Forums

Auto braking Object avoidance not working

Auto braking Object avoidance not working

Hello guys,
I am testing how "Obstacle Aware Acceleration" which seems not to be working on my Tesla Model 3 with v9 and with v10.
Both "Obstacle aware acceleration" and "Automatic Emergency Braking" are enabled.

I tested on dead objects such as Santa figure and also big box carton wrapped in aluminum foil.
Both tests failed, tesla saw those object but did not tried to use brakes (hilarious video btw :D)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNEOGXaZYq0
This test was also made when i have parked tesla in front of those objects and then pressed hard and also softly acceleration pedal.
It just ran into those objects.

After that i also made test with >10km/h Person in front of a car and this time the system sees human and stops by itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aR4HDeqhsI

What am i missing here ?
I have seen videos that Tesla is auto-braking for example in a garage when it sees object.
In my case i can easily ran into anything. I can only see a warning and message "stop" but it does not use auto brakes.
And My friends Skoda 3,5x cheaper car has this feature and it works :D

The version i tested was 2019.32.12.1 or one version before that.

WantMY | October 13, 2019

It is just a gimmicks, those so called safety features on Tesla comes with miles of small text printed disclosures basically stating - it would never work when you need it, but it would work when you do not, lol

tytanick | October 13, 2019

I am not sure if that is a bug or if it requires Full self Driving upgrade which i do not have.
But why the heck would i see those options if they would not be for me ?
I think it is a bug or i do not do this properly...

jstat10 | October 13, 2019

You are confusing the Auto Braking feature with the Auto Breaking feature. The former stops the car before it hits an object, that later breaks any object in its path.

tytanick | October 13, 2019

Lol you are right Braking, not Breaking :)

Xerogas | October 13, 2019

@tytanick: "Lol you are right Braking, not Breaking :)"
------
You can edit your title, so future generations are not confused when they come across this thread

FISHEV | October 13, 2019

If it's any help, the auto braking in the Tesla has been tested by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the gold standard of care safety certification and does work.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/tesla/model-3-4-door-sedan/2019

jerrykham | October 13, 2019

Other real world test show that none of the cars out there work reliably for these scenarios. Here's some recent tests of the pedestrian detection that didn't go well (not just for Tesla): https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/10/aaa-finds-your-new-car-probably-won...

Shesmyne2 | October 13, 2019

Thanks for that article jerrykham.
Saw a humorous side-who’s volunteering for these tests? And offering up your kids to run out from a car?

Still Grinning ;-)

FISHEV | October 13, 2019

"The Model 3 failed to slow down for any of the five runs."

Yikes! I guess IIHS.org does not test for pedestrians. Their test and rating is based on the autobraking for cars as the rear ender into other cars is the most common. Maybe the will add a Pedestrian stop test.

vmulla | October 13, 2019
tytanick | October 14, 2019

But the interesting is that car sees those object and shows distance to it and even shows message STOP. but it does not STOP automatically. And i think that it should right ?
Or is this feature works ONLY when using Autopilot ? - I did not tested that in autopilot.

EVRider | October 14, 2019

I suggest reading the manual to understand how Automatic Emergency Braking and Obstacle Aware Acceleration actually work and their limitations.

Joshan | October 14, 2019

well said EV.... may help to know how its supposed to work, right?

RedPillSucks | October 14, 2019

Please be aware that the auto braking feature works based on the speed that the car is traveling.
If you ease up on an object, auto braking will not work. Think about how that's similar to easing up inside your garage. You don't want the car braking for you just because you're 24 inches from the wall. I'll have to search to find where in the manual it talks about this.

Problem is that i red whole manual about those features ....

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration
Obstacle-Aware Acceleration is designed to
reduce the impact of a collision by reducing
motor torque if Model 3 detects an object in
its driving path. For example, Model 3, while
parked in front of a closed garage door with
the Drive gear engaged, detects that you have
pressed hard on the accelerator pedal.
Although Model 3 still accelerates and hits the
garage door, the reduced torque may result in
less damage.
Obstacle-Aware Acceleration is designed to
operate only when all of these conditions are
simultaneously met:
• A driving gear is engaged (Drive or
Reverse).
• Model 3 is stopped or traveling less than
10 mph (16 km/h).
• Model 3 detects an object in its immediate
driving path.

Well i tried two different things.
I traveled below 15km/h and drove into santa.
Car saw it, beeped but did not used brakes.

Second test was when i put in front of a Tesla 3 BIG paper carton wrapped into aluminum foil.
Car saw it and then i rapidly pressed Drive pedal and it just drove into carton and did not stop at all.

So what else i am missing ?

i rapidly pressed Drive pedal

Slow pedal pressing also did not self stopped on obstacle.

if you are on the accelerator it will not stop, you are over riding the safety feature. It only lowers torque as stated in the text you pasted.

So it would only work when car is rolling by itself into object ?
Anyway i did not noticed any torque lowering during that tests.
It only worked with real human in the tesla 3 path. Then it stopped.
Seems strange that this features does not work the same as in Cheap Skoda.....
From my developer point of view it does not work as it should while sensors see all of this.
Also i was watching this youtube video in which this worked pretty well in this guy video.
If it is legit then it should work like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94d8CAB3zkM&feature=youtu.be&t=160

calvin940 | October 14, 2019

Not sure why you don't understand that when you are countermanding the autopilot with exerting manual action that it will not override your actions.

I do not use autopilot.
The self braking works without autopilot on human but it does not work on objects as on movie above.

it works exactly as they say it does.

I think it is not in my case....

FISHEV | October 14, 2019

"So what else i am missing ?"@tytanick

Nothing, the pedestrian and object features do not work on the Model 3 but the auto braking for cars does, tested by IIHS.org.

Your tests results match those above.

Igore the fanbois, they neither read the manual nor the articles on the tests and are just exhibiting their defensive reactions.

no, he is on the accelerator. it is NOT going to stop when is is telling it to go. I can imagine the fun you would have with that one "I am accelerating, but the car wont move as it thinks I am going to hit something imaginary"

"he is on the accelerator.@Joshan

Read the manual. He explains it clearly above and quotes it.

thanks for making my point

"thanks for making my point"@Joshan

Thanks for admitting @Tytanick was right and you were wrong and hadn't read the manual.

rehutton777 | October 14, 2019

Tytanick: According to the video, the "obstacle-aware acceleration" button on the Autopilot screen (scroll down to very bottom of the screen) has to be "on" in order for the car to break before plowing into an object in front of the car. Check to see if that button is on or off.

rehutton777 | October 14, 2019

"brake" - - sorry.

tytanick | October 15, 2019

@rehutton777 Ofcourse it is ON :)
I even disabled all of them and reenabled them again as i it could be just view bug. Anyway it still does not help.
I could reset whole car but i will not do that until i will try everything else.
I guess i will need to call tesla or write email to their service after all.
I thought i would get some answers here as well :)

FISHEV | October 16, 2019

Keep us posted on what they say as the auto braking is hard to test.