Forums

Silver Alert treated as phone call

Silver Alert treated as phone call

Friday morning during a drive, I felt my phone do a long buzz in my back pocket. An alert showed on the car display that there was an incoming call from my phone number or something. I answered and was greeted with a loud buzz or screeching sound. Later, after my drive, I saw the Silver Alert notification on my phone.

It seems ridiculous to treat a Silver Alert as a phone call that emits am unpleasant sound that does not help to convey useful information. I'm not sure if it's worth it to replace the sound with a text-to-speech reading of the message.

I'm wondering if this is a Tesla issue or an iPhone issue. Do Android owners experience the same sound issue?

redacted | October 26, 2019

What's a silver alert?

Anyway, as bluetooth is clearly treating this as a phone call, it's certainly a capability only a phone could provide. However, I don't recall any alerts actually providing voice with them (before I disabled them, after waking me in the middle of the night for something stupid).

TranzNDance | October 26, 2019

It's like the Amber alert but for older people who might have wandered off and could put themselves in danger.

TeslaTap.com | October 26, 2019

If it is sent as a phone call, I can't see how Tesla can stop it. The car has no knowledge that it's any different than any other phone call. I recommend disabling it in the phone's settings.

sentabo | October 26, 2019

"What's a silver alert?"

It's a warning about a certain picture that appeared here on this forum years ago. One should be afraid---very afraid.

NKYTA | October 26, 2019

lol

barrykmd | October 26, 2019

Sentabo - very good!

Tranz - personally, I've turned off the alerts on my phone except the serious one(s). Been a while, so I forget the details or what it's called. I know a Persidential alert can't be turned off.

When we start to get Presidential alerts I'll likely keep my phone powered off. I really don't relish getting a twitter strom of wild conspiracy theories and requests to dig up dirt on anyone he doesn't like.

nukequazar | October 26, 2019

So @TeslaTap, because Tesla infotainment and mobile phone integration is so terrible, you suggest disabling emergency alerts potentially leaving someone's life in danger? CarPlay simply plays the alert tone as any other notification, and it is then up to the user whether to look at the alert or not. If you're going to now go off on how dangerous Apple CarPlay is, these alerts are government sanctioned and are platform-independent.

This is a new low for your Tesla cult mentality.

NKYTA | October 26, 2019

@nuke, “so terrible”?

Yeah, it’s trash. Needs more buttons.
“I need to have my texts read to me while I drive!” Nope, I’m not that self-important.

What have you done for the Tesla community in the last 8 years except whine?

https://teslatap.com/ Thanks TT!

@nuke - cool - I didn't know CarPlay forces you to get annoying alerts! If you like the alerts, great, keep them.

I've never gotten one that had any useful information, but have gotten many that had no value. Once you start getting multiple useless alerts a day, they become so much noise to be ignored. Yes, it's sad that there is no means to filter the junk from the maybe useful. Government-sanctioned doesn't mean they are useful either. Just ask anyone in Hawaii who were scared to death when the fake incoming missle alert blared over everyone's phone.

TranzNDance | October 26, 2019

The alert appears like a push notification on the phone with an accompanying sound. It's not really a phone call but it is treated as a call by the car. If it's a Bluetooth thing, would the loud sound play in people's headsets?

There are three types of government alerts and I can't find info on which one silver alerts fall under.

@TeslaTap, you don't know what an amber (or silver in this poster's case) alert is?

I've gotten many amber alerts, not sure about silver. The OP didn't state if the alert was important to him or not. As far as I can tell, you can't disable them. You may be able to stop the annoying full volume alert sounds - it may depend on your phone/OS. Now if you're in a wildfire alert area, it could save your life, so it can have value - just depends on where you are and your concern level. I'm not too worried about missles or fires where I am. Getting an amber alert with some license plate while at home is fairly useless too. Getting woken up from one of these amber alerts at 3 am is really annoying.

@TeslaTap, you're comparing the terrible mistake in Hawaii to child abduction alerts that come rarely and may save a child's life?

Your Tesla cult mind warp is out of control today.

https://www.forensicmag.com/news/2016/10/amber-alert-20-years-and-841-ch...

sentabo | October 26, 2019

^ Not worth your time, TT.

I’m starting to understand. Narcissism runs deep in the Tesla cult. I never mind an Amber alert whether I can help at that moment or not. It means somebody’s child is missing. End of story.

@sentabo - Agreed.

redacted | October 26, 2019

@nukequazar, I'm curious about your moral theory. You imply we have a moral obligation to keep our alerts turned on. Do we also have an obligation to go searching for the missing person (say if it's an amber alert)? Are we obligated to look without rest until the child is found?

@redacted, pretty dumb question but ok. Personally I don’t have time to spend my days searching for every missing person. However, taking note of a car model/color/plate and keeping my eyes open for it is reasonable, and I think if you’re not willing to do that you’re pretty selfish.

SbMD | October 26, 2019

@Tranz - If you want to turn it off on an iPhone, you can turn it off under settings (look under settings, notifications, Government alerts). Android phones have similar settings.

redacted | October 27, 2019

@nukequazar thank you. Questions aren't dumb if you're trying to understand why somebody would think or act the way they do.