Forums

NoA question...

NoA question...

If a human driver wants to change lane on a highway while there is a car next to his/her car in that lane, the human driver can either slow down and then change to that lane and get behind the other car, or can speed up to get in that lane to get in front of the other car. Will NoA do either of these, maybe based on situation like human would do?

Also, if I am driving in the far left lane (HOV lane?), and my exit will be coming up say in 5 miles, and if the multiple lanes (say 4 or more lanes) to my right have bumper-to-bumper traffic, will NoA always be able to make the exit for me safely?

legna_fo_htaed | June 14, 2019

From what I've noticed NOAP will allow other cars to pass to give ample space to complete the maneuver. It also leaves the turn signal on though so a lot of times cars will be giving room to allow you to squeeze in front, but NOAP doesn't seem to acknowledge this and continues to wait. I've had to take over a few times in this situation. Not sure about the HOV or multi lane highway situation since I do not live by one.

hokiegir1 | June 14, 2019

NoA will do the first, but not always in the same way a human would, and I don't think it does it quite as well yet. As the system learns, this should improve.

For the second question, this is one of my bigger issues with the current state in Atlanta traffic. It just doesn't seem to handle these cases very well yet. It wants to stay in the left too long...or move right way too early (15-20 miles). And it's changes aren't quire aggressive enough for the flow of traffic (see question 1). If you know your traffic and start reaching a point where you haven't changed lanes, but should be starting, I'd suggest initiating it yourself rather than waiting.

82bert | June 14, 2019

To answer your first question. Yes. It does both for me depending on the situation. More frequently slows down to get behind. But you can also press accelerator pedal to speed up (if you want to go in front) and NoA will still do the rest.

In regards to the second question. It could do that, but depending on your fellow people in traffic, they may make it difficult. NoA definitely isn’t as aggressive as a human. If it’s bumper to bumper and I need to cross 4 lanes relatively quickly, I take over for that part.

JAD | June 14, 2019

You need to learn when to use NoA and when to drive. It is not meant to work in all situations and if you expect that you will be very disappointed. It is constantly learning, but has a ways to go. Don't put it in difficult situations and expect perfect outcomes. I use it a lot, but if I am in the HOV lane and need to fight bumper to bumper traffic, I just turn it off and work my way over as I feel comfortable. No LA Traffic mode, yet :)

leo33 | June 14, 2019

I've frequently had NoA put on the blinker, then slow down to merge behind the car right next to me. I don't remember it speeding up to merge by itself, although I've helped it successfully change lanes that way by manually pressing the accelerator.

In particularly heavy traffic, I will take over if I need to move through several lanes of traffic. This is because prior versions of NoA have at times not made it over in time. It will get better.

This comment applies to firmware 2019.16.2

82bert | June 14, 2019

Overall agree with everyone thus far for the most part. To clarify, for the first question, it doesn’t accelerate above your set speed to get in front of car in parallel lane, but I’ve had it continue to drive forward if it’s faster than vehicle at the set speed and then merge into lane.

Goose66 | June 14, 2019

I am with 82bert. Left to it's own devices, NoA will very briefly speed up then (sometimes dramatically) slow down to get in behind the car. However, if I see that there is ample room in front of the car, I press the accelerator before acknowledging the lane change and I can get it in front of the car beside me and it handles the rest.

Joshan | June 14, 2019

This has some inherent risk, FSD will NOT brake the car if you are on the accelerator, soi if something happens you do not see the car may not stop the crash from happening.

Goose66 | June 14, 2019

Well, I am nowhere near the confidence level in NoA where I am not seeing ALL of the cars, yet!

Joshan | June 14, 2019

agreed, just wanted to point that out for others who may read this thread and not realize if they push the accelerator they are now in charge of all braking.

FISHEV | June 14, 2019

"This has some inherent risk, FSD will NOT brake the car if you are on the accelerator"

Normally Tesla will auto brake even if the person has their foot on the accelerator. It will warn you when the car will not brake automatically and that usually involves pushing the accelerator beyond current speed settings in AP by a certain percentage.

Joshan | June 14, 2019

I have first hand experience that tells me differently. When accelerating from a red light and the car in front of me nailed the brakes. AP didnt even think about braking and I barely stopped. AP at the time was set at 50 mph (45 mph road) and we were doing about 15 mph.

I just wanted to to accelrate from the red light faster. I think it accelerates too slowly from a dead stop with a car in front of you.

twistedskipper | June 14, 2019

I have frequently had the car warn me that TACC can’t brake with my foot on the go pedal even when I am below my set speed (which is usually why I have my foot on in the first place).