends, I would IF I was in the passenger seat, sure... punch it if you want. But to actually let them borrow it for a day or two, uhmm nope. Not with my ~60k investment.

Rutrow 3 | May 22, 2019

Family members: Yes
Coworkers: Yes
People on my block: Yes
Valet: No (why would you let a valet borrow your car?!? I'd let 'em park it! [w/ valet mode acitvated of course])
Jamilworm's wife: Yes (she sounds like the responsible type)

It's just a car.

hokiegir1 | May 22, 2019

@Rutrow - oh, yeah -- we've valeted as well. I don't even bother with valet mode.

Rutrow 3 | May 22, 2019

@hokie, valet mode just so PIN to drive doesn't foil them returning my car.

TabascoGuy | May 22, 2019

@charles.a.braun - Can I borrow your car for a few minutes? I'll bring it right back...

Just put me on your list between "Service Center Personnel" and "A car enthusiast former co-worker" as "Trusted Friend".

charles.a.braun | May 22, 2019

@Tabasco - Sorry, but you fall under "Anyone else on the face of the Earth = No"

@Charles - Oh well, I tried. All kidding aside, great list sir.

calvin940 | May 22, 2019

I'll let anyone I know drive my M3, but only with me in it. No loaners yet.

FISHEV | May 22, 2019

I swap my buddy for his F-250 when I have to tow my boat. F-250 costs a lot more than my Model 3.

Sunergy-NJ | May 22, 2019

The only person who will drive my Tesla besides a couple valets here and there when I'm really forced to, is the guy who finds my dead body in it. Ok to dark?

ODWms | May 22, 2019

Interesting reading through the comments by guys whose wives have yet to drive the car, like mine. I don't know what it is. Maybe a number of women aren't really into the tech. We have quite a few women here, so I don't really get that one.

Hey, more for me!

M3phan | May 22, 2019

@charles.a.braun, spot on list for me.