Forums

Tesla Now Offers Wireless Phone Charger!

Tesla Now Offers Wireless Phone Charger!

Pepperidge | June 4, 2019

$100+$25 (tariff)?

CharleyBC | June 4, 2019

The text is short on details, but the photo shows two USB plugs. Bummer. Why not one plug that could power both sides? So full use of this device would mean you couldn’t use dashcam or Sentry. Or am I missing something?

Kary993 | June 4, 2019

Use a USB splitter on each side and you can do everything you want.

Joshan | June 4, 2019

because if it all runs from one plug, both phones charge at half speed. You are better off with a spiller as said above.

SoCalDriver | June 4, 2019

Looks just like the Nomad I have, similar price too.

Mike83 | June 4, 2019

I wonder if it is a fast charger for the Pixel 3 XL If so I would get it.

gmr6415 | June 4, 2019

You could connect it to a power bank. I use the 32,000mAh Rav Power. https://www.ravpower.com/c/power-bank.html

32000mAh = 11 Days of Power
3 iSmart 2.0 USB Ports with a Total Output of 6A
High-Density Li-polymer Battery
60% Faster Recharge

This thing is like a phone supercharger with it's 6A output that will automatically adjust to the maximum charging rate for your phone. I don't know if that would still be true with a cordless charger connected. I would assume that would be limited to the limitations of the cordless charger itself.

It allows you to charge even if the car is off or you can remove it and take it with you.

The downside I've found is that although it has pass through charging technology (phone charging while the power bank is being charged) I have to periodically reach into the console and hit the reset button.

A month or so ago I disconnected it from the USB port in the car to purposely discharge it. When I recently checked the charge status 4 out of 5 of the indicator lights still light up. It'll probably take me 2 months to run it down charging my iPhone.

wiscy67 | June 4, 2019

It's a nice addition for Tesla but on the pricey side at over 2x the price of the TapTes.

Mike83 | June 4, 2019

I can see the price being what it is as it is a custom fit for the console.

OutOfTheStars | June 4, 2019

I just ordered one. Hoping the fit and finish to be better than the ones that are offered else where.

bcb2220 | June 4, 2019

you can just get a teptes on amazon for $50 lol

alisse | June 4, 2019

I can't speak to the Taptes, but the reviews on Amazon seem decent. Folks seem to universally think that the Nomad II is best-in-class, and this is competitively priced with that. I think for the same money, people would prefer to go OEM.

sky-pilot | June 4, 2019

Interesting... TapTes was offering a 10amp wireless charger for $89 as well as the 5amp for $49. Not seeing the 10amp on their website any longer.

thedrisin | June 4, 2019

With any of these wireless chargers, you cannot do Qualcomm fast charge unless you plug into the 12V outlet. (@sky-pilot that is how to get 10A.)

derrickdharris | June 4, 2019

This is expensive when you can get others on Amazon for $50. I got this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QTH11SR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_... and have been very happy with it. Plus, it comes with two splitters.

SteveWin1 | June 4, 2019

For $13, you can get a 10 watt Qi charging coil with a USB C connector on Amazon. You could attach it to the back of the phone holder that came with the car pretty easily and I bet it would work as well as most of these more expensive chargers. One of the reviewers said they used it on their Model 3 and they love it. Probably worth trying for 1/10th the cost.

Mike83 | June 4, 2019

I don't like cheap. I prefer functional design and beauty. I also don't mind paying Tesla esp if it fits nicely with less connections. Beware of the recalls on some of the cheap chargers. Wouldn't want to start a car fire.

neylus | June 4, 2019

@mike83- I'm with ya on that one. The Nomad is great but the finish is ever so slightly aftermarketish and the lid/cover doesn't want to close properly. Figure I'll get the Tesla version and sell which ever I prefer least.

OutOfTheStars | June 4, 2019

I ordered one this morning keeping trust in Tesla's design. I would not mind paying a premium for an OEM accessory.

jweiner | June 4, 2019

I wonder how this compares to the Jeda charger?

SteveWin1 | June 4, 2019

USB ports built into the bottom of the wireless charger would have been pretty cool since this takes up both USB ports and no USB splitters are included. They're not that expensive to buy, but for the price Tesla is charging, you'd think they could have thrown a couple in or done a better job designing the charger to make them unnecessary. And why no charging indicator light?

ricksli | June 4, 2019

Hmmmm…...there's one thing I like about this over my Nomad.....

On the Nomad, there's a rubber lip along the bottom so the phones rest above that handle area. Result is my iPhone Max is a tight fit. Looks like with the Tesla model has no lip so they'll rest inside the handle area instead. That's enough to make a comfortable difference and probably allow me to close the cover.

Keep an eye out for a Nomad on eBay. LOL.

Syed.Hosain | June 4, 2019

The Taptes charger is very well-designed and is a nice match for the clean look of the car inside. Yes, it uses two USB plugs, but this is necessary if you want to charge two phones at the same time at full rate - *just* like any other charger you might get. I use a splitter (cost about $12) to get back the plug needed for my dashcam drive.

The Taptes is half the price - no need to spend double the money for another product (your choice to do so, of course).

And, since the Tesla price shows as $125, the Taptes at $49 is less than half the price actually.

dennis.sedov | June 4, 2019

I've been using this for a few days now. It's really nice. Lid closes. It comes with USB splitters, so that you can plug two flash cards as well for music and dash cam. Also has a light that shows that your phone is charging.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NNRYKL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

SteveWin1 | June 4, 2019

@Syed.Hosain, the 2 splitters are now included in the $49 if you buy the TapTes on Amazon.

Mike83 | June 4, 2019

This is $49 from Tesla and is a battery as well. Might get one of these for our MS and the Tesla wireless for the M3.

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/apparel/tesla-wireless-phone-charge...

dmastro | June 4, 2019

@Mike83: You might want to check Amazon before deciding to buy. Amazon has many highly rated, reputable brand options that provide significantly greater capacity at a much lower cost.

Mike83 | June 4, 2019

I use Amazon Prime except for Tesla; I find the products a better fit and very fair. Nice to have approved products made specifically for Tesla which is higher quality. I always buy the highest quality for performance and longevity.

@SteveWin1 the 2 splitters are now included in the $49 if you buy the TapTes on Amazon.

Nice!

And, their Gen 2 version allows a horizontal placement for one phone, along with a cable connection for any phone that doesn't have wireless charging: https://www.taptes.com/products/wireless-charging-pad-for-tesla-model-3-...

Same price of $49.90 (although their web site direct does not have the splitter included).

LinuxInside | June 4, 2019

Does anyone know if this supports fast charging at 10W on a Pixel 3 XL? The Pixel 3 phones downgrade to 5W on normal Qi chargers.

alisse | June 5, 2019

@LinuxInside none of these will do 10W unless you connect it to a battery pack. I picked one up on Amazon and will put everything together once the Tesla wireless charger arrives.

RedPillSucks | June 5, 2019

What's the best USB splitters to buy when using any of the wireless chargers (Jeda, Nomad, Tesla)?
I see warnings about charging iOS devices.

FISHEV | June 5, 2019

"On the Nomad, there's a rubber lip along the bottom so the phones rest above that handle area. Result is my iPhone Max is a tight fit. Looks like with the Tesla model has no lip so they'll rest inside the handle area instead. That's enough to make a comfortable difference and probably allow me to close the cover."

My phone keeps slipping off the mat and into the tiger trap below. I've been looking one WITH THE LIP to keep it from sliding down. Sounds like the Nomad has it.

ricksli | June 5, 2019

Yah, that happened to me as well before I bought the Nomad.

Now that I'm looking further at these, I think the issue with the Nomad is that it has the battery inside so the pad is thicker than the others, which leads to the lid not closing securely.

That taptes with the horizontal option is a terrific improvement.

wick | June 5, 2019

Anyone else ordered the Jeda? It was recommended in some video or other, but it has yet to arrive. It has been long enough ago that I don’t even remember why it was supposed to be better than the Nomad.

Mike83 | June 5, 2019

Another reason I buy Tesla is that some pads may be a fire hazard
No cheap shit for our valuable car
https://www.notebookcheck.net/US-consumer-safety-body-orders-recall-of-a...

leonard4 | June 5, 2019

Now if only my Note 9 fit on this. The Taptes doesn't work, nor does the Jeda. :(

leonard4 | June 5, 2019

Meh hit enter too soon.... The Taptes and Jeda have that rubber ledge on the bottom, the new Tesla one doesn't so I'm betting larger phones will fit on the Tesla one.

thedrisin | June 5, 2019

@Syed.Hosain. TapTes Direct via Amazon offers its Model 3 Wireless Qi Charger for $39.99 shipped when promo code KIR4P8PH is applied during checkout.

Syed.Hosain | June 5, 2019

@thedrisin "TapTes Direct via Amazon offers its Model 3 Wireless Qi Charger for $39.99 shipped when promo code KIR4P8PH is applied during checkout."

That makes it an even better deal for sure! Thanks for the info.

sroh | June 5, 2019

I'm waiting for the dust to settle on a wireless charger. I like the idea of allowing charging while the phone is horizontal (like the second generations of Jeda and Taptes).

If you want to open up the front USB ports for Tesla Cam and music, you can use splitters. Or I think this is a better option:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLG8TLD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

It has two USB ports (including a quick charge port) up front which will power the two chargers. At the 12v plug, there are two additional USB ports. I plug in a second USB C and USB Micro in case I want to charge a bluetooth headset for example. It takes 20-30 minutes of DIY work to route the cable from the 12v to the front of the console.

Syed.Hosain | June 5, 2019

@leonard4 "Now if only my Note 9 fit on this. The Taptes doesn't work, nor does the Jeda. :("

My Samsung Galaxy 9+ *with* a rubber protective case does fit, but I can see where a Note 9 might not, yeah!

As you mentioned, the Tesla one might work for larger phones. They also appear to include (?) a replacement sliding plastic "holder" (don't know what it is called) that looks "taller" than the original holder ... presumably to prevent phones from slipping into the lower compartment since there is no ledge.

wick | June 5, 2019

Taptes promo code on Amazon no longer valid. I tried on a couple of different variants of the product.

gridc | June 5, 2019

I have the Nomad. My USB ports stopped working a while back, and when Mobile Service came out to replace the hub, they told me they'd had a lot of problems with third-party wireless chargers frying the ports. Has anyone else heard this? Wondering if the official wireless charger is somehow engineered differently.

gridc | June 5, 2019

I have the Nomad. My USB ports stopped working a while back, and when Mobile Service came out to replace the hub, they told me they'd had a lot of problems with third-party wireless chargers frying the ports. Has anyone else heard this? Wondering if the official wireless charger is somehow engineered differently.

thedrisin | June 5, 2019

@wick. Sorry, that was from Electrek site article, did not try promo code myself.
https://electrek.co/2019/06/03/tesla-model-3-wireless-phone-charger/

lbowroom | June 5, 2019

An OEM part that costs more than aftermarket? What craziness is this?

Sarcasm......in case you're wondering.

wick | June 6, 2019

The Taptes people said they were running low on Amazon inventory so they discontinued the promo code. Promised to compensate me somehow. Nice people.

Pages