Forums

32.12.2 SW Issues

32.12.2 SW Issues

Hello,
I got my T3 in Nov 2018, now has 14K miles or so.

I upgraded to 32.12.2 (it shows as 32.12.2. 58f3b76)on Friday 11th Oct.
I have noticed that on highway driving when I initiate a lane change, the car will start to move to the lane but (about one in three times)it violently jumps back into the original lane. and then tries again and then one of the following three things happens
1) Makes it to the new lane
2) stops trying to make it to the new lane
3) tries to change and comes back (like a pendulum)and then I have to pull it out of AP to get it to stop. Needless to say this is the most dangerous mode which causes it to be at risk of collision with other cars.

I had seen this behaviour in March and upon contacting Tesla a few times (sending them videos and logs). After a few fits and starts, they were able to fix it with a firmware OTA update. Now seems like it got broken in the 32.12.2 update. (I am also contacting Tesla separately to bring up this issue).

Anyone else seen this issue with the 32.12.2 or previously?

Joshan | October 14, 2019

yes when the cameras are dirty. You can normally tell this is going to be an issue if you watch the display. The car shows "arcs" that look like a half circle when it detects things around the car. If you see these when nothing is around the car, in my experience the cameras are dirty.

zafarula | October 14, 2019

No, I clean the cameras before the recent drives, as that was the first thing the Tesla service folks told me.

stingray.don | October 14, 2019

Yes, I am having the same issue since the latest software release. Although, today it seems to be working again. Who knows.

Switchmon | October 14, 2019

I have experienced similar issues periodically when using NOAP and only changing to the left lane. It's inconsistent and comes and goes without a pattern I can distinguish.

TexasBob | October 14, 2019

I noticed that it is suddenly very cautious about the shadows cast by other vehicles. Weird.

EVRider | October 14, 2019

I’ve had that same issue a few times in my Model S since upgrading to 32.12.2, which is the first V10 update I’ve installed. This has only happened when using NoA, and I think NoA proposed the lane change each time but I’m not sure.

The first time it happened I was on an interstate in the middle lane, with only one other car visible, in my lane quite a ways ahead of me — NoA proposed moving to the left lane since I was approaching the other car, but the lane change aborted, then tried again, then aborted. It wasn’t a lighting or dirty windshield issue.

petrov | October 14, 2019

When driving on Highway 85 lane change pretty much never works because of those arcs. I suspect it's because of the grooves in the road that confuse image processing:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2636437,-121.9778377,3a,75y,98.95h,43.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFB71do264xpALVfCOa-QGw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

When driving on Highway 85 lane change pretty much never works because of those arcs. I suspect it's because of the grooves in the road that confuse image processing:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2636437,-121.9778377,3a,75y,98.95h,43.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFB71do264xpALVfCOa-QGw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I get it now, each time you press SAVE, the response is posted. Let's try again!

I get it now, each time you press SAVE, the response is posted. Let's try again!

No42 | October 14, 2019

My brand new M3 on HW3 will not stay in the lane and would suddenly cross right side of the lane while on AP.
Not sure if SW related or some other HW issue

Glenddd | October 14, 2019

Same here. Extremely dangerous. Car starts to change lanes then jerks back into original lane, tries again, jerks into original lane, etc. both left and right lane changes. Sometimes doesn’t change lanes at all. Cameras and sensors are extremely clean. Rebooted the system a few times with no success. I’ve also noticed the “arcs” activating several times without vehicles or other obstructions around me. It’s as if the ultrasonic sensors are detecting the small “reflector bumps” on the highway and interpreting those as hazards to avoid. Far too sensitive.

afetzer | October 14, 2019

Folks, why are we putting up with these dangerous software/safety issues?
All I get from Tesla are excuses but the car cannot be trusted.

howard | October 14, 2019

afetzer | October 14, 2019
Folks, why are we putting up with these dangerous software/safety issues?
All I get from Tesla are excuses but the car cannot be trusted.

+1 I don’t understand why anyone takes the risk. It is a car that should be driven by you the driver until Tesla releases the car from “beta” status to “secure to drive” with TACC/AP/NOAP. There is no aspect I find relaxing about using them or as noted by others even safe. Stop!

roger.klurfeld | October 15, 2019

I reported this issue many times via the early access program. Particularly on concrete pavement with questionable lane markers and shadows from tree limbs. Sometimes it got better and sometimes it got worse after an update.

rxlawdude | October 15, 2019

Desperate shorties. Sad.

3500HDP3D | October 15, 2019

Like anyone on this forum has the wherewithal to affect a short position on TESLA!
Give me a break

WEST TEX EV | October 15, 2019

All of these adapt cruise systems cannot be trusted. My wife Volvo will keep going highway speed until VERY LAST SECOND prior to slowing. My preference to slow MUCH MORE GENTLY. I think TESLA:

1) full TACC/lane keep operates when Volvo won’t even try
2) in general works as good or better than Volvo system.
3) software is being tweaked and improved over time
4) Agree with “BE CAREFUL” / “BE UNTRUSTING”

WEST TEX EV | October 15, 2019

Plus MANY MORE SENSORS / much more information. Compare:

Volvo:
1 forward camera
1 forward sonar (short range)
1 rear cam (I don’t think used)

TESLA:
12 sonar (bumpers)
1 forward sonar (long range)
8 cameras (all used I think)

So tons more info for decision making. But I have a default “don’t trust” on all these.....

leo33 | October 15, 2019

"Don't trust" is in the car's manual and on the screen every time you enable Autopilot. Tesla tells you to keep your hands on the wheel and to be alert and ready to take over.

Autopilot and NoA keep getting more and more capable, and able to handle more situations more naturally. Even though the driver does have to supervise, I find it reduces the stress of driving a huge amount, and is safer than not using AP.

Responding to OP, I have have only seen improvements in lane change ability. It's still not perfect, but now there are some roads where it now can complete the lane change where before it would always abort.

zafarula | October 16, 2019

Leo33
As mentioned my original issue, the issue went away afyet Tesla did a firmware OTA update, about 5 months, it worked perfectly fine until the 32.12 update

petrov | October 16, 2019

That’s my experience too. The aforementioned highway 85 was working mostly OK at the last revisions of v9, and v10 broke it 100%.

jimglas | October 16, 2019

@Craig: Also a forward radar

lbowroom | October 16, 2019

"Like anyone on this forum has the wherewithal to affect a short position on TESLA!
Give me a break"

Consistent negative comments over days, weeks, and months certainly effect the thousands of readers that come here when they are considering purchasing. People's car purchases are often emotional quick decisions which are easily swayed by negative comments. No one wants to hear the "I told you so's"

That affects sales which is certainly a driver of stock price. It also puts a snowball into motion where "journalists and analysts" pull data and quotes and build a case to bolster their position.

If you are arguing that grass roots campaigns aren't effective, you're either deceptive or delusional.

wayne | October 16, 2019

I just got back from a short road trip in Colorado with mixed Highway and freeway driving and NOA worked amazingly well. I have figured out that sometimes when the car wants to change lanes I instinctively take my hand off the wheel which will cause it to abort.

Linebet | October 16, 2019

I had this problem several upgrades ago but it was corrected by an update. I just downloaded 32.12.2, and I hope the issue is not back.