Forums

Exterior detail

Exterior detail

My 6 month black M3 is getting a lot of scratches and needs a exterior detail. What is the going on rate in the Bay Area for an exterior detail? Any good places, I want the paint to look new again.

lilbean | June 9, 2019

Are you taking it to the car wash?

FISHEV | June 9, 2019

Not Bay Area but PDX. Charge for the ceramic coating was $1,295. The ceramic is supposed to give a year or two protection on the paint. If it provides that length of protection, it's worth it. We'll see. Car looks great and it is really repels water to the point that I'm not even getting water marks after rain.

Likely a good basic wash and wax will do the same if you don't want to experiment with the ceramic. A good detailers waxing should be $300-$500. A good wax will last 6 months.

Black shows the day to day the most.

Don't worry about the car washes, you gotta do it if you don't have place to wash by hand. It's a car. It will do fine. Better getting frequent car washes than leaving the dirt on until you can hand wash, if you can handwash.

Teslanene | June 9, 2019

Black is so hard to clean. I wash my car twice a week using ONR one bucket, but I don’t like the results as I feel like it needs a good wax again to bring the shine back.

lilbean | June 9, 2019

I think it's important to use the two bucket method so that the grit stays in the dirty bucket to minimize scratches.

Jtwo | June 9, 2019

Black is hardest to keep clean. It looks great when it’s clean and those 5 minutes are glorious!

I had a black car once and learned my lesson.....

FISHEV | June 9, 2019

Ah...a fellow clean fanatic...though I only confess to a couple auto-car washes a month though that can jump to four to eight during ski season.

In your case, the ceramic might be a good investment/experiment. It gives the car a solid shine and it still looks like that after a rainy week.

https://imgur.com/73Y235s
https://imgur.com/IQfNyPc
https://imgur.com/8ZkJZUZ

jordanrichard | June 9, 2019

No color is harder to keep clean than another, it is just a matter of how easy it is to see the said dirt on different colors.

rhj | June 9, 2019

jordanrichard | June 9, 2019
No color is harder to keep clean than another, it is just a matter of how easy it is to see the said dirt on different colors.

My black cars with all the pollen look dirty in about a day. Even freshly washed paint swirls and water spots just stick out.
My White car can go a week or more and you can have to feel the dirt on the surface before you can eyeball it.

Anecdotally wash me written in the dirt on car panels are usually seen on dark colored cars.

lilbean | June 9, 2019

After owning several black cars, I went with blue. I think the blue shows more dirt.

Lonestar10_1999 | June 9, 2019

rhj +1

I knew black was the worst for keeping the appearance of being clean. I would have preferred white or red but I was unwilling to pay thousands more for a paint color because I couldn’t see the value in it.

Even though black shows dirt more than the other colors, when it’s freshly cleaned and polished, its really quite sharp.

howard | June 9, 2019

Our black Q3 is about 250 for nice detail at the dealer. Ask your SC for a recommendation.

TexasBob | June 9, 2019

FWIW My black Model 3 is 11 months old and no scratches at all (same with our blue one). I invested $500 per vehicle when they were new on two coats of Liquid Armour and professional installation.

Since then we wash once a week or once every other week with some car wash soap we bought at home depot and a garden hose. Wash and dry with Costco microfibre towels. Have it down to less than 20 minutes for both cars.

Best $500 I have ever spent on car appearance stuff.

Teslanene | June 9, 2019

@texasbob do you have a link on more info on the liquid armour you are referring too?