Forums

Come To Me Consumer Reports Review

Come To Me Consumer Reports Review

bishoppeak | October 18, 2019

Delete your extra threads

jordanrichard | October 18, 2019

Since when does CR do good reviews......................

The only thing I will listen to from them is their customer satisfaction report. The one where they ask owners if they would buy or recommend a friend to buy a Tesla. Ultimately that is the only true measure of how good a car is because obviously any "reliability issues" a car has doesn't amount to anything or people wouldn't buy another one..

Hammonddave | October 18, 2019

You have to admit that Smart Summons is not ready for prime time. There is plenty of evidence on YouTube. Makes we wonder if they can’t get this right, how long will it be until FSD? And understand, I paid for FSD....

SamO | October 18, 2019

I have to admit?

What if summon has worked 20+ times perfectly in a range of circumstances?

Should I replace my judgement with Consumer Reports FUD?

Uh no thanks. I’ll choose personal experience for $200, Alex.

Darthamerica | October 18, 2019

Smart Summon isn’t something I would have been comfortable releasing at this point if it were up to me. I think it is cool but there is too much liability for a system that fails this often. I get it that at some point you just have to go for it but this is too soon.

SamO | October 18, 2019

Good thing decisions more complicate than getting food into your mouth hole are handled by people who understand things like science and business.

NKYTA | October 18, 2019

I'm not sure what DA has ever released, except more than his fair share of methane into the atmosphere.
Effingham shill.

Pardon the noise Dave, my pet trolls like following me around the forum.

inconel | October 18, 2019

I suspect smart summon is used as training ground for FSD. Tesla wanted it released as soon as possible.

Inconel yup I think so too. When you think about it, parking lots are even worse than city streets in terms of predictability. So you put the car here, learn for a looooong time(Tesla translation = soon), then move up from there. If this is the approach I see the logic therein. But judging based on the performance so far it doesn't seem reliable or safe enough yet for public release. I worry that a bad fender bender where someone gets hurt could set us back.

I suspect that just like AP1, Tesla is overly optimistic about what HW 2.5+ is capable of. It's not going to surprise me to see additional hardware being added in the near future.

2015P90DI | October 18, 2019

I watched it. The guy didn't say anything wrong. In fact, was a pretty accurate review. I know Tesla owners get butt hurt whenever someone speaks the truth about things that aren't perfect with the Tesla. We already know everything he said. His job isn't to inform Tesla owners that already have it, but to inform consumers that may be purchasing the car solely for that feature. As we all know, Elon likes to exaggerate some things. Someone simply reading about Smart Summon and purchasing the car solely based on that would be quite disappointed with its real world functionality at this time. But, that's not to say it's not still a cool as hell feature. I don't see any other car with it or anything close. I personally love it. But, just as with Auto Pilot, I understand and fully respect its limitations and use those features in situations where it is safe to do so and not be an ass to other motorists.

Tesla has chosen the path of releasing features in "Beta" mode. Great for us to be able to play with these features now instead of having to wait years for them to be absolutely perfected. These "beta" features are one of the primary reasons I own a Tesla. I love this stuff. Plus, doing so, allows Tesla to get real world data and improve it over time. Sure, we all take a little risk in that, but those that use it "intelligently", will only get enjoyment from the features. Those that are idiots with these features, then go post their stupidity on Youtube, are the ones that will likely be paying for costly repairs.

I personally believe that honesty, be it good or bad, is a good thing and helps Tesla grow. I'm not at all offended when people point out its flaws as I hope that those honest reviews will assist Tesla in becoming even better than they already are.

Shesmyne2 | October 18, 2019

+1 2015. Smart Summon is BETA.
Treat it as such.
And sorry, Darth- do you have to bring your negativity to every thread?

Still Grinning ;-)

jlhm | October 18, 2019

2015P90DI +1

It's not negativity. It's experience and reality.

akikiki | October 18, 2019

Sad. No one appreciates the effort or skill necessary to program an autonomous car to behave like a drunken driver or driver texting.

NKYTA | October 18, 2019

@DA, it has been proved that your experience fails physics 101, and a three years old concept to what a second is.

Thanks for playing. Why are you here and not on the wonderful Taycan forum?

RedShift | October 18, 2019

Because he likes following us around.

Mi75d | October 18, 2019

"Smart Summon" is a Mickey Mouse feature that doesn't actually work. I've tried it a dozen times in a well-marked empty parking lot and it fails every time. I set up the simplest possible scenarios and it fails every time. I would never show it to anyone.

"Smart" Summon needs to do two things. 1) Not run into cars, planters or curbs. 2) Determine a route from its current position to the summoner. It seems to do item 1) reasonably well. The car has almost no idea how to execute item 2).

If Tesla was serious, it would allow owners to sketch a suggested route on the picture of the parking lot within the app. Tens of millions of these user-supplied routes would provide training to improve the neural net.

Navigate on Autopilot is a case in point. Tesla provides the "autopilot" which drives the car within the rules. The "navigate" part is provided by Google, as far as I know. The car isn't trying random scenarios to get you to your destination.

Come on, Tesla.

2015P90DI | October 19, 2019

I do absolutely agree that, while in Beta mode, Tesla should allow the user to choose their own path, similar to google allowing you to drag and drop your path in Google Maps. This would provide Tesla with useful data in the most reasonable path the car should take. Will reduce controversy as the car will likely not get itself into unflattering situations and allow it to be a much more functional feature that people could rely on. The tech already exists, so I would think it could be implemented with relative ease for the genius scientists that work on the software.

Darthamerica | October 19, 2019

Users could zoom in and drop or trace waypoints... That and sensor data would be most helpful! But as is the approach is a disaster waiting to happen. The current sensor suite isn't situationally aware enough. Think about how many times you could tell someone about to back out wasn't paying attention. There are so many variables we as humans have instinctively evolved to recognize. Tesla is going to learn a lot but I hope the lessons get coded up in time to prevent something bad. There also needs to be some public education as well so that people know that they may encounter an autonomous vehicle and to use caution.

Mi75d | October 19, 2019

Darthamerica -

Maybe we need signs. "Baby AI on Board". "Teenage Neural Net!" "I Brake for Autonomous EVs".

Your public education comment is interesting, but I don't think so. If I was driving a ten year-old ICE beater car on a limited budget, I'd be pretty pissed off at a bunch of rich autonomous car drivers who demanded special privileges for their fancy cars that can't really drive themselves.

TeslaTap.com | October 19, 2019

I'm sure there are scenarios where it doesn't work. I used it myself two weeks ago, with some friends, watching. It worked perfectly. Surprisingly, it was at night in a non-lit parking lot, with plenty of cars around, but none moving. It did take a slightly longer route than I would have used, but not sure that matters.

Perhaps other automakers will offer smart summon in 2030 if they are still in business.

rxlawdude | October 19, 2019

@Md75d, I would like to report that Smart Summon in the parking lot of the Disneyland Hotel worked fine. Not Mickey Mouse at all.

True story.

Hammonddave | October 20, 2019

Again, I love my Model S... but I am also an objective consumer. Smart Summons is not ready for prime time. I have seen enough video proof to convince me of this.

Also, people seem to ignore a very serious fault in AP... it does not sense pot holes or other low level items that we always steer around to avoid. Ever run over a deep pothole at 60mph?

nukequazar | October 20, 2019

What a surprise that TeslaTap.com tried Smart Summon and it "worked perfectly!"

I tried it once in a very typical mall parking structure. It took a bad route driving through empty parking spaces right between tightly parked cars, and it was going too fast for that, in my opinion. If one of those car doors had opened quickly my Tesla would have hit it. Then it came to a stop near me but perpendicular to the lane, completely blocking traffic.

SamO | October 20, 2019

Tesla is a thinking persons car. Not all are equipped for ownership.

Darthamerica | October 20, 2019

No, Tesla is a car for someone willing to take the risk of using cutting edge technology which often isn't fully baked. The problem with that is many buyers are not truly aware that they are beta testers. Also other drivers, riders and pedestrians are also not aware that they are part of the test.

Pungoteague_Dave | October 20, 2019

AP in general reminds me of the Steve Martin film "The Jerk"

Best line: "I was born a poor black child"

Second best line: "You have a special purpose"

He becomes wealthy after inventing the Opti-Grab, a device to put on and remove eyeglasses. He initially becomes a millionaire after inventing the device, but goes bankrupt after it causes users to go cross-eyed.

Luv my AP, still think it represents existential risk to Tesla, notwithstanding caveats and user warnings to the contrary. Releasing stuff that sort-of-maybe-sometimes--almost always-mostly works into consumer hands often does not end well. High profile beheadings and other deaths on AP so far are mostly attributable to user error, but still would not have occurred without the existence of a user-supervised AP function. Cue the "Teslas are still safer than any other car in existence" choir....

nukequazar | October 20, 2019

Also, Tesla is risking a very real class action when more people start to realize that "Full Self Driving" is a scam, and that they have been charged a specific fee for it. I don't know about yours but my Mosel S just has TACC with lane keeping and GPS Nav integration. It is not even in the ballpark of autonomous driving, and I'm not convinced that the sensors and computers in my car could come much closer.

Pungoteague_Dave | October 20, 2019

Well, my car does do a couple party tricks that could be defined as self-driving (it does move under its own volition, steering, choosing routes, if only in controlled, slow scenarios), but I still see no way it will meet Elon's commitment of dropping the kids at school unattended, going on its own for service, serving as an unattended taxi, all by next year, probably ever.

The FSD goal seems laughable, but if he doesn't get there, it's what we expect anyway, correct? Perhaps this time it's actionable, but my sense is that the legal caveats may cover his over-exuberance. There are MANY examples of Elon not delivering promised functionality, and only two successful claims that we know about where they had to pay money to existing owners (P85D's in EU being the first). I think the lawyering may be better this time around.

The coast-to-coast FSD drive was supposed to be more than a year ago, still does not appear close. I remain skeptical about whether the current AP hardware can do the job, or even close, but Elon lands booster rockets on floating platforms, so am not placing any negative bets. I never believed the current version of smart summon could happen either. It is sorta here, at least in beta, so here's hoping to be amazed on FSD. My car "has" it, but I'm happy with the Raven X with or without further functionality, even though we "paid" for it. Anything beyond current functionality is a bonus IMO. Reduced expectations lead to positive surprises. Tesla would do well to take that approach in its marketing.

dougk71 | October 21, 2019

I'm not sure the very small staff at Consumers reports can cover all cars and at the same time dig into a highly technical car like a Tesla. It takes some effort to appreciate a Tesla. The reports I have read from Consumer reports involve things like engaging autopilot driving for 10 minutes and writing a report about its failures. Most of what was said contradicts my own experience with my car. Tesla is a car that you learn to drive like the need to only use the brake pedal except in an emergency. The Consumer Reports team for efficiency has to use the preconceived ideas they have developed for ICE cars. Perhaps in a few years they may have enough expertise with EV's to correctly report on them.

Mi75d | October 21, 2019

rxlawdude -

Great! I'm glad it worked for you. Given hundreds of thousands of users, I'm sure it works a percentage of the time.

I guess I'm unhappy with it because I see it as an attempt to distract us from the fact that, not only is Full Self Driving not feature-complete, as Elon promised, it's just not really happening at all.

I wonder if this isn't a case of Elon taking a page from Steve Jobs' book. The original iPhone was actually a really crappy at telephony, the putative purpose of a phone. But users never noticed, because it was so much fun to play with. Maybe Elon is hoping we won't notice that FSD, for which people now pay $6K, never really gets done.

2015P90DI | October 21, 2019

I tried it today, from inside the car, just to see. Backing out of parking spot. The car started backing out, just a second later, the car across the aisle also started backing out. I moved first, clearly my right of way, but she didn't stop. Nor did the Tesla on its own. I guess if I was outside of the car, lifting my finger off the button would have hopefully resulted in the car stopping INSTANTLY. My next test will be to see the actual lag time. Basically we ended up with less than a foot to spare. Being inside the car, in the driver's seat, allowed me to instantly hit the brake pedal and prevent the accident. While technically it would have been her fault, I would have been the one having to deal with the hassle of getting my car fixed. And, this happens almost daily in most parking lots. My human brain tells me to stop, regardless of who's right or wrong, simply to prevent the accident.

Smart summon is very cautious in many respects. Probably overly cautious in too many respects. But, at the same time, the car really doesn't like surprises. This being one of them. Had I been driving and not using Smart Summon, this would have never been given a second thought. Again, happens every day and is just part of driving in a parking lot. No big deal. Hit the brakes, wait a second and carry on. However, in this case, had I not been in the car and had there been even a spit second of lag time from the time I lifted my finger off the button to the car actually stopping, there absolutely would have been contact between the two cars.

I'm not one that tests the car in situations I already know it's not ready to handle. Just like I won't throw my 2 year old in the pool and hope he figures out how to swim on his own. I use it in a very protective manner. Partially for the car (Tesla) to learn but also for me to learn what it's capable of and what its weak points are. No different than how I have used AP since day one, very cautiously.

It's those "surprises" that make up the last 5% that Tesla is trying to perfect in the Full Self Driving aspect. It's a very hard 5% to achieve. Will it get there? Some day. But that day is still a ways off.

I could very well be that we may not get true autonomous driving until all cars on the road have the capability and can communicate directly with each other. Asking the car to make spit second decisions in the unique situations that we are presented with on a daily basis is quite the task. It's nearly impossible to program every possible potential scenario into the system. There millions on millions of potential calculations it would have to sort through to cover every possible scenario. What makes it more impossible, is that there are many scenarios that we as humans don't know how to handle yet, because they haven't happened yet. The computers are only as good as humans can program them to me.

This isn't a knock on Tesla in the slightest. It's absolutely incredible what they've been able to achieve. It just means that getting that last 5% is really that hard to achieve, for anyone, not just Tesla. Someday. In the meantime, enjoying going along for the ride as a beta tester.

dsteal | October 22, 2019

I watched an Elon video from not long ago. The tradeoff he mentioned makes perfect sense. He said if you make the car too cautious, it won't move. If it's not cautious enough, bad things will happen. It's a hard problem to solve and it's amazing that they have gotten this far.

He also said another interesting thing. If it's easier for me to walk to the car, the smart summon is kind of pointless. I would also add that I'm a little too scared to use the feature right now. There are too many things that can go wrong. Even if it works great 9 out of 10 times, that one time is enough to keep me walking to my car.

rxlawdude | October 22, 2019

"I guess I'm unhappy with it because I see it as an attempt to distract us .."

I guess that's all I need to read from that post.

bhanuk99 | October 22, 2019

Smart Summon has not successfully worked for me. I have tried at Costco lot after 7 pm on Sun when there are not that many cars; tried at high school parking lot; and few other private parking lots. So I don't bother with it anymore if people want to see that party trick. There are others who can contribute towards Tesla's data collection for Smart Summon and I can wait to use when it works for me.

Mike83 | October 22, 2019

Love it as most owners have said. Just used it today. It works best on cell internet on the phone. People can hardly believe it. I understand this is a big advancement and many people won't trust it initially or have brain blocks. Kind of like EAP, lane changing, Nav on AP, that is so smooth and common now but took some time to trust it. Although I know an old guy who has never used the old cruise control because he doesn't trust it. To each his own.
There are videos now of people timing each other using Come to Me.
Tesla going where no car has gone before. CR should stick to slow ICE vehicles and toaster ovens.