Forums

New to owning Tesla- Help needed understanding Enhanced Autopilot

New to owning Tesla- Help needed understanding Enhanced Autopilot

Apologies in advance as I have tried to read through the forums and various information online. I just purchased a 2018 Model S 100D- it has enhanced auto pilot. I am trying to understand if that means I will eventually get the self driving features in the future or if I need to try to upgrade. When I look at my Tesla account it confirms I have the enhanced auto pilot on the car. However there is also an option to buy a 4K Auto Pilot Upgrade...however when reading the description of upgrade "Fully Self Driving Capability" it describes all of the features I currently have such as navigate on autopilot, lane change, etc.. So does this mean that my enhanced auto pilot will eventually upgrade to fully self driving when they roll out more features?

Appreciate any insights!

Mi75d | November 19, 2019

Talk to a Tesla sales rep. If the used car you bought has Enhanced AutoPilot, it is also probably getting over the air updates to improve it. If you have EAP, I don’t think that there is something extra, an Autopilot upgrade, to buy. I think the next purchase you would consider is whether to by FSD full self-driving.

TeslaTap.com | November 19, 2019

@themoores - Mi75d nailed it. There is an FSD option separate from EAP, that will provide a number of future features. Here's a current list of the different variations: https://teslatap.com/articles/autopilot-processors-and-hardware-mcu-hw-d... In the table, the last two columns show EAP (what you have) and FSD.

themoores | November 19, 2019

Thank you!! Yes i can confirm I am getting updates improving the features -- I was hoping maybe that meant that the previous owner had already purchased the FSD option so perhaps I was going to automatically get the FSD once it became available :) I will be sure to keep an eye out for the option to upgrade to FSD once that comes out
Thank you for the information!

EVRider | November 19, 2019

@themoores: If you buy the FSD option now, which apparently will cost you $4,000, you'll get a free upgrade to the new HW3 (aka FSD) computer, but you won't get any new features yet. You'll also avoid any future price increases. If you're sure you will be FSD at some point, it might be wise to do it now. Before Nov 1, it would have cost you $3,000 to add FSD.

EVRider | November 19, 2019

If you're sure you will want FSD...

themoores | November 19, 2019

Okay thank you!