Forums

Firmware Versions and Model 3

Firmware Versions and Model 3

Since I developed an (ahem) MINOR obsession with why my Model 3 was still parked on a version that seemed many versions back. I spent some time digging around the firmware database at TeslaFi and what it has to say is really interesting. As people have said many times before, not every version is compatible with every car. And, as Tesla told me when I talked to service about this, some versions are only put out to address issues in other versions. So ... things are not always as they seem when you say "Gee, I'm on version XX and other people are all the way at XXX." If you're just looking at the top lines on TeslaFi or other firmware tracking sites, it can seem that all but a handful of vehicles have essentially the latest version. But dig a little deeper, and it's genuinely interesting.

Here's how things stand as of 22 Jul 2019. The date after each version was when it was first recorded "in the wild" on a Model 3. Because TeslaFi doesn't capture every car, and because I'm just looking at the date for the oldest reported install on a 3, the sequence can seem ... not very sequential.

2019.15.103 (6/14/2019)
About a third of Model 3s built in June seem to have shipped with this version, and most of those Model 3s have NOT seen a change in their software. This is where I am, this is where a lot of people are. There do not appear to be any older Model 3s running this version in the database. It may not have appeared on older vehicles. No Model S or X are running this version.

2019.15.104.1 (7/10/2019)
The remainder of Model 3s built in the last couple of months (VINs 350XXX and above) seem to have shipped out with this version. A small number of Model 3s that shipped with 2019.15.103 have been upgraded to this version. No Model S or X or older 3s are running this version.

2019.16.2 (5/22/2019)
A relatively small number of Model 3s appear to still be running this version. They represent a mix of both older and newer cars.

2019.16.3 (6/19/2019)
A tiny number of cars of any type got this version. A single car still appears to be on it.

2019.16.3.2 (5/31/2019)
Some Model 3s WERE on this version. However, it appears that every Model 3 running 2019.16.3.2 has been updated.

2019.20.1 (06/10/2019)
All Model 3s who received this were older cars (VIN < 350XXX). Most appear to have since been upgraded.

2019.20.2.1 (6/18/2019)
A large number of 3s, old and new, received this update. All but a handful appear to have been updated.

2019.20.4.2 (6/25/2019)
This is the biggie. A very large number of 3s, old and new, were updated to this version and many are still on it. Model S and X also got this version in larger numbers.

2019.20.4.4 (7/06/2019)
This was a Model 3 only patch that went out only to cars then running 2019.20.4.2. At the moment, this is where the largest number of Model 3s are hanging out. Both older and newer cars got this patch.

2019.20.4.5 (6/25/2019)
A couple of older threes got this one right after 4.2 ... but only a couple, and they were almost immediately updated.

2019.20.4.6 (7/11/2019)
Went out to older Model 3s only. Model S and X also got this version.

2019.24.4 (7/19/2019)
A small number of all cars (older and newer 3, S, and X) have received this update, but the numbers don't seem to be growing very quickly. This is the first .24 version that has gone to a 3.

Okay, that's the news today -- a large number of newer 3s still straddling 2019.15.103 and 2019.15.104.1 (and that includes cars that were built this week). Most older 3s and about half of the newer models now mostly on 2019.20.4.4. There are a large number of versions in the firmware tracker, but the ones not listed above did not go out to Model 3.

And yes, I know a lot of this info was likely available from other sites. But I didn't look, because I enjoyed digging through the numbers.

hokiegir1 | July 22, 2019

@Devilstower - Yup! And a lot of those 2019.24.x installs are likely "early access" cars, since the roll out is so small/slow. You'll see that with early versions of a new week number many times...and then a larger rollout will start to the masses a few weeks later. Typically 100+ in a day signifies a start, but it can be halted at any point if issues crop up. Depending on severity, that's when you'll see another version a few days later also with a mass rollout.

Basically, you can see trends, but at any given time, there are normally a bunch of versions floating around.

CharleyBC | July 22, 2019

@Devilstower: Great report. You’re hired!

CharleyBC | July 22, 2019

@FISHEV: The following is my supposition from watching this stuff for a year. I have no inside track from Tesla. I think the week number portion of the software version changes when there are significant features being introduced. The next node or two update when they fix bugs within a given feature set. So in your CHAdeMO example, I’d expect a lower-order node to update and stay with .24 for the week node. Unless, of course, they’re also ready to ship Force Field Mode or something by then...

xoclutch | July 22, 2019

2019.15.103, i believe is latest model 3 without FSD, its what I have car built at the end of june without FSD option. My car did not come with a homelink, with I got installed, tech guy pushed new updated/config, was still 2019.15.103.. Some of the Model 3s come with homelink hardware, but are software locked.

I suspect If i purchase the FSD option I would get an update to 24.

calvin940 | July 22, 2019

@FISHEV

"This will likely get rewritten and have to reissued and retested."

As I have said in other threads, you lack the experience and understand of whether something requires a rewrite or a single line of code change. Stop making conclusions about things for which you know nothing.

82bert | July 22, 2019

24.4 seems to be going out more widely today. Got it on both 3s.

hokiegir1 | July 22, 2019

+1 @82bert on the wider release. I noticed a big hop of installs in the last hour and a half. Release notes found online say ChadEmo on the 3, and sketchpad updates for all, as well as some additional language support.

raqball | July 22, 2019

No love for me yet.. Still relaxing on 2019.15.104.1 753f0a

petergalindez | July 22, 2019

I have 2019.15.103 with FSD which was delivered late June. The mobile team was recently at my house and I asked for the latest software. They said that was the latest software version eligible for my vehicle. BTW, the mobile team was outstanding! I'm in Virginia Beach. Two guys showed up, fixed my rear passenger door issue and my trunk lid marble sound (fastener rattling around in the lid). They couldn't have been nicer, faster, or more professional!

lunde | July 22, 2019

Speaking of firmware updates, it seems that a fairly broad rollout of 2019.24.4 may have started today: https://teslafi.com/firmware/

roger.klurfeld | July 22, 2019

Your analysis does not take into consideration that some of these firmware versions are for early access participants only.

raqball | July 22, 2019

@FISHEV

I am still plateless and my temp expired last week on the 17th. Portland told me if I get a ticket to bring it to them.. LOL..

They did say I'd have them by the 26th so time will tell... I think part of the problem is that since I live in WA that Tesla Portland sends them via snail mail to Tesla Seattle who then does the WA registration. Tesla Seattle then gets the plates from the WA State and then mails them to me...

If I don't have mine by Friday I guess I'll call Tesla Seattle...

cpdude | July 22, 2019

@lunde - Am I reading that correctly...maybe 2019.24.4.is being rolled out today but is AP3 equivalent to HW3? If so then I probably should expect that version...

EVRider | July 22, 2019

@cpdude: I don’t think having AP3 (HW3) has any bearing on whether you’ll get 24.4 — it’s going to both AP3 and older cars.

Devilstower | July 22, 2019

Yep, an absolute spate of 24.4 going out today, all models, all VINs. Seems like they must be pretty happy with this version.

Devilstower | July 22, 2019

Oh, and there are 3s getting updated from 15.103 straight to 24.4. So it seems this could become everyone’s new baseline.

petergalindez | July 22, 2019

I just got notified of an update...was on 15.103. It's installing now. Can't seem to find what version I'm going to though? I have a LR DM purchased and received end of June 2019.

raqball | July 22, 2019

@petergalindez

You won't know until after the update completes... I bet you go to 24.4 as it look like many are getting that today...

Devilstower | July 23, 2019

@petergalindez you’re getting 24.4; because no one is getting anything else.
@fishev there are tons of LR AWD on the update list.

I’m kind of glad I did this yesterday, because now it’s kind of all blown away. Every vehicle, of every model, seems to be on its way to 24.4. It’s the closest thing to a universal release.

hokiegir1 | July 23, 2019

@Devilstower - while they may be working on moving everyone to the same version, it can still take a couple weeks to do that. And you'll typically see 3 days in a row with increasing numbers, then a drop to close to the first day before another couple increasing days as they do it in waves to various regions (as they define them -- not as most people do).

ztrkulja | July 23, 2019

My 1 month old car (with FSD support) is still on 2019.8.3 (da116a6). :-(

calvin940 | July 23, 2019

So is 24.4 now in full rollout? I just received it last night and I am not in the EAP.

hokiegir1 | July 23, 2019

@Calvin - About 500 installs showing on TeslaFi since yesterday afternoon, so yup -- looks like the full rollout has started.

jimglas | July 23, 2019

I got 2019.24.4 on my MX, but M3 is still 2019.20.4.2

calvin940 | July 23, 2019

"so yup -- looks like the full rollout has started."

Darn! I though I somehow had been given magical privileges. (͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡ °)

Jaaahon | July 24, 2019

I am on 2019.15 :(

Jaaahon | July 24, 2019

PECo CT | July 24, 2019

Just got 2019.24.4 in Connecticut.

raqball | July 24, 2019

Jaaahon | July 24, 2019
--------------------------

Me as well. I am on 2019.15.104.1 but I am sure in the next few weeks I'll have something.. I assume my next update will be to 24.4 but who knows...

abhi.the.knight | July 26, 2019

Just got 24.4 in CA.
My car was long overdue for an update. It was on 12.2 something earlier.

EVRider | July 26, 2019

Model 3 is still on 20.4.4. Model S got 24.4 four days ago.

packard56 | July 28, 2019

I have a one year old car that is still on 2019.12.1.2 and I purchased FSD in March 2019. I would think I should have a later version by now.

mike.mcn | July 29, 2019

My Model 3 LR AWD was delivered in late June. I'm in the EAP and I have FW 2019.15.104.1 (753f0a5). It seems that the FW is related to the HW version. Though I am not an expert. It seems from the TeslaFi site that I also have HW2.5. However, I thought, given my delivery date, that I would have HW3.

Will all FSD cars eventually be upgraded to HW3?

Finally, I am hopeful I'll have a new FW soon.

raqball | July 29, 2019

mike.mcn | July 29, 2019
My Model 3 LR AWD was delivered in late June. I'm in the EAP and I have FW 2019.15.104.1 (753f0a5). It seems that the FW is related to the HW version. Though I am not an expert. It seems from the TeslaFi site that I also have HW2.5. However, I thought, given my delivery date, that I would have HW3.

Will all FSD cars eventually be upgraded to HW3?

Finally, I am hopeful I'll have a new FW soon.
-----------------------------------------------

I don't think Tesla Fi can differentiate between HW2.5 and HW3 so they are all just listed as 2.5.

I have HW 3 and I was on 2019.15.104.1. A few days go was updated to 2019.15.105 46b3032

EVRider | July 30, 2019

@packard56: Getting FSD doesn’t require a software update, so that has no bearing in the version.

@mike: HW3 went into production in April, so unless your car was an older inventory model, you already have HW3. Even if you didn’t, anyone who purchases FSD will get upgraded to HW3 eventually.

fiddleman | July 31, 2019

I have firmware 2019.15.105 46b3032. I don't see that anyone else has this. My Tesla is a 2019 Model 3, LR AWD purchased 07/26/2019. It has had one firmware update the either the day I bought it or the next day -- unfortunately, I do not know what it was before it upgraded.

BTW: How can you tell what HW version it has?

leo33 | July 31, 2019

If you purchased it 7/26/2019, it's almost certainly hw3. To be even more sure, check the build date in the door. If it's april 2019 or later, it even more certain that you have hw3. But if you purchase fsd option, it doesnt matter, because when does matter you will get the upgrade for free if you don't already have it.

chris | August 1, 2019

There must be a reason cars built from what seems like June 2019 and on, are on the 2019.15.1xx train. Testing a HW3 only codebase? An actual physical difference in hardware? It’s starting to feel like it has to be one of these.

Would be nice to get some clarification from Tesla. We’re missing a longer and longer list of features, albeit relatively minor features.

raqball | August 1, 2019

chris | August 1, 2019
There must be a reason cars built from what seems like June 2019 and on, are on the 2019.15.1xx train. Testing a HW3 only codebase? An actual physical difference in hardware? It’s starting to feel like it has to be one of these.

Would be nice to get some clarification from Tesla. We’re missing a longer and longer list of features, albeit relatively minor features.
-----------------------
Mine also made June 2019 and on 2019.15.105

There is def something odd going on with out cars. Tesla testing something or an oddball component that need a separate update?

FISHEV | August 1, 2019

"There is def something odd going on with out cars. Tesla testing something or an oddball component that need a separate update?"@raqball

Since 24 was almost entirely about Chademo fix, there's no reason it should not apply your car. Since you have lower range it should have gone out to your model first.

The only reason I could think of for not providing the Chademo fix to your model is for some reason it cannot use the Chademo and that makes no sense. If true then Tesla should let you know.

raqball | August 1, 2019

FISHEV | August 1, 2019
Since 24 was almost entirely about Chademo fix, there's no reason it should not apply your car. Since you have lower range it should have gone out to your model first.

The only reason I could think of for not providing the Chademo fix to your model is for some reason it cannot use the Chademo and that makes no sense. If true then Tesla should let you know.
-------------------

@FISHEV

Yeah not sure what's going on with the cars made in June but we appear to be on an odd update path. I am not all that concerned about Chademo support at the moment as I've decided to pass on it..

I assume someone on the 2019.15.1xx firmware might be waiting for that support though...

hardik.chheda | August 2, 2019

Mobile Service is coming in on Monday. I'll update everyone after it. Also, though I booked my car in the last week of july (and go it delivered ) in 2 days, seems like I have AP 2.5 as the code in Teslafi says APH3 instead of 4.

johnplanetz | August 5, 2019

Just received my model 3 AWD last week, and am running 2019.15.105. I visited Dublin Tesla Service on Saturday, and they triggered a software update for me, but after it completed that night, I was still running the same version.
This morning, I inquired via online chat, and they said:
"Thanks for your patience, it looks like the update that was pushed to your car was 2019.24 but engineering pulled it over the weekend because it was causing some issues with a few cars that prevented the car from powering up. This issue will be corrected with 2019.28 and should be released in the next few weeks. Engineering says that it will be pushed out to the cars affected first"

mgama1 | August 5, 2019

Same situation... July build running 2019.15.105. Requested an update and was told "Looking through your Firmware history, it looks like you have not had any versions that failed, and all have downloaded successfully as recent as 7/30. Version 2019.24 has been paused for the time being. Engineering discovered some bugs that they wish to fix before continuing to roll them out. Once the next version of Firmware is available for your specific Model 3, it will download automatically."

mrboomba | August 5, 2019

I'm in the same boat. My M3 without FSD has 2019.15.103. It has not updated in software since I got my car in late June. I'm visiting Tesla services to get some issue fixed. Hopefully the software will get updated. The service guy called me and ask me to get on WiFi to get update. I assume it is a custom update. The version number didn't change. It didn't fix any issues thought.

In short, my Model 3 has following issues:
- Web browser icon is missing
- Dashcam function is not working. It shows Sentry Mode instead.
- Autosteer mode turned off every time I cross lane. (is it suppose to be function like this?)
- Other Cars detected when driving bounces around on console.
- I have more minor issues..

mrboomba | August 5, 2019

I'm in the same boat. My M3 without FSD has 2019.15.103. It has not updated in software since I got my car in late June. I'm visiting Tesla services to get some issue fixed. Hopefully the software will get updated. The service guy called me and ask me to get on WiFi to get update. I assume it is a custom update. The version number didn't change. It didn't fix any issues thought.

In short, my Model 3 has following issues:
- Web browser icon is missing
- Dashcam function is not working. It shows Sentry Mode instead.
- Autosteer mode turned off every time I cross lane. (is it suppose to be function like this?)
- Other Cars detected when driving bounces around on console.
- I have more minor issues..

EVRider | August 6, 2019

@mrboomba:
- If you have standard connectivity (no streaming music, no satellite views, etc) you won’t have the web browser.
- The Sentry Mode icon only appears when the car is in Park. The dashcam icon should appear when you’re driving.
- Basic AP does not include auto lane change, so it’s working as designed.
- Everyone has the bouncing cars.

hokiegir1 | August 6, 2019

+! @EVRider -- and if you don't have a USB drive inserted, you won't have the dashcam, but Sentry can still be activated without it (you just won't get the recordings, but the alarms will still trigger)

jimglas | August 6, 2019

I got 2019.28.2 last night

raqball | August 6, 2019

jimglas | August 6, 2019
I got 2019.28.2 last night
-------------------
Same here... I went from 2019.15.105 to 2019.28.2

Pages